How do you monitor your DV output?

I'm putting together a simple DV editing system for a producer-friend of
mine. How rents a DV1000 when he needs to do some shooting and would
like to be able to rought-edit his own material.

Anyway, my question is this. I can set him up with a simple firewire
card and edit package but how can I give him a simple way to monitor his
DV output? That is, is there anything besides investing in a Canopus
ADVC-100 to get the DV out to a composite video monitor for viewing.
Remember, he does not own a DV camera.

What are other folks using?

Thanks,
George

G.I.O. wrote:
> I'm putting together a simple DV editing system for a producer-friend
> of mine. How rents a DV1000 when he needs to do some shooting and
> would like to be able to rought-edit his own material.
>
> Anyway, my question is this. I can set him up with a simple firewire
> card and edit package but how can I give him a simple way to monitor
> his DV output? That is, is there anything besides investing in a
> Canopus ADVC-100 to get the DV out to a composite video monitor for
> viewing. Remember, he does not own a DV camera.
>
> What are other folks using?
>
> Thanks,
> George

For many of us, the Canopus box is the "preferred" way to do it. However,
an alternative is to try and buy a used DV camcorder that needs mechanical
repairs but can still function as a pass-through device. Should be cheaper
than a Canopus.

Mike

"G.I.O." wrote ...
> I'm putting together a simple DV editing system for a producer-friend of
> mine. How rents a DV1000 when he needs to do some shooting and would
> like to be able to rought-edit his own material.
>
> Anyway, my question is this. I can set him up with a simple firewire
> card and edit package but how can I give him a simple way to monitor his
> DV output?

Why? The two capture applications I use (Premiere and Scenalyzer)
both display the image on the computer screen. Dunno why any other
monitor would be necessary?

> Why? The two capture applications I use (Premiere and Scenalyzer)
> both display the image on the computer screen. Dunno why any other
> monitor would be necessary?

In order for me to be consistent for broadcast I have to use an NTSC monitor
along with the computer monitor which, is not interlaced. Viewing motion
NTSC on a computer monitor is inaccurate. I don't know wny editors who
actually ship finals without viewing on an NTSC monitor.

To the OP.

The real difference between a cheap camera, a Canopus bridge or the Sony
bridge and a decent deck is the conversion from DV back to audio and video.
I have a bridge that I normally use but for example, the sudio out of the
Sony bridge doesn't ever sound as good as the audio oout of the Sony DV
Deck. So if I am going to be EQing audio or finalizing an edit I always
listen through the deck.

"a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>
>> Why? The two capture applications I use (Premiere and Scenalyzer)
>> both display the image on the computer screen. Dunno why any other
>> monitor would be necessary?
>>

> In order for me to be consistent for broadcast I have to use an NTSC
> monitor along with the computer monitor which, is not interlaced. Viewing
> motion NTSC on a computer monitor is inaccurate. I don't know wny editors
> who actually ship finals without viewing on an NTSC monitor.
>
> To the OP.
>
> The real difference between a cheap camera, a Canopus bridge or the Sony
> bridge and a decent deck is the conversion from DV back to audio and
> video. I have a bridge that I normally use but for example, the sudio out
> of the Sony bridge doesn't ever sound as good as the audio oout of the
> Sony DV Deck. So if I am going to be EQing audio or finalizing an edit I
> always listen through the deck.

Sorry, I misunderstood the question to be about monitoring only
during capture. Most certainly, I agree with Mr. Vowels that one
must have a "real" video monitor (NOT a computer monitor) for
any kind of serious video editing. How you can accomplish this
depends somewhat on what hardware you already have, and what
edit software you are using.

rs

Most editing apps include a capture routine and they typically allow one to
monitor what is being captured. Typically you can controll the DV cam here
and either capture a whole tape at once, or scan the tape and set in and out
points for material you you and then go back and capture just that. It
typically provide a small windows to allow you to see thats on the tape.
Additionally, the DV cam LCD should also display.