Dynamic IP problems

Hi I am in the middle of setting up the ability to
remotely connect to a specific computer in my home
network, from one outside my network. The problem is I
have a dynamic IP address in a NAT enviorment(because of
my Linksys router)... so I am using an update client from
a website called NO-IP.com to create a hostname that
updates itself with my most current IP... I used
whatismyip.com to supply me with the single IP that I
share between computers (with the router).... as opposed
to the private LAN IP on the specific computer. No-IP.com
doesnt allow LAN IPs... the setup seems to have worked
and I have created a domain that is associated to my home
network. I at this point have reached a level of
confusion beyond what I ever thought was possible... If
you feel differently please help... I hope I am on the
right track!! :)
1 answer Last reply
More about dynamic problems

    No-IP.com, which I also use, simply provides a map from your ISPs DHCP assigned IP address to a
    fully qualified domain name (FQDN). Private LAN IP addresses really have nothing to do with the FQDN
    from No-IP.com... To access one or more PCs, using Remote Desktop, that are behind a
    firewall/NAT/router look at this page...

    http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    Port forwarding information for various routers...

    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

    Once you have port forwarding setup, call using the FQDN, as provided by No-IP.com as follows...

    Example:

    PC1 your.no-ip.com.fqdn
    PC2 your.no-ip.com.fqdn:3390 (IF you use TCP Port 3390 for the second PC)
    PC3 your.no-ip.com.fqdn:3391 (IF you use TCP Port 3391 for the third PC)

    ....etc...etc...etc...

    This presumes you have setup port forwarding correctly on your router, No-IP.com is providing you
    with a valid FQDN and that your using static IP addressing for the PCs on our local LAN.

    http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

    Note that once you get this all setup, you can check the No-IP.com FQDN against the actual IP
    assigned by your ISP by doing the following warm-n-fuzzy test...

    1. Go to the http://www.whatismyip.com site and note the IP.
    2. From a command line type the command:

    nslookup your.no-ip.com.fqdn

    The returned IP should resolve to the IP as reported by the WhatIsMyIp site...Note that if you
    reboot the PC the No-IP.com software is running on, then the FQDN may not resolve to the correct IP,
    as reported by WhatIsMyIP, for several minutes...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi I am in the middle of setting up the ability to
    > remotely connect to a specific computer in my home
    > network, from one outside my network. The problem is I
    > have a dynamic IP address in a NAT enviorment(because of
    > my Linksys router)... so I am using an update client from
    > a website called NO-IP.com to create a hostname that
    > updates itself with my most current IP... I used
    > whatismyip.com to supply me with the single IP that I
    > share between computers (with the router).... as opposed
    > to the private LAN IP on the specific computer. No-IP.com
    > doesnt allow LAN IPs... the setup seems to have worked
    > and I have created a domain that is associated to my home
    > network. I at this point have reached a level of
    > confusion beyond what I ever thought was possible... If
    > you feel differently please help... I hope I am on the
    > right track!! :)

    ---

IP Windows XP