Remote Desktop Connection

July 1, 2004 12:27:42 AM

I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
But maybe I am just daft.

I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
"client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.

My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
better all possible ideas?

Thanks
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:12:38 AM

You need to have TCP Port 3389 forwarded/opened through any firewall/NAT/router that you might have
at the work end...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Student" <marcellogiu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
> find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
> But maybe I am just daft.
>
> I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
> both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
> another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
> I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
> "client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.
>
> My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
> get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
> better all possible ideas?
>
> Thanks

---
July 6, 2004 3:36:56 PM

Thanks Al but how do I open that port.

"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<er2$Sx1XEHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> You need to have TCP Port 3389 forwarded/opened through any firewall/NAT/router that you might have
> at the work end...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Student" <marcellogiu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
> > find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
> > But maybe I am just daft.
> >
> > I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
> > both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
> > another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
> > I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
> > "client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.
> >
> > My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
> > get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
> > better all possible ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
>

> ---
July 6, 2004 6:15:26 PM

It depends on what firewall/NAT/router your behind...

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

For the Windows ICF look at this page and modify as needed...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC...

--

> Thanks Al but how do I open that port.
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> You need to have TCP Port 3389 forwarded/opened through any firewall/NAT/router that you might
>> have
>> at the work end...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Student" <marcellogiu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
>> > find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
>> > But maybe I am just daft.
>> >
>> > I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
>> > both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
>> > another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
>> > I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
>> > "client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.
>> >
>> > My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
>> > get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
>> > better all possible ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks

---
July 6, 2004 8:53:01 PM

The router usually has a "port forwarding" feature. You must specify that you are forwarding port 3389 to your PC's internal IP. I usually assign a fixed IP to PC's that will be accessed remotely.

This method limits you to one PC that can be accessed remotely, however.

I use SSH (Secure Shell) which uses port 22. Then with the SSH client, I forward to whatever PC I want. This method lets you open one port to access many PC's. SSH also has encryption (128 Bit, DES 3, etc.).