So what is considered the best software?

I am converting my VHS movie collection to DVD and I want to try and
fit each movie on 1 blank DVD. What software makes this the easiest
with the best overall video quality? I just ordered a new 200 gig HD
so I may even archive the videos on my PC too.

Thanks,

Jeremy
12 answers Last reply
More about considered software

    "Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am converting my VHS movie collection to DVD and I want to try and
    > fit each movie on 1 blank DVD. What software makes this the easiest
    > with the best overall video quality? I just ordered a new 200 gig HD
    > so I may even archive the videos on my PC too.

    tmpgenc does the best avi-to-mpg transcoding in software, though it is very,
    very slow. It also estimates, with great accuracy, the size of the
    resulting file and lets you alter file size and bit rate dynamically, which
    is critical in trying to get the best quality video in limited space.

    Goodner79 wrote:
    > I am converting my VHS movie collection to DVD and I want to try and
    > fit each movie on 1 blank DVD. What software makes this the easiest
    > with the best overall video quality? I just ordered a new 200 gig HD
    > so I may even archive the videos on my PC too.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeremy

    Depends on what you will be watching them on in the future. Cheaper TVs are
    not as demanding on the quality while high end viewing will need more
    attention to final output. Get the newest DVD writer that will double layer
    to allow what you want.
    Example: http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=404851&CusaNe=

    Software is plentiful

    "Cliff" <Cliff-f@NOSPAMxemaps.com> wrote:

    > Depends on what you will be watching them on in the future. Cheaper TVs are
    >not as demanding on the quality while high end viewing will need more
    >attention to final output. Get the newest DVD writer that will double layer
    >to allow what you want.
    > Example: http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=404851&CusaNe=
    >
    > Software is plentiful

    But keep in mind that dual layer media costs more than $2 while the
    best rated single-layer media is 40 cents or so, that DL drives write
    at just over 2x while single layer writes at 8x or faster, and that at
    present, many more DVD players have trouble with recordable dual layer
    media than with single layer media. And to make it a clean sweep,
    compusa is the least respected (in terms of value for money) of the
    major computer/office chains.

    Sorry 'bout that.

    Incidentally, almost any software you can put your hands on will
    produce a DVD that captures all the quality on an ordinary VHS tape.
    If you need it, a freeware program called DVDShrink takes DVD files
    that are too big for a single-layer disc and compresses them further
    so that they just fit. It takes an extra fifteen minutes or so,
    depending on your computer speed. People use it to copy commercial
    DVD's without compaint, so again it won't degrade VHS copies.

    And of course you can buy standalone DVD writers that you can play
    your tape into without needing a computer, if that appeals to you.
    They seem to be available for $150 or less (and more, of course).

    On 26 Oct 2004 15:22:10 -0700, jtg30@hotmail.com (Goodner79) wrote:

    >I am converting my VHS movie collection to DVD and I want to try and
    >fit each movie on 1 blank DVD. What software makes this the easiest
    >with the best overall video quality? I just ordered a new 200 gig HD
    >so I may even archive the videos on my PC too.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jeremy
    Depends on what hardware you are using to get them on a hard drive and
    in what format. Editing and burning them afterwards is the easy part.
    There are a good dozen programs at all different prices but you have
    to figure out what format you are going to use in capturing.

    Research the reviews of capture cards. Search past messages in this group
    for a good deal of first hand comments on products.

    The software is important, but since your main task is to convert tapes to
    dvd, you will want hardware that does a good job on this.

    "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message

    > "Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I am converting my VHS movie collection to DVD and I want to try and
    >> fit each movie on 1 blank DVD. What software makes this the easiest
    >> with the best overall video quality? I just ordered a new 200 gig HD
    >> so I may even archive the videos on my PC too.
    >
    > tmpgenc does the best avi-to-mpg transcoding in software, though it is
    > very,
    > very slow. It also estimates, with great accuracy, the size of the
    > resulting file and lets you alter file size and bit rate dynamically,
    > which
    > is critical in trying to get the best quality video in limited space.
    >

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jeremy

    Yes but how would he get his dvd collection onto pC to AVI to use TMPEGEnc
    to go to mpeg?
    seems like a heck of a lot of work to do there, lol
    just use DVDShrink, it's free and works great!
    Put a dvd onto one disk or HD and looks amazing, and is super fast.
    For a project like that, it isn't even a choice. :)
    AnthonyR.

    "Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am converting my VHS movie collection to DVD and I want to try and
    > fit each movie on 1 blank DVD. What software makes this the easiest
    > with the best overall video quality? I just ordered a new 200 gig HD
    > so I may even archive the videos on my PC too.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeremy

    Jeremy,
    Use a program called DVDShrink, it's free and works great!
    It compresses most DVD9 movies onto one disk or HD and looks amazing, and is
    super fast.
    For a project like that, it isn't even a choice. :)
    It allows you to do much more, like remove unwanted chapters, audio tracks
    etc...
    AnthonyR.

    PTravel, sorry about the previous post, I thought he said he was backing up
    his DVD collection.
    For VHS, he can definitely use TMPEnc to encode once they are captured to
    avi, yes.
    Sorry about the quick typing and slow reading!
    AnthonyR.

