Captured video slightly stretched horizontally

I've been converting analog video from my Sony Hi8 camcorder to DVD
video for about a year now using an AverMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card
(this is a version that's about a year old, and appears to use the NEC
7130 chip). I've always had a vague notion that people seem to be a
bit fatter on the DVD than in the original video, and I finally
decided to take some calbration video to see if it's just my
imagination or not.

I shot a minute of video of my entertainment center, since it provides
lots of nice vertical and horizontal lines. I then encoded the video
to MPEG-2 and created a DVD in the "normal" fashion (see below). I
played the video back on the camcorder on the TV, and put Post-It
notes on various horizontal and vertical lines. Then I played the
same footage on the DVD player (same TV) and compared the image to the
Post-It notes. What I found is that the Post-Its measuring vertical
positioning were perfectly aligned, but in the horizontal direction
the image was slightly shifted to the left and "wider" than the
original.

I've monkeyed with a bunch of variables, and none seems to make any
difference. Originally, I was capturing using VirtualVCR to a huffyuv
encoded AVI at 720x480 resolution, encoding using TMPGEnc to encode to
MPEG-2 specifying the 4:3 NTSC aspect ratio, and using Pinnacle Studio
8 to author it to DVD. I've tried every combination of capturing at
720x480 or 704x480 and encoding telling TMPGEnc to use a 4:3 NTSC or
4:3 NTSC 704x480 ratio, with no change in the output (this by itself
seems strange to me - you'd think that capturing at 720 and encoding
at 704 or vice versa would have SOME difference, but the resulting
video files are visually identical).

I've even gone back to the neoDVD standard software that came with the
capture card to do the capture/encoding/authoring, but the resulting
video has the same weird stretching effect.

I seem to have eliminated all the possible software culprits. Is my
capture card just wacky? Or is there some setting somewhere that I
haven't thought of trying yet?

I'd hate to have to go out and buy another capture card - it was
something of a pain selecting this one originally, and I ended up
buying something unexpected (I had read reviews of this card that said
it used the bt8x8 chip, but found after I purchased it that AverMedia
had switched to the NEC chip). I remember that the supposed USB
hardware MPEG-2 devices I tried had had an unacceptable level of
compression artifacts, even when used on a USB2 port which should have
allowed it to go to maximum quality - not sure if this has changed or
not in the last year.

AnthonyR

Hey Thomas,
I have no suggestions as to what else for you to try and whether it is your
hardware or not.
Does your camcorder have any possible settings? like widescreen capture
maybe?

That exact same card is onsale this month at www.Tigerdirect.com for only
$24 after rebates, not bad.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=1423
There is also a USB2 external card for $29 after rebates and I am sure the
artifacts of the past were when used with USB1 and the limit it had for
mpeg2 settings, I am sure this wouldn't be a problem using USB2 now.

AnthonyR.

"Thomas Lew" <dejatom2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been converting analog video from my Sony Hi8 camcorder to DVD
> video for about a year now using an AverMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card
> (this is a version that's about a year old, and appears to use the NEC
> 7130 chip). I've always had a vague notion that people seem to be a
> bit fatter on the DVD than in the original video, and I finally
> decided to take some calbration video to see if it's just my
> imagination or not.
>
> I shot a minute of video of my entertainment center, since it provides
> lots of nice vertical and horizontal lines. I then encoded the video
> to MPEG-2 and created a DVD in the "normal" fashion (see below). I
> played the video back on the camcorder on the TV, and put Post-It
> notes on various horizontal and vertical lines. Then I played the
> same footage on the DVD player (same TV) and compared the image to the
> Post-It notes. What I found is that the Post-Its measuring vertical
> positioning were perfectly aligned, but in the horizontal direction
> the image was slightly shifted to the left and "wider" than the
> original.
>
> I've monkeyed with a bunch of variables, and none seems to make any
> difference. Originally, I was capturing using VirtualVCR to a huffyuv
> encoded AVI at 720x480 resolution, encoding using TMPGEnc to encode to
> MPEG-2 specifying the 4:3 NTSC aspect ratio, and using Pinnacle Studio
> 8 to author it to DVD. I've tried every combination of capturing at
> 720x480 or 704x480 and encoding telling TMPGEnc to use a 4:3 NTSC or
> 4:3 NTSC 704x480 ratio, with no change in the output (this by itself
> seems strange to me - you'd think that capturing at 720 and encoding
> at 704 or vice versa would have SOME difference, but the resulting
> video files are visually identical).
>
> I've even gone back to the neoDVD standard software that came with the
> capture card to do the capture/encoding/authoring, but the resulting
> video has the same weird stretching effect.
>
> I seem to have eliminated all the possible software culprits. Is my
> capture card just wacky? Or is there some setting somewhere that I
> haven't thought of trying yet?
>
> I'd hate to have to go out and buy another capture card - it was
> something of a pain selecting this one originally, and I ended up
> buying something unexpected (I had read reviews of this card that said
> it used the bt8x8 chip, but found after I purchased it that AverMedia
> had switched to the NEC chip). I remember that the supposed USB
> hardware MPEG-2 devices I tried had had an unacceptable level of
> compression artifacts, even when used on a USB2 port which should have
> allowed it to go to maximum quality - not sure if this has changed or
> not in the last year.

