Windows Explorer to Copy DVD ?

I've used Windows Explorer and Roxio to burn a DVD of some of my family
movies. I can plat the DVD-R on my computer, but not on my Sony or Pioneer
DVD Players.

Any idea why?
--
C and A Bredt
11 answers Last reply

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:14:37 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
    <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:

    >I've used Windows Explorer and Roxio to burn a DVD of some of my family
    >movies. I can plat the DVD-R on my computer, but not on my Sony or Pioneer
    >DVD Players.
    >
    >Any idea why?

    A lot of things can go wrong. Best thing to do, when creating a
    video-dvd is to stick as close as possible to the (quite strict)
    specifications for this type of dvd: best quarantee that all players
    will accept the disc.

    You can do this for example with a quite good program: Nero from
    Ahead.
    Drag all the files, the video-dvd structure, into the VIDEO_TS folder,
    presented by Nero after choosing to create a video-dvd. The program
    will check if all is well and alert you if not: a good quarantee for a
    'every-time' working disc. Try it, if you please.

    "Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:14:37 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
    > <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I've used Windows Explorer and Roxio to burn a DVD of some of my family
    > >movies. I can plat the DVD-R on my computer, but not on my Sony or
    Pioneer
    > >DVD Players.
    > >
    > >Any idea why?
    >
    > A lot of things can go wrong. Best thing to do, when creating a
    > video-dvd is to stick as close as possible to the (quite strict)
    > specifications for this type of dvd: best quarantee that all players
    > will accept the disc.
    >
    > You can do this for example with a quite good program: Nero from
    > Ahead.
    > Drag all the files, the video-dvd structure, into the VIDEO_TS folder,
    > presented by Nero after choosing to create a video-dvd. The program
    > will check if all is well and alert you if not: a good quarantee for a
    > 'every-time' working disc. Try it, if you please.

    I created a VIDEO_TS folder, dragged the files into it, then wrote it all to
    a DVD-R disc. I can play the disc on my computer, but not on my DVD players.

    I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder that writes to DVD-R. I finalize the DVD and I
    can play those on my Sony DVD Player.

    I have Roxio so I tell it to create a Data DVD. Do you know what Nero does
    to the DVD beyond just copying the files?

    "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in

    > "Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in
    > message news:32esn01ir6dm5lou52q9d8onp75m2t9pib@4ax.com...
    >> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:14:37 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
    >> <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've used Windows Explorer and Roxio to burn a DVD of some of my
    >> >family movies. I can plat the DVD-R on my computer, but not on
    >> >my Sony or
    > Pioneer
    >> >DVD Players.
    >> >
    >> >Any idea why?
    >>
    >> A lot of things can go wrong. Best thing to do, when creating a
    >> video-dvd is to stick as close as possible to the (quite strict)
    >> specifications for this type of dvd: best quarantee that all
    >> players will accept the disc.
    >>
    >> You can do this for example with a quite good program: Nero from
    >> Ahead.
    >> Drag all the files, the video-dvd structure, into the VIDEO_TS
    >> folder, presented by Nero after choosing to create a video-dvd.
    >> The program will check if all is well and alert you if not: a
    >> good quarantee for a 'every-time' working disc. Try it, if you
    >> please.
    >
    > I created a VIDEO_TS folder, dragged the files into it, then wrote
    > it all to a DVD-R disc. I can play the disc on my computer, but
    > not on my DVD players.
    >
    > I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder that writes to DVD-R. I finalize the
    > DVD and I can play those on my Sony DVD Player.
    >
    > I have Roxio so I tell it to create a Data DVD. Do you know what
    > Nero does to the DVD beyond just copying the files?

    Right there is your problem. You have to write a video DVD, not a
    data DVD, to play it on set-top players. The differences have to do
    with the order of files and other things unknown to me, but the
    differences are none-the-less significant.

    If Roxio won't let you do that, then do as Funprice suggested and
    get Nero. Nero's user interface can be confusing (to me, anyway),
    but if you're careful you can produce a video DVD.

