TV-Tuner/Capture Card similar to ATI AIW but has audio loc..

Jim

I have been fighting the audio/video sync problem when capturing from
TV using the ATI AIW card. It seems that the audio is sent out a rear
audio plug, and that is plugged into the line input of sound card on
your computer, and the sound is captured from the sound card while
video is captured through the ATI AIW card. The audio and video
always get out of sync after captures of any length. Apparently even
their latest cards still do the same thing, according to the
downloaded manuals from ATI site.

Does anyone out there make a combo card like the ATI AIW with all it's
features, but actually locks the audio to the video to eliminate the
sync problem?

Thanks,

Jim

You might try a different sound card as there can be a problem especially
with onboard sound chips and sync problems.
Even a cheap Sound Blaster card should work better then an onboard sound
chip.
just my 2 cents
UB

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have been fighting the audio/video sync problem when capturing from
> TV using the ATI AIW card. It seems that the audio is sent out a rear
> audio plug, and that is plugged into the line input of sound card on
> your computer, and the sound is captured from the sound card while
> video is captured through the ATI AIW card. The audio and video
> always get out of sync after captures of any length. Apparently even
> their latest cards still do the same thing, according to the
> downloaded manuals from ATI site.
>
> Does anyone out there make a combo card like the ATI AIW with all it's
> features, but actually locks the audio to the video to eliminate the
> sync problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

mark

> always get out of sync after captures of any length. Apparently even
> their latest cards still do the same thing, according to the
> downloaded manuals from ATI site.

Incorrect. I used to use a AIW 128 Pro for years and never had any synch
problems. I now use a 9600 Pro and still don't have any synch problems.

> Does anyone out there make a combo card like the ATI AIW with all it's
> features, but actually locks the audio to the video to eliminate the
> sync problem?

As ub has said, synch problems are almost always related to the sound card
and not the capture card. Run the PC Test function in MMC to check the clock
accuracy of your sound card.

Here's what I do with video:

http://www.onworldsedge.com/21452.html

Jim <wdxp@cox.net> news:svosn0pfe4fm0g0caklb4v503861llnnf6@4ax.com:

> I have been fighting the audio/video sync problem when capturing from
> TV using the ATI AIW card. It seems that the audio is sent out a rear
> audio plug, and that is plugged into the line input of sound card on
> your computer, and the sound is captured from the sound card while
> video is captured through the ATI AIW card. The audio and video
> always get out of sync after captures of any length. Apparently even
> their latest cards still do the same thing, according to the
> downloaded manuals from ATI site.
>
> Does anyone out there make a combo card like the ATI AIW with all it's
> features, but actually locks the audio to the video to eliminate the
> sync problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Not sure about a combo card, but I got tired of that happening with my
AIW card (not to mention out-of-control audio levels) and went to a
Canopus ADVC-300. You can lock and unlock a/v as your needs or pgm
source dictates, it has more features, and a proprietary stabilization
codec, among other features.

It was pricey but worth it for what I'm doing -no regrets! Maybe the
150 model would work for you, but I don't know that it has the a/v lock
feature.

luck,
david

Jim

Changing the sound card did the trick, the clock on sound card was off
frequency.

I have another problem with ATI AIW 128 Pro, did you have the problem
that no matter what sound input you select when running the
INITIALIZATION wizard (Line In is the default), when I close the TV
application, and re-open it, the default has changed from LINE IN to
AUX on the sound card, and if you don't go in an re-run the
initialization wizard, you won't capture the sound portion. I seem to
remember seeing a registry hack to fix this but can't remember where
it was located in registry. Did you ever have that problem?"

Thanks,

Jim

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:18:26 -0400, "Mark" <mark@onworldsedge.com>
wrote:

>> always get out of sync after captures of any length. Apparently even
>> their latest cards still do the same thing, according to the
>> downloaded manuals from ATI site.
>
>Incorrect. I used to use a AIW 128 Pro for years and never had any synch
>problems. I now use a 9600 Pro and still don't have any synch problems.
>
>> Does anyone out there make a combo card like the ATI AIW with all it's
>> features, but actually locks the audio to the video to eliminate the
>> sync problem?
>
>As ub has said, synch problems are almost always related to the sound card
>and not the capture card. Run the PC Test function in MMC to check the clock
>accuracy of your sound card.

>Here's what I do with video:
>
>http://www.onworldsedge.com/21452.html

Jim

Hi David;

Well, I already have an ADVC 100, but like the convenience of
capturing some things directly into .mpg to save time.

I also have an Osprey 200 card and the audio is locked directly to
the video just like the Canopus, the video card itself has two audio
inputs along with the video and it's locked together.

Thanks fellows for helping me solve one of the capture problems.

Jim