Dial-up vpn connection

Howie

Hi, I am experiencing problems with dial-up vpn connections.

At work we have a win2k server with a watchguard firebox. Clients attempt to connect via vpn using win xp pro on laptops and desktops and dial-up phone lines. Once in a while the connection works, people can access folders, subfolders, files and synchronize e-mail.

Usually though when connected and navigating to folders on the server using windows explorer they receive "not responding".

I hope someone is able to help. I'll provide more information if needed.

Regards

Howie

That is normal (unfortunately) when using VPNs - it is getting data
slowly from the server and explorer will temporarily hang.. It will
resolve itself when it gets all of the data requested.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 02:41:01 -0700, "Howie"
<Howie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, I am experiencing problems with dial-up vpn connections.
>
>At work we have a win2k server with a watchguard firebox. Clients attempt to connect via vpn using win xp pro on laptops and desktops and dial-up phone lines. Once in a while the connection works, people can access folders, subfolders, files and synchronize e-mail.
>
>Usually though when connected and navigating to folders on the server using windows explorer they receive "not responding".
>
>I hope someone is able to help. I'll provide more information if needed.
>
>Regards
>
>Howie

Howie

Jeffry thanks for your reply:

I've just complicated this. Last night at home I managed to map a network drive on a colleagues sony vaio laptop and edit files on the staff server, relatively easily. On at least four occasions. Each time I when I finished, I unmapped the drive, then attempted to use the vpn connection on my home pc. Usual story, I'd get to the subfolders and explorer would 'not respond'. It would be like this for 5 minutes, before my patience gave up. : )

Both laptop and pc have 512 mb ram. The laptop is running a centrino 1.5 .Ghz processor and the pc a pentium 4 2.6 Ghz processor.

Is there something I should look at to try and speed up the process?

Thanks

Howard

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> That is normal (unfortunately) when using VPNs - it is getting data
> slowly from the server and explorer will temporarily hang.. It will
> resolve itself when it gets all of the data requested.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 02:41:01 -0700, "Howie"
> <Howie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I am experiencing problems with dial-up vpn connections.
> >
> >At work we have a win2k server with a watchguard firebox. Clients attempt to connect via vpn using win xp pro on laptops and desktops and dial-up phone lines. Once in a while the connection works, people can access folders, subfolders, files and synchronize e-mail.
> >
> >Usually though when connected and navigating to folders on the server using windows explorer they receive "not responding".
> >
> >I hope someone is able to help. I'll provide more information if needed.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Howie

How fast is your internet connection? Remember VPN's will operate
more slowly if one or both ends operate over DSL or Cable (since they
have different upload and download speeds)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 02:36:01 -0700, "Howie"
<Howie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Jeffry thanks for your reply:
>
>I've just complicated this. Last night at home I managed to map a network drive on a colleagues sony vaio laptop and edit files on the staff server, relatively easily. On at least four occasions. Each time I when I finished, I unmapped the drive, then attempted to use the vpn connection on my home pc. Usual story, I'd get to the subfolders and explorer would 'not respond'. It would be like this for 5 minutes, before my patience gave up. : )
>
>Both laptop and pc have 512 mb ram. The laptop is running a centrino 1.5 .Ghz processor and the pc a pentium 4 2.6 Ghz processor.
>
>Is there something I should look at to try and speed up the process?
>
>Thanks
>
>Howard
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> That is normal (unfortunately) when using VPNs - it is getting data
>> slowly from the server and explorer will temporarily hang.. It will
>> resolve itself when it gets all of the data requested.
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 02:41:01 -0700, "Howie"
>> <Howie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi, I am experiencing problems with dial-up vpn connections.
>> >
>> >At work we have a win2k server with a watchguard firebox. Clients attempt to connect via vpn using win xp pro on laptops and desktops and dial-up phone lines. Once in a while the connection works, people can access folders, subfolders, files and synchronize e-mail.
>> >
>> >Usually though when connected and navigating to folders on the server using windows explorer they receive "not responding".
>> >
>> >I hope someone is able to help. I'll provide more information if needed.
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >
>> >Howie

TRENDING THREADS