Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I am so confused. All I want to do is use the remote
desktop connection feature of XP Pro. Between IIS
settings, remote desktop asking for a 'domain', directory
settings...I'm getting more confused by the minute. I'm
no computer dummy, but this has me pulled in so many
directions I've about lost it. I don't know what goes
with what anymore.

Please help...Thanks!

Jason

Don't use the web based method, ie. IIS, if at all possible. It really only adds another level of
confusion... Have you looked at the Remote Desktop How-To?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

Don't use a domain just the public IP of the PC your trying to connect to over the internet or the
private LAN IP if your trying to connect between PCs locally.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jason" <jw.mosley@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message news:2626e01c4620c$9b8faaf0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>I am so confused. All I want to do is use the remote
> desktop connection feature of XP Pro. Between IIS
> settings, remote desktop asking for a 'domain', directory
> settings...I'm getting more confused by the minute. I'm
> no computer dummy, but this has me pulled in so many
> directions I've about lost it. I don't know what goes
> with what anymore.
>
> Please help...Thanks!
>
> Jason

---

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

By public IP, do you mean my static IP. If so, does that
get typed in under computer on the remote sign on screen?

Thanks!

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"Jason" <jw.mosley@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am so confused. All I want to do is use the remote
>> desktop connection feature of XP Pro. Between IIS
>> settings, remote desktop asking for a 'domain',
directory
>> settings...I'm getting more confused by the minute.
I'm
>> no computer dummy, but this has me pulled in so many
>> directions I've about lost it. I don't know what goes
>> with what anymore.
>>
>> Please help...Thanks!
>>
>> Jason
>>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
7/2/2004

>.

The public IP is the IP assigned to your PC by your ISP. You can get that by going to the
http://www.whatismyip.com site. If the PC is behind a router/NAT/firewall then you also need to
forward TCP Port 3389.

In the login screen put the User Name and Password.

How is the PC your trying to connect to connected to the internet?

--

"Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> By public IP, do you mean my static IP. If so, does that
> get typed in under computer on the remote sign on screen?
>
> Thanks!

---

Also, don't specify a domain unless you know that you are a member of
one (it is highly unlikely that you would be a domain member with a
home machine)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com