AutoCad within Remote Control

one of my friends wanna connect a laptop to a school server's autocad using Windows remote control...

The autocad is installed on the school server...

My question is, for something like autocad.. does the laptop have to have a high power video card? I mean, most of the calculations are going to be done on the server at school. And my first thought was that the only the image going to be updated on the laptop as a "stream video".. am I correct..
if so, does that mean that given unlimit bandwidth between the two systems....
Any laptop that can run DVD can run Autocad in Windows remote?

AutoCAD works, but not very well.. It depends on what you want to
do... In my day job, part of my work involves civil engineering work.
AutoCAD works well with simple 2D CAD work.. However, rendering and
3D will probably give very poor performance.

All computations take place on the remote system.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:03:01 -0700, ThunderShaft
<ThunderShaft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>one of my friends wanna connect a laptop to a school server's autocad using Windows remote control...
>
>The autocad is installed on the school server...
>
>My question is, for something like autocad.. does the laptop have to have a high power video card? I mean, most of the calculations are going to be done on the server at school. And my first thought was that the only the image going to be updated on the laptop as a "stream video".. am I correct..
>if so, does that mean that given unlimit bandwidth between the two systems....
>Any laptop that can run DVD can run Autocad in Windows remote?

Hi Jeff,
okay, the "calculations on the remote system" is that the laptop or the server...
Second, would a laptop with a high power videocard with broadband be that much better than a laptop with intel onboard graphics?
Third, what is the setup that you have?

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> AutoCAD works, but not very well.. It depends on what you want to
> do... In my day job, part of my work involves civil engineering work.
> AutoCAD works well with simple 2D CAD work.. However, rendering and
> 3D will probably give very poor performance.
>
> All computations take place on the remote system.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:03:01 -0700, ThunderShaft
> <ThunderShaft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >one of my friends wanna connect a laptop to a school server's autocad using Windows remote control...
> >
> >The autocad is installed on the school server...
> >
> >My question is, for something like autocad.. does the laptop have to have a high power video card? I mean, most of the calculations are going to be done on the server at school. And my first thought was that the only the image going to be updated on the laptop as a "stream video".. am I correct..
> >if so, does that mean that given unlimit bandwidth between the two systems....
> >Any laptop that can run DVD can run Autocad in Windows remote?

The remote desktop server...

Over a RD connection, the video card would be irrelevant...

I have a standard workstation at the office - Athlon 1.8/1GB and my
internet connection is DSL on both ends... :)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 06:28:02 -0700, Thundershaft
<Thundershaft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Jeff,
>okay, the "calculations on the remote system" is that the laptop or the server...
>Second, would a laptop with a high power videocard with broadband be that much better than a laptop with intel onboard graphics?
>Third, what is the setup that you have?
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> AutoCAD works, but not very well.. It depends on what you want to
>> do... In my day job, part of my work involves civil engineering work.
>> AutoCAD works well with simple 2D CAD work.. However, rendering and
>> 3D will probably give very poor performance.
>>
>> All computations take place on the remote system.
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:03:01 -0700, ThunderShaft
>> <ThunderShaft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >one of my friends wanna connect a laptop to a school server's autocad using Windows remote control...
>> >
>> >The autocad is installed on the school server...
>> >
>> >My question is, for something like autocad.. does the laptop have to have a high power video card? I mean, most of the calculations are going to be done on the server at school. And my first thought was that the only the image going to be updated on the laptop as a "stream video".. am I correct..
>> >if so, does that mean that given unlimit bandwidth between the two systems....
>> >Any laptop that can run DVD can run Autocad in Windows remote?

thanks Jeff... one last thing.. over a RC connection, if I was to do a 3D rotation.. wouldn't the laptop have to be able to keep up with the drawing of the picture?

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> The remote desktop server...
>
> Over a RD connection, the video card would be irrelevant...
>
> I have a standard workstation at the office - Athlon 1.8/1GB and my
> internet connection is DSL on both ends... :)
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 06:28:02 -0700, Thundershaft
> <Thundershaft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Jeff,
> >okay, the "calculations on the remote system" is that the laptop or the server...
> >Second, would a laptop with a high power videocard with broadband be that much better than a laptop with intel onboard graphics?
> >Third, what is the setup that you have?
> >
> >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> AutoCAD works, but not very well.. It depends on what you want to
> >> do... In my day job, part of my work involves civil engineering work.
> >> AutoCAD works well with simple 2D CAD work.. However, rendering and
> >> 3D will probably give very poor performance.
> >>
> >> All computations take place on the remote system.
> >>
> >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >>
> >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> >> be answered depending on time availability....
> >>
> >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

The key problem is in the speed of the network connection and the
limits in what the virtual display driver remote desktop uses.
Generally, the machine isn't the problem - it's the virtualized
hardware for remote desktop.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 22:29:01 -0700, Thundershaft