Dynamic IP problems

Paul

Splendid

Hi I am in the middle of setting up the ability to
remotely connect to a specific computer in my home
network, from one outside my network. The problem is I
have a dynamic IP address in a NAT enviorment(because of
my Linksys router)... so I am using an update client from
a website called NO-IP.com to create a hostname that
updates itself with my most current IP... I used
whatismyip.com to supply me with the single IP that I
share between computers (with the router).... as opposed
to the private LAN IP on the specific computer. No-IP.com
doesnt allow LAN IPs... the setup seems to have worked
and I have created a domain that is associated to my home
network. I at this point have reached a level of
confusion beyond what I ever thought was possible... If
you feel differently please help... I hope I am on the
right track!! :)

No-IP.com, which I also use, simply provides a map from your ISPs DHCP assigned IP address to a
fully qualified domain name (FQDN). Private LAN IP addresses really have nothing to do with the FQDN
from No-IP.com... To access one or more PCs, using Remote Desktop, that are behind a
firewall/NAT/router look at this page...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

Port forwarding information for various routers...

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Once you have port forwarding setup, call using the FQDN, as provided by No-IP.com as follows...

Example:

PC1 your.no-ip.com.fqdn
PC2 your.no-ip.com.fqdn:3390 (IF you use TCP Port 3390 for the second PC)
PC3 your.no-ip.com.fqdn:3391 (IF you use TCP Port 3391 for the third PC)

....etc...etc...etc...

This presumes you have setup port forwarding correctly on your router, No-IP.com is providing you
with a valid FQDN and that your using static IP addressing for the PCs on our local LAN.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

Note that once you get this all setup, you can check the No-IP.com FQDN against the actual IP
assigned by your ISP by doing the following warm-n-fuzzy test...

1. Go to the http://www.whatismyip.com site and note the IP.
2. From a command line type the command:

nslookup your.no-ip.com.fqdn

The returned IP should resolve to the IP as reported by the WhatIsMyIp site...Note that if you
reboot the PC the No-IP.com software is running on, then the FQDN may not resolve to the correct IP,
as reported by WhatIsMyIP, for several minutes...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I am in the middle of setting up the ability to
> remotely connect to a specific computer in my home
> network, from one outside my network. The problem is I
> have a dynamic IP address in a NAT enviorment(because of
> my Linksys router)... so I am using an update client from
> a website called NO-IP.com to create a hostname that
> updates itself with my most current IP... I used
> whatismyip.com to supply me with the single IP that I
> share between computers (with the router).... as opposed
> to the private LAN IP on the specific computer. No-IP.com
> doesnt allow LAN IPs... the setup seems to have worked
> and I have created a domain that is associated to my home
> network. I at this point have reached a level of
> confusion beyond what I ever thought was possible... If
> you feel differently please help... I hope I am on the
> right track!! :)

---