    "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message

    > "Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I am converting my VHS movie collection to DVD and I want to try and
    >> fit each movie on 1 blank DVD. What software makes this the easiest
    >> with the best overall video quality? I just ordered a new 200 gig HD
    >> so I may even archive the videos on my PC too.
    >
    > tmpgenc does the best avi-to-mpg transcoding in software, though it is
    > very,
    > very slow. It also estimates, with great accuracy, the size of the
    > resulting file and lets you alter file size and bit rate dynamically,
    > which
    > is critical in trying to get the best quality video in limited space.
    >

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jeremy

    "Best" and "Easy" can't be used in the same sentence here. "Easy" means
    using Ulead DVD Workshop to capture straight to Mpeg2 and then burn to DVD
    with pretty good quality. "Best" involves using an DV camera with
    Pass-through to transfer from your VCR to a firewire card and to your hard
    drive. Then use a program like Vegas to add chapters (markers), trim and
    fix up the video and finally render it to a very good quality Mpeg2 file.
    Then use Vegas's sister program, DVD Architect to create your DVD. The
    latter is the way I do it. Also, when putting VHS on a DVD, you can render
    using Half D1 (352 x 480), since VHS doesn't require any more than this
    resolution. This allows you to create an mpeg file at half the bitrate and
    put twice as much on a DVD. -OR- use a normal bitrate and get higher
    quality rendering.

    I will explain further if you are interested.

    Sanman

    "Sanman" <me@you.com> wrote in message news:<y-mdneV15fTk3B7cRVn-hA@look.ca>...
    > "Best" and "Easy" can't be used in the same sentence here. "Easy" means
    > using Ulead DVD Workshop to capture straight to Mpeg2 and then burn to DVD
    > with pretty good quality. "Best" involves using an DV camera with
    > Pass-through to transfer from your VCR to a firewire card and to your hard
    > drive. Then use a program like Vegas to add chapters (markers), trim and
    > fix up the video and finally render it to a very good quality Mpeg2 file.
    > Then use Vegas's sister program, DVD Architect to create your DVD. The
    > latter is the way I do it. Also, when putting VHS on a DVD, you can render
    > using Half D1 (352 x 480), since VHS doesn't require any more than this
    > resolution. This allows you to create an mpeg file at half the bitrate and
    > put twice as much on a DVD. -OR- use a normal bitrate and get higher
    > quality rendering.
    >
    > I will explain further if you are interested.
    >
    > Sanman

    OK I have a FlyView 3000 capture card and my next question is should I
    capture from my VCR using the RCA cables or the regular "cable tv"
    type connector. And is Pinnacle studio good software to use to
    capture?

    I will use DVD shrink and Nero for shrinking\burning.

    thanks,

    JT

    Goodner79 <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote:
    : OK I have a FlyView 3000 capture card and my next question is should I
    : capture from my VCR using the RCA cables or the regular "cable tv"

    Do you mean that you have FlyVideo 3000 from Lifeview company?
    : type connector. And is Pinnacle studio good software to use to
    : capture?

    If that's the case, then you should be using the program Fly2000.
    http://auzol.narod.ru

    It's the best thing designed for Lifeview cards.

    Throw your Pinnacle away.

    --Leonid

    Here's my setup. I splurged somewhat when setting up a small business
    but it has paid off and I would swear by the stuff I currently use.

    Capture hardware: ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 pro
    Capture software: ATI launchpad series (comes with the card above)
    (I almost always capture directly to MPEG-2, and never with any
    problems, but if I am doing some editing beyond just removing
    commercials etc then I capture to AVI and edit with....)
    Editing software: Adobe Premiere Pro
    AVI-to-MPEG2 Converter (when needed): TMPGEnc Plus
    MPEG-2 editor: Womble MPEG-VCR ('editor' is a bit of a misnomer; I use
    this to cut commercials from captured TV programs and meandering,
    meaningless shots from clients' home movies - that's it - but as mpeg
    editors go, it's awesome).
    DVD Authoring: Adobe Encore DVD (this software admittedly is maligned in
    some circles but I personally think it is fantastic)
    DVD Writing: TMPGEnc DVD Author (my one beef with Adobe Encore is that
    when using its DVD-writing function, it is slooooow; TMPGEnc's DVD
    Writer is way faster)

    Some of this stuff, namely the Adobe software, is relatively high-end
    for the average consumer. But I find the results to be well worth the
    investment as well as the time spent learning the programs.

    And one final note: I 100% whole-heartedly agree with the below poster's
    comments about Pinnacle. Avoid any and all Pinnacle products like the
    plague. Horrible, horrible stuff.

    Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in news:cn0ujd$i4m$1
    @news3.bu.edu:

    > Goodner79 <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >: OK I have a FlyView 3000 capture card and my next question is should
    >: capture from my VCR using the RCA cables or the regular "cable tv"
    >
    > Do you mean that you have FlyVideo 3000 from Lifeview company?
    >: type connector. And is Pinnacle studio good software to use to
    >: capture?
    >
    > If that's the case, then you should be using the program Fly2000.
    > http://auzol.narod.ru
    >
    > It's the best thing designed for Lifeview cards.
    >
    > Throw your Pinnacle away.
    >
    > --Leonid

Tuner Cards Movies Software Video DVD Graphics