Remote Desktop Connection

I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
But maybe I am just daft.

I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
"client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.

My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
better all possible ideas?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection

    You need to have TCP Port 3389 forwarded/opened through any firewall/NAT/router that you might have
    at the work end...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Student" <marcellogiu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
    > find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
    > But maybe I am just daft.
    >
    > I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
    > both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
    > another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
    > I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
    > "client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.
    >
    > My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
    > get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
    > better all possible ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    ---

    Thanks Al but how do I open that port.

    "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<er2$Sx1XEHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > You need to have TCP Port 3389 forwarded/opened through any firewall/NAT/router that you might have
    > at the work end...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Student" <marcellogiu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
    > > find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
    > > But maybe I am just daft.
    > >
    > > I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
    > > both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
    > > another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
    > > I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
    > > "client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.
    > >
    > > My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
    > > get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
    > > better all possible ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >

    > ---

    It depends on what firewall/NAT/router your behind...

    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

    For the Windows ICF look at this page and modify as needed...

    http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    --

    > Thanks Al but how do I open that port.
    >
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> You need to have TCP Port 3389 forwarded/opened through any firewall/NAT/router that you might
    >> have
    >> at the work end...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "Student" <marcellogiu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> >I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
    >> > find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
    >> > But maybe I am just daft.
    >> >
    >> > I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
    >> > both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
    >> > another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
    >> > I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
    >> > "client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.
    >> >
    >> > My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
    >> > get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
    >> > better all possible ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    ---

    The router usually has a "port forwarding" feature. You must specify that you are forwarding port 3389 to your PC's internal IP. I usually assign a fixed IP to PC's that will be accessed remotely.

    This method limits you to one PC that can be accessed remotely, however.

    I use SSH (Secure Shell) which uses port 22. Then with the SSH client, I forward to whatever PC I want. This method lets you open one port to access many PC's. SSH also has encryption (128 Bit, DES 3, etc.).

    "Student" wrote:

    > Thanks Al but how do I open that port.
    >
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<er2$Sx1XEHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > > You need to have TCP Port 3389 forwarded/opened through any firewall/NAT/router that you might have
    > > at the work end...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >
    > > "Student" <marcellogiu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > >I know this is a question you hear a million times, but I couldn't
    > > > find the simple answer I needed on the microsoft site or the threads.
    > > > But maybe I am just daft.
    > > >
    > > > I am trying to remote connect from my home to work. Home and work
    > > > both running xp and I have my work IP. I can remote access from
    > > > another computer at my work (in the same network) to the work computer
    > > > I wish to access from home. However when I try from home I get the
    > > > "client could not connect to the remote computer..." error.
    > > >
    > > > My IT guy at work is gone for a couple weeks so it would be nice to
    > > > get some sort of solution before then. Any ideas, or maybe even
    > > > better all possible ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > >

    > > ---

Remote Desktop Connection Microsoft Windows XP