External Hard Drive - Too Hot

I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
RPM drives will be hot.

True??

I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
images. I can power it off when it's not being used.

Thanks, Allen
--
C and A Bredt
9 answers Last reply

    Some external enclosures have a built in fan. These are far preferable.

    "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
    > that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
    > RPM drives will be hot.
    >
    > True??
    >
    > I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
    > images. I can power it off when it's not being used.
    >
    > Thanks, Allen
    > --
    > C and A Bredt

    Do you happen to know which brands have a fan or how I can find out. That
    info soesn't seem to be on the boxes.

    --
    C and A Bredt
    "Kesey Larkin" <nospam@no-spam.irl> wrote in message
    > Some external enclosures have a built in fan. These are far preferable.
    >
    > "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
    > > that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the
    7200
    > > RPM drives will be hot.
    > >
    > > True??
    > >
    > > I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
    > > images. I can power it off when it's not being used.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Allen
    > > --
    > > C and A Bredt

    Sometimes it is a good idea to purchase external cases seperate from
    the hard drive. That way you can get a roomier and one with a decent
    fan. I have 5 External Enclosure with 3 7200 rpm large hard drives
    and 2 DVD burners and they do run a cooler hard drive than the ones
    that sometimes come with the drive have no room or even fans. The
    ones I buy are a combo firewire and USB 2 connection. I have never
    paid more than $40 for them. The model is the ME-320 series. Ebay is
    a good source and http://shop.store.yahoo.com/qtek/mese3exenm.html is
    another.

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:34:34 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
    <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:

    >I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
    >that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
    >RPM drives will be hot.
    >
    >True??
    >
    >I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
    >images. I can power it off when it's not being used.
    >
    >Thanks, Allen

    > I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
    > that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
    > RPM drives will be hot.

    I had an internal Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm and I noticed it got "very" hot during
    normal operation. I just had a gut feeling that this amount of heat would
    greatly shorten the life of the drive so I returned it for a refund.

    I have (4) Maxtor 160GB 5400 rpm and they run very cool. Why so much heat with
    a couple thousands more RPMs?

    <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:

    >I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
    >that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
    >RPM drives will be hot.
    >
    >True??

    I have five external Maxtor One Touch hard drives and they do get
    pretty hot to the touch.

    Geez, the majority if not all new drives run at 7200rpms. I am not
    even sure if you can buy a 5400. That said there are 10,000 rpm
    drives being sold. I have to maxtors 200gig and 250 gig internal and
    2 external 160 gig and a 250 gig with a spacious external case with a
    fan. The external 200 has been in 3 computers at times and is over 18
    months old. If these 7200 drives had any problems then it would have
    been well documented by now. Going back to old hardware is not the
    awnser. Proper air flow and not operating in extreme external heat is
    about the only thing needed. Paranoia and gut feeling do not compete
    against history and logic.

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:46:20 -0400, "TJM" <tjm@nospam.com> wrote:

    >> I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
    >> that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
    >> RPM drives will be hot.
    >
    >I had an internal Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm and I noticed it got "very" hot during
    >normal operation. I just had a gut feeling that this amount of heat would
    >greatly shorten the life of the drive so I returned it for a refund.
    >
    >I have (4) Maxtor 160GB 5400 rpm and they run very cool. Why so much heat with
    >a couple thousands more RPMs?

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:34:34 GMT, the cup of "Carol and Allen Bredt"
    <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> overfloweth with the following:

    > I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
    > that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
    > RPM drives will be hot.
    >
    > True??
    >
    > I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
    > images. I can power it off when it's not being used.
    >
    > Thanks, Allen

    I am regularly using a LaCie external 250Gb Firewire HDD (the Porsche design
    model) and it gets midly warm, but definitely not hot. Has performed
    flawlessly so far ...

    Stan

    "Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Sometimes it is a good idea to purchase external cases seperate from
    > the hard drive. That way you can get a roomier and one with a decent
    > fan. I have 5 External Enclosure with 3 7200 rpm large hard drives
    > and 2 DVD burners and they do run a cooler hard drive than the ones
    > that sometimes come with the drive have no room or even fans. The
    > ones I buy are a combo firewire and USB 2 connection. I have never
    > paid more than $40 for them. The model is the ME-320 series. Ebay is
    > a good source and http://shop.store.yahoo.com/qtek/mese3exenm.html is
    > another.

    Donald,
    I have used this case, it works well, stays real cool with its internal
    exhaust fan and power switch on the rear
    so you can turn it off easily when it's not being used. That is a great
    price also considering I just seen do it yourself external cases that aren't
    as nice being sold in Best Buy this week for double that price!
    Good Advice,

    AnthonyR

    "Jim Gunn" <Jim_Gunn@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:34:34 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
    > <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
    >>that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
    >>RPM drives will be hot.
    >>
    >>True??
    >
    > I have five external Maxtor One Touch hard drives and they do get
    > pretty hot to the touch.

    Jim, That's because Maxtor external cases are cheap, made with no fan, to
    save money
    and so they can claim runs quiet.
    The normal HD can last many many years, outlast most computer cpu's
    usefulness. But when not cooled properly
    the life expectancy drops dramatically. I suspect maxtor feels the drives
    will at least last the warranty period without a fan or they wouldn't be
    selling these. But the warranty is what, one year now?
    Anyway, they can't stay in business if these things last forever, lol, so
    the case with no fan might be good for their business in the long run, more
    replacement sales. :)
    I bought two external cases for my external HD's both with fans, one being
    aluminum to see the difference, they both cool and run really well, the
    plastic one is just as good at cooling as the aluminum one. No need to pay
    extra unless you like the thin slim look of the newer aluminum cases, it has
    front mount twin internal fans drawing air into the hard drive at an angle,
    that works well too.

    AnthonyR.

Tuner Cards External Hard Drive Desktops Video Hard Drives Maxtor Graphics