Upgrade to SP2?

Hi,

Currently I have one desktop and one notebook computers with Win XP
Professional SP1 installed on both of them. They are connected via Belkin
802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router F5D 7230-4 to a cable modem. My
notebook is connected to the router with Belkin 802.11g Wireless Notebook
Network Card F5D7010.

Router and the Wireless card have the latest firmware and drivers

For the moment my LAN (Broadband connection, File/printer sharing) work
fine.

I would like to upgrade WinXP with SP2 in order to improve the wireless
security, however I am not sure if my LAN will work after the upgrade.

Belkin could not provide answer to the above question.

Can you advise please if it is wise to go ahead and upgrade with SP2?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Anton Ratchev

Lance

The most important part of an upgrade to SP2 is to ensure your computer
is free of viruses, adware and spyware before the upgrade is performed.
If XP RTM or SP1 absolutely squeaky-clean, the SP2 install will go smoothly.

I follow the instructions here:

Service Pack 2 Pre-Installation Checklist (Jupiter Jones, MVP):
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

and use the "Network Install" version of SP2. The checklist on the
website is very long, but every single item is there because it prevents
problems others had with their SP2 install.

To this checklist I also peek at Winsock and fixing anything
that looks suspicious:
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Also, fixing any critical errors I see in the Event Viewer.

I would also familiarize myself with the biggest changes in XPSP2:

User-level how-tos (Firewall, Security Center, IE Popup Blocker):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

Lance
*****