External Hard Drive - Too Hot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2004 3:34:34 AM

I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
RPM drives will be hot.

True??

I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
images. I can power it off when it's not being used.

Thanks, Allen
--
C and A Bredt
Anonymous

Some external enclosures have a built in fan. These are far preferable.

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
> that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
> RPM drives will be hot.
>
> True??
>
> I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
> images. I can power it off when it's not being used.
>
> Thanks, Allen
> --
> C and A Bredt

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 3:56:02 AM

Do you happen to know which brands have a fan or how I can find out. That
info soesn't seem to be on the boxes.

--
C and A Bredt
"Kesey Larkin" <nospam@no-spam.irl> wrote in message
> Some external enclosures have a built in fan. These are far preferable.
>
> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
> > that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the
7200
> > RPM drives will be hot.
> >
> > True??
> >
> > I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
> > images. I can power it off when it's not being used.
> >
> > Thanks, Allen
> > --
> > C and A Bredt

October 24, 2004 8:30:18 AM

Sometimes it is a good idea to purchase external cases seperate from
the hard drive. That way you can get a roomier and one with a decent
fan. I have 5 External Enclosure with 3 7200 rpm large hard drives
and 2 DVD burners and they do run a cooler hard drive than the ones
that sometimes come with the drive have no room or even fans. The
ones I buy are a combo firewire and USB 2 connection. I have never
paid more than $40 for them. The model is the ME-320 series. Ebay is
a good source and http://shop.store.yahoo.com/qtek/mese3exenm.html is
another.

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:34:34 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
<abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:

>I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
>that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
>RPM drives will be hot.
>
>True??
>
>I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
>images. I can power it off when it's not being used.
>
>Thanks, Allen
October 24, 2004 2:46:20 PM

> I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
> that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
> RPM drives will be hot.

I had an internal Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm and I noticed it got "very" hot during
normal operation. I just had a gut feeling that this amount of heat would
greatly shorten the life of the drive so I returned it for a refund.

I have (4) Maxtor 160GB 5400 rpm and they run very cool. Why so much heat with
a couple thousands more RPMs?
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 8:48:55 PM

<abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:

>I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
>that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
>RPM drives will be hot.
>
>True??

I have five external Maxtor One Touch hard drives and they do get
pretty hot to the touch.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 3:13:22 AM

Geez, the majority if not all new drives run at 7200rpms. I am not
even sure if you can buy a 5400. That said there are 10,000 rpm
drives being sold. I have to maxtors 200gig and 250 gig internal and
2 external 160 gig and a 250 gig with a spacious external case with a
fan. The external 200 has been in 3 computers at times and is over 18
months old. If these 7200 drives had any problems then it would have
been well documented by now. Going back to old hardware is not the
awnser. Proper air flow and not operating in extreme external heat is
about the only thing needed. Paranoia and gut feeling do not compete
against history and logic.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:46:20 -0400, "TJM" <tjm@nospam.com> wrote:

>> I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
>> that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
>> RPM drives will be hot.
>
>I had an internal Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm and I noticed it got "very" hot during
>normal operation. I just had a gut feeling that this amount of heat would
>greatly shorten the life of the drive so I returned it for a refund.
>
>I have (4) Maxtor 160GB 5400 rpm and they run very cool. Why so much heat with
>a couple thousands more RPMs?

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 3:34:45 AM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:34:34 GMT, the cup of "Carol and Allen Bredt"
<abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> overfloweth with the following:

> I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
> that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
> RPM drives will be hot.
>
> True??
>
> I plan to use it for backup of my hard drive and thousands of digital
> images. I can power it off when it's not being used.
>
> Thanks, Allen

I am regularly using a LaCie external 250Gb Firewire HDD (the Porsche design
model) and it gets midly warm, but definitely not hot. Has performed
flawlessly so far ...

Stan
October 25, 2004 9:39:13 PM

"Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes it is a good idea to purchase external cases seperate from
> the hard drive. That way you can get a roomier and one with a decent
> fan. I have 5 External Enclosure with 3 7200 rpm large hard drives
> and 2 DVD burners and they do run a cooler hard drive than the ones
> that sometimes come with the drive have no room or even fans. The
> ones I buy are a combo firewire and USB 2 connection. I have never
> paid more than $40 for them. The model is the ME-320 series. Ebay is
> a good source and http://shop.store.yahoo.com/qtek/mese3exenm.html is
> another.

Donald,
I have used this case, it works well, stays real cool with its internal
exhaust fan and power switch on the rear
so you can turn it off easily when it's not being used. That is a great
price also considering I just seen do it yourself external cases that aren't
as nice being sold in Best Buy this week for double that price!
Good Advice,

AnthonyR
October 25, 2004 9:47:25 PM

"Jim Gunn" <Jim_Gunn@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:34:34 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
> <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I bought a Maxtor 250 Gig External Hard Drive 7200 RPM and it ran so hot
>>that I returned it. The store took it back, but said that all of the 7200
>>RPM drives will be hot.
>>
>>True??
>
> I have five external Maxtor One Touch hard drives and they do get
> pretty hot to the touch.

Jim, That's because Maxtor external cases are cheap, made with no fan, to
save money
and so they can claim runs quiet.
The normal HD can last many many years, outlast most computer cpu's
usefulness. But when not cooled properly
the life expectancy drops dramatically. I suspect maxtor feels the drives
will at least last the warranty period without a fan or they wouldn't be
selling these. But the warranty is what, one year now?
Anyway, they can't stay in business if these things last forever, lol, so
the case with no fan might be good for their business in the long run, more
replacement sales. :)
I bought two external cases for my external HD's both with fans, one being
aluminum to see the difference, they both cool and run really well, the
plastic one is just as good at cooling as the aluminum one. No need to pay
extra unless you like the thin slim look of the newer aluminum cases, it has
front mount twin internal fans drawing air into the hard drive at an angle,
that works well too.

AnthonyR.
!