Tjones

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

I'm still trying to configure my computers thru the
internet to allow remote access to/from each (there are
3). I'm running Windows XP Pro on each with Remote
Connection installed.

The error is "the client could not connect to the remote
computer".....

Can someone point me to some plain english instructions
on how to set this up... from start to finish? I've
tried following microsoft's and some of the answers on
this forum, but I'm not versed in IP's, routers,
firewalls, etc... so at a disadvantage. I do know that I
have "unchecked" the firewall box in the internet set-up
and still no connection.

One answer suggested "right clicking on My Network Places
and then right clicking on the properties for the
interface that ICF is enable on to access the network
connection properties configuration window." I only have
one thing listed there and it is my Internet connection
but can't seem to find anything there that will allow me
to change my settings....

Thanks for any and all help.
TJones

First describe how the three PCs are connected to the internet... Via a cable, DSL or dialup
connection?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"TJones" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm still trying to configure my computers thru the
> internet to allow remote access to/from each (there are
> 3). I'm running Windows XP Pro on each with Remote
> Connection installed.
>
> The error is "the client could not connect to the remote
> computer".....
>
> Can someone point me to some plain english instructions
> on how to set this up... from start to finish? I've
> tried following microsoft's and some of the answers on
> this forum, but I'm not versed in IP's, routers,
> firewalls, etc... so at a disadvantage. I do know that I
> have "unchecked" the firewall box in the internet set-up
> and still no connection.
>
> One answer suggested "right clicking on My Network Places
> and then right clicking on the properties for the
> interface that ICF is enable on to access the network
> connection properties configuration window." I only have
> one thing listed there and it is my Internet connection
> but can't seem to find anything there that will allow me
> to change my settings....
>
> Thanks for any and all help.
> TJones

---

Tjones

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

I have a router which is connected to DSL. The two work
computers are connected thru the router via cables. The
third computer is at home and uses a cable connection to
the internet.

Thanks.

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"TJones" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I'm still trying to configure my computers thru the
>> internet to allow remote access to/from each (there are
>> 3). I'm running Windows XP Pro on each with Remote
>> Connection installed.
>>
>> The error is "the client could not connect to the
remote
>> computer".....
>>
>> Can someone point me to some plain english instructions
>> on how to set this up... from start to finish? I've
>> tried following microsoft's and some of the answers on
>> this forum, but I'm not versed in IP's, routers,
>> firewalls, etc... so at a disadvantage. I do know
that I
>> have "unchecked" the firewall box in the internet set-
up
>> and still no connection.
>>
>> One answer suggested "right clicking on My Network
Places
>> and then right clicking on the properties for the
>> interface that ICF is enable on to access the network
>> connection properties configuration window." I only
have
>> one thing listed there and it is my Internet connection
>> but can't seem to find anything there that will allow
me
>> to change my settings....
>>
>> Thanks for any and all help.
>> TJones
>>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
6/30/2004

>.

Who makes the router? To access more than one PC behind a firewall/NAT/router look at this page for
examples...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

Instructions for various routers...

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

For the home PC forward/open TCP Port 3389 if the PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router.

In all cases call the remote PC using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router. You can get that by
going to either...

http://www.whatismyip.com/
http://checkip.dyndns.org/

--

>I have a router which is connected to DSL. The two work
> computers are connected thru the router via cables. The
> third computer is at home and uses a cable connection to
> the internet.
>
> Thanks.

---

Tjones

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

I'll give it a try!

Thnaks
TJ

and
>> confers no rights...
>>>
>>>"TJones" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
are

>> remote

instructions
on
>> that I
set-
>> up

>> Places
>> have
connection
>> me

>>>---
>>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
>> (http://www.grisoft.com).
>> 6/30/2004
>>>
>>>.
>>>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
6/30/2004

>.

In case you are trying to access dynamic IPs, I recommend trying the free
software/service (up to 5 PC is free) at www.no-ip.info .

> Who makes the router? To access more than one PC behind a
firewall/NAT/router look at this page for
> examples...
>
> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>
> Instructions for various routers...
>
> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
>
> For the home PC forward/open TCP Port 3389 if the PC is behind a
firewall/NAT/router.