    Then if it doesn't play in your set-top boxes, it's because they are
    older and don't like DVD-Rs.

    Oh, yes - be sure to finalize the DVD-R. In Nero, this is done
    implicitly when you tell it to make a disc that you can't add more
    stuff to, or a single session disc. This is part of what I mean by
    Nero's confusing interface...

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    > "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in
    >
    >> "Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in
    >> message news:32esn01ir6dm5lou52q9d8onp75m2t9pib@4ax.com...

    >> Pioneer

    >>> A lot of things can go wrong. Best thing to do, when creating a
    >>> video-dvd is to stick as close as possible to the (quite strict)
    >>> specifications for this type of dvd: best quarantee that all
    >>> players will accept the disc.
    >>>
    >>> You can do this for example with a quite good program: Nero from
    >>> Ahead.
    >>> Drag all the files, the video-dvd structure, into the VIDEO_TS
    >>> folder, presented by Nero after choosing to create a video-dvd.
    >>> The program will check if all is well and alert you if not: a
    >>> good quarantee for a 'every-time' working disc. Try it, if you
    >>> please.
    >>
    >> I created a VIDEO_TS folder, dragged the files into it, then wrote
    >> it all to a DVD-R disc. I can play the disc on my computer, but
    >> not on my DVD players.
    >>
    >> I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder that writes to DVD-R. I finalize the
    >> DVD and I can play those on my Sony DVD Player.
    >>
    >> I have Roxio so I tell it to create a Data DVD. Do you know what
    >> Nero does to the DVD beyond just copying the files?
    >>

    > Right there is your problem. You have to write a video DVD, not a
    > data DVD, to play it on set-top players. The differences have to do
    > with the order of files and other things unknown to me, but the
    > differences are none-the-less significant.

    Gene, if you're telling Carol & Allen that they can't burn a DVD-ready file
    (which it sounds like they have), you're mistaken. I do this all the time.
    I use DVD Architect to "prepare" (create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders)
    and then use RecordNow to burn it - as a data disc. No returns yet and it's
    been 2 years.

    Mike

    Some players require the files in the VIDEO_TS to be in
    a particular order on the disk (been down this path also).
    Nero DVD_VIDEO option seems to order them correctly.

    See my post in this newsgroup on 10/23 for the subject
    Re: DVD-lab's burned dvds compatibility problems?

    for a whole bunch of links I found on that subject

    mikey

    "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > "Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:14:37 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
    > > <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I've used Windows Explorer and Roxio to burn a DVD of some of my family
    > > >movies. I can plat the DVD-R on my computer, but not on my Sony or
    > Pioneer
    > > >DVD Players.
    > > >
    > > >Any idea why?
    > >
    > > A lot of things can go wrong. Best thing to do, when creating a
    > > video-dvd is to stick as close as possible to the (quite strict)
    > > specifications for this type of dvd: best quarantee that all players
    > > will accept the disc.
    > >
    > > You can do this for example with a quite good program: Nero from
    > > Ahead.
    > > Drag all the files, the video-dvd structure, into the VIDEO_TS folder,
    > > presented by Nero after choosing to create a video-dvd. The program
    > > will check if all is well and alert you if not: a good quarantee for a
    > > 'every-time' working disc. Try it, if you please.
    >
    > I created a VIDEO_TS folder, dragged the files into it, then wrote it all
    > a DVD-R disc. I can play the disc on my computer, but not on my DVD
    players.

    > I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder that writes to DVD-R. I finalize the DVD and
    > can play those on my Sony DVD Player.
    >
    > I have Roxio so I tell it to create a Data DVD. Do you know what Nero does
    > to the DVD beyond just copying the files?