"Thomas Lew" <dejatom2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Sounds like the pixel aspect ratio is being changed. It needs to be set
to suit the device the video will be viewed on.

http://www.mir.com/DMG/aspect.html

"iefisher" <iefisher@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Thomas Lew" <dejatom2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> Sounds like the pixel aspect ratio is being changed. It needs to be set
> to suit the device the video will be viewed on.
>
> http://www.mir.com/DMG/aspect.html

You might try running some captured MPEG through
VideoReDo and seeing if changing the header values
has any effect. You can change the MPEG2 bit rate and
aspect ratio header fields by pressing the "Options" button
in the file output dialog.

www.VideoReDo.com

Luck;
Ken

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message news:<iOYed.97041$Ot3.19929@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> Hey Thomas,
> I have no suggestions as to what else for you to try and whether it is your
> hardware or not.
> Does your camcorder have any possible settings? like widescreen capture
> maybe?

The camcorder is just an analog Hi8 camcorder, so it doesn't "know"
anything about the capture. It's merely playing the tape. I've tried
capturing using the camcorder's composite output and S-video output to
see if it makes a difference, and it doesn't. When I'm comparing the
camcorder output to the DVD encoded output, I'm playing out through
the same composite output that I used for the capture.

> There is also a USB2 external card for $29 after rebates and I am sure the
> artifacts of the past were when used with USB1 and the limit it had for
> mpeg2 settings, I am sure this wouldn't be a problem using USB2 now.

I was using a USB 2.0 capture device when I tried it a year ago; it
was a Pinnacle Studio MovieBox USB (version 8 at the time, although I
think that only referes to the version of Pinnacle Studio that came
bundled with it). It was supposedly running at full USB 2.0 speed and
reportedly would encode up to 8000kbps, but I wasn't impressed with
the hardware MPEG-2 encoder. My test footage at the time was video
shot at Lake Shasta of a speedboat passing by with pine trees in the
background. There were MAJOR compression artifacts in the tree area
(looked like someone had taken a paintbrush in a watercolor painting
and just blurred them all together; similar problem with the waves in
the water to a certain extent) whereas when I captured using the
method described in my original post with the AVerMedia DVD EZMaker
PCI (huffyuv AVI -> TMPGEnc) the trees and water looked just as crisp
on the final DVD as they did in the original camcorder footage. Even
a "head shot" of my kid sitting in front of an RV singing showed some
major compression artifacts in the RV in the background when captured
via the hardware MPEG-2 encoder, which disappeared when captured
through the other method.

Now, if anyone knows of a USB2.0 capture device that lets you capture
raw uncompressed footage, that might be a different story.

Of course, ideally I'd like some way to "fix" the distortion problem
on my AVerMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card if possible.

On 24 Oct 2004 18:08:33 -0700, dejatom2002@yahoo.com (Thomas Lew) wrote:

>I've always had a vague notion that people seem to be a
>bit fatter on the DVD than in the original video

A very common occurence when using an analog card for capturing 720x480
or 720x576. It depends on the capture chip. Some stretch your video. You
can avoid it by capturing at the correct resolution and then adding
small black bars left and right.

Read the analog capture guide at doom9.org.
http://www.doom9.org/capture/start.html

Part 10: Determining the capture window of a capture card.
http://www.doom9.org/capture/capture_window.html