> In all cases call the remote PC using the public IP of the
firewall/NAT/router. You can get that by
> going to either...
>
> http://www.whatismyip.com/
> http://checkip.dyndns.org/
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "TJones" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a router which is connected to DSL. The two work
> > computers are connected thru the router via cables. The
> > third computer is at home and uses a cable connection to
> > the internet.
> >
> > Thanks.

I am at just about the same stage trying to set up my business computer as the terminal server and my home as the client. I am confused by the Server end of things - all documentation says that XP Pro can be a Terminal Server - is this true?

I have LAN at work with 3 computers behind a firewall on a T1 line, running XP Pro on everything. Am I trying too hard?
--
Rick

"Jim Hubbard" wrote:

> In case you are trying to access dynamic IPs, I recommend trying the free
> software/service (up to 5 PC is free) at www.no-ip.info .
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > Who makes the router? To access more than one PC behind a
> firewall/NAT/router look at this page for
> > examples...
> >
> > http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
> >
> > Instructions for various routers...
> >
> > http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
> >
> > For the home PC forward/open TCP Port 3389 if the PC is behind a
> firewall/NAT/router.
> >
> > In all cases call the remote PC using the public IP of the
> firewall/NAT/router. You can get that by
> > going to either...
> >
> > http://www.whatismyip.com/
> > http://checkip.dyndns.org/
> >
> > --
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> rights...
> >
> > "TJones" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a router which is connected to DSL. The two work
> > > computers are connected thru the router via cables. The
> > > third computer is at home and uses a cable connection to
> > > the internet.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Remote Desktop implements Terminal Services in XP Pro... You can use Remote Desktop to connect one
user at a time, from a remote PC, to access/control an individual XP Pro machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

--

"Ricky11" <Ricky11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am at just about the same stage trying to set up my business computer as the terminal server and
>my home as the client. I am confused by the Server end of things - all documentation says that XP
>Pro can be a Terminal Server - is this true?
>
> I have LAN at work with 3 computers behind a firewall on a T1 line, running XP Pro on everything.
> Am I trying too hard?
> --
> Rick
>

> "Jim Hubbard" wrote:
>
>> In case you are trying to access dynamic IPs, I recommend trying the free
>> software/service (up to 5 PC is free) at www.no-ip.info .
>>

>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Who makes the router? To access more than one PC behind a
>> firewall/NAT/router look at this page for
>> > examples...
>> >
>> > http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>> >
>> > Instructions for various routers...
>> >
>> > http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
>> >
>> > For the home PC forward/open TCP Port 3389 if the PC is behind a
>> firewall/NAT/router.
>> >
>> > In all cases call the remote PC using the public IP of the
>> firewall/NAT/router. You can get that by
>> > going to either...
>> >
>> > http://www.whatismyip.com/
>> > http://checkip.dyndns.org/
>> >
>> > --
>> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>> >
>> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>> benefit of all of us...
>> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> rights...
>> >
>> > "TJones" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

---

Will these general instructions also apply to Windows Server 2003?

If not, is there a "for dummies" set of instructions I can follow? The Server's help files are for more advanced users than me.

(I have two computers behind a LinkSys Router connected to a static DSL line.
The "first" computer is running Windows XP and the "second" computer is running Windows Server 2003.)

Thanks

JRT

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Remote Desktop implements Terminal Services in XP Pro... You can use Remote Desktop to connect one
> user at a time, from a remote PC, to access/control an individual XP Pro machine.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Ricky11" <Ricky11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am at just about the same stage trying to set up my business computer as the terminal server and
> >my home as the client. I am confused by the Server end of things - all documentation says that XP
> >Pro can be a Terminal Server - is this true?
> >
> > I have LAN at work with 3 computers behind a firewall on a T1 line, running XP Pro on everything.
> > Am I trying too hard?
> > --
> > Rick
> >

> > "Jim Hubbard" wrote:
> >
> >> In case you are trying to access dynamic IPs, I recommend trying the free
> >> software/service (up to 5 PC is free) at www.no-ip.info .
> >>

> >> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> firewall/NAT/router look at this page for

> >> firewall/NAT/router.

> >> firewall/NAT/router. You can get that by

> >> benefit of all of us...
> >> rights...

Yes.. Windows 2003 supports Remote Desktop in a similar manner to XP
except that it will allow 2 RD sessions + the console at the same
time.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com