    Carol and Allen,
    Try adding an AUDIO_TS folder on the root disc also, even though it is empty
    and not needed by most players, it is in the dvd video specs and might be
    needed by your standalone to recognize that it is a dvd-video disc and play.
    Also there are some data bits that can be set in some software that will
    determine what the dvd player sees the disc as.
    For instance, DVD-R, DVD-Video, DVD+RW, DVD-ROM, etc.
    I believe I had read some where that early dvd+rw burners would set this
    data bit to DVD-ROM because most players at the time, didn't know what a
    DVD+R was. And that made the disc's more compatible because most machine
    would be able to read these home made +R discs in DVD-ROM mode as opposed to
    DVD-VIDEO mode.

    I think my new Liteon Dual Layer Burner has this setting adjustable in
    either their firmware of some software that supports it. I remember reading
    this in its specs. So I am assuming programs like Nero when burning a
    DVD-Video set this data bit correctly or to a setting that makes the disc
    more compatible in older players.
    Experiment! That is what we have to do to get things compatible nowadays, :)
    Enjoy the wacky world
    of digital standards and innovation.

    AnthonyR.

    "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > "Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:14:37 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
    >> <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've used Windows Explorer and Roxio to burn a DVD of some of my family
    >> >movies. I can plat the DVD-R on my computer, but not on my Sony or
    > Pioneer
    >> >DVD Players.
    >> >
    >> >Any idea why?
    >>
    >> A lot of things can go wrong. Best thing to do, when creating a
    >> video-dvd is to stick as close as possible to the (quite strict)
    >> specifications for this type of dvd: best quarantee that all players
    >> will accept the disc.
    >>
    >> You can do this for example with a quite good program: Nero from
    >> Ahead.
    >> Drag all the files, the video-dvd structure, into the VIDEO_TS folder,
    >> presented by Nero after choosing to create a video-dvd. The program
    >> will check if all is well and alert you if not: a good quarantee for a
    >> 'every-time' working disc. Try it, if you please.
    >
    > I created a VIDEO_TS folder, dragged the files into it, then wrote it all
    > a DVD-R disc. I can play the disc on my computer, but not on my DVD
    > players.
    >
    > I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder that writes to DVD-R. I finalize the DVD and
    > can play those on my Sony DVD Player.
    >
    > I have Roxio so I tell it to create a Data DVD. Do you know what Nero does
    > to the DVD beyond just copying the files?

    AnthonyR,
    Thanks for your reply. I tried adding an AUDIO_TS folder - still won't play.
    I'm burning it to a DVD-R disc. One of my players is a brand new Pioneer DVD
    player and Recorder, so it's not old.

    I'm using Roxio CD Creator Ver.5 that came on my computer 2 years ago. Maybe
    that's the problem. I'm tired of throwing away "coasters."

    What DVD burning software do you have?
    --
    C and A Bredt

    > AnthonyR,
    > Thanks for your reply. I tried adding an AUDIO_TS folder - still won't
    > play.
    > I'm burning it to a DVD-R disc. One of my players is a brand new Pioneer
    > DVD
    > player and Recorder, so it's not old.
    >
    > I'm using Roxio CD Creator Ver.5 that came on my computer 2 years ago.
    > Maybe
    > that's the problem. I'm tired of throwing away "coasters."
    >
    > What DVD burning software do you have?
    > --
    > C and A Bredt

    C and A,
    I am sorry too about your coasters, hmm, I have been using Nero version
    5.5.10 and choosing DVD Video disc, then I replace the files from the
    Video_TS folder from my hard drive from other programs like DVD Shrink, DVD
    Decrypter,
    and others, I've just tried Ulead Movie Factory 3 Disc Creator tonight,
    seems really simple and made a disc quickly.
    I got it because it lets me change disc's already made in my Philips
    standalone that are DVD+VR format, it let's you change menus and chapters
    etc. without need to burn a new disc, really cool feature.
    Also Adobe Encore directly. But don't remember trying with the Windows
    Explorer directly.
    Try Nero and see what happens, they should have a free demo, even the Ulead
    stuff, has a demo.
    Good Luck,
    Keep us informed.

    Thanks,
    AnthonyR.

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in

    > Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in
    >>> message news:32esn01ir6dm5lou52q9d8onp75m2t9pib@4ax.com...

    >>> Pioneer

    >>> I created a VIDEO_TS folder, dragged the files into it, then
    >>> wrote it all to a DVD-R disc. I can play the disc on my
    >>> computer, but not on my DVD players.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder that writes to DVD-R. I finalize
    >>> the DVD and I can play those on my Sony DVD Player.
    >>>
    >>> I have Roxio so I tell it to create a Data DVD. Do you know what
    >>> Nero does to the DVD beyond just copying the files?
    >>>

    >> Right there is your problem. You have to write a video DVD, not a
    >> data DVD, to play it on set-top players. The differences have to
    >> do with the order of files and other things unknown to me, but
    >> the differences are none-the-less significant.
    >

    > Gene, if you're telling Carol & Allen that they can't burn a
    > DVD-ready file (which it sounds like they have), you're mistaken.
    > I do this all the time. I use DVD Architect to "prepare" (create
    > the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders) and then use RecordNow to burn it
    > - as a data disc. No returns yet and it's been 2 years.
    >
    > Mike

    No, I read it to be that they are copying the DVD files as a data
    disc without the (to me) mysterious trickery that makes it into a
    DVD video disc.

    For example, in Nero's wizard, you can select from six DVD formats,
    one of which is labeled DVD Copy, four of which are labeled various
    kinds of DVD-ROM, and only one of which is labeled DVD-Video.

    I believe that Carol and Alan did the equivalent (in their software,
    Roxio) of choosing one of the four DVD-ROM formats and not the
    equivalent of choosing the DVD-Video format.

    I hope that clarifies what I meant to say,
    Gino

    --

    Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    >

    >> Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >>> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in

    >>> Right there is your problem. You have to write a video DVD, not a
    >>> data DVD, to play it on set-top players. The differences have to
    >>> do with the order of files and other things unknown to me, but
    >>> the differences are none-the-less significant.
    >>

    >> Gene, if you're telling Carol & Allen that they can't burn a
    >> DVD-ready file (which it sounds like they have), you're mistaken.
    >> I do this all the time. I use DVD Architect to "prepare" (create
    >> the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders) and then use RecordNow to burn it
    >> - as a data disc. No returns yet and it's been 2 years.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > No, I read it to be that they are copying the DVD files as a data
    > disc without the (to me) mysterious trickery that makes it into a
    > DVD video disc.
    >
    > For example, in Nero's wizard, you can select from six DVD formats,
    > one of which is labeled DVD Copy, four of which are labeled various
    > kinds of DVD-ROM, and only one of which is labeled DVD-Video.
    >
    > I believe that Carol and Alan did the equivalent (in their software,
    > Roxio) of choosing one of the four DVD-ROM formats and not the
    > equivalent of choosing the DVD-Video format.
    >
    > I hope that clarifies what I meant to say,
    > Gino

    Thanks for the clarification Gino. I've never used Nero so I had no idea it
    had all those options. No wonder newbies get confused :-(

    Mike

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the clarification Gino. I've never used Nero so I had no idea
    > it
    > had all those options. No wonder newbies get confused :-(
    >
    > Mike

    Mike,
    Yes Nero has a lot of options but also is very easy to use for newbies, it
    has a wizard feature that walks you through exactly what type disc you want
    to create in a few steps and then sets all the parameters up for you.
    I still use the older version 5.5 that shipped with my burner, and it suits
    me fine. Found no need to upgrade to version 6 that seems to offer more,
    possibly encoding features like TMPEG and more authoring.

    When you start with the wizard it asks for example, what type disc do you
    want to make a cd or dvd?
    then depending on your answer, it will ask, ok, what type of dvd, do you
    want to make, a copy of a dvd or a new dvd?
    Then, a dvd from and image or a new dvd? etc...
    If you chose cd early on, let's say, you can end up making a vcd or svcd
    etc...
    It is really very simple in my opinion for beginners. But also for
    experienced users, once you close the wizard, all the parameters are
    adjustable so you have complete control.
    :)

    AnthonyR.

Tuner Cards Windows Explorer DVD Graphics Product