Remote Desktop Server on LAN?

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi,

I've used Remote Desktop across the Internet and have my Win2K and XP Home machines connecting to a server fine. My question is can Remote Desktop work across a LAN? There will be no Internet connection.

I'm working on a project to install 3 workstations onto a sail boat. The original specs called for 3 separate workstations to be connected to a Citrix server. Huge over kill on both resources, equipment and software. I am opting instead for a XP Pro machine to act as a Remote Desktop server and have two laptops to be clients. This will give them the flexibility to move their machines around without being tied to a specific spot.

The main concern is to have a workstation in the cockpit, one at the chart table and one in the main salon which will be the server. They want all of their main applications such as navigation and charting to be run from the server. Very little will be on the laptops at all.

I am assuming it should be no problems but, can I access Remote Desktop with a client on the LAN. Remember, this is a sail boat that will have no Internet connection. It's hard to get an ISP that covers you 1,000 off shore. Of course if anyone knows of one I'd be interested in talking to them as well.

Thanks,
The Donger

G

Sure you can do that. The downside of Remote Desktop is that only one laptop at a time can connect
to the XP Pro box and the current user on the XP Pro box is logged off.

If you want to have all three PCs in use simultaneously, ie. users logged on each and running
applications, then XP really is not going to hack it. Your better off running Windows 2003/2000
server on the big machine and have the laptops as clients... I would post to the
microsoft.public.windows.server.general or microsoft.public.windows.server.network news group for
help...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

"The Donger" <no_spam.brian_dong@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:E06E407D-4B7F-4E59-A8BA-4D0F13532445@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've used Remote Desktop across the Internet and have my Win2K and XP Home machines connecting to
> a server fine. My question is can Remote Desktop work across a LAN? There will be no Internet
> connection.
>
> I'm working on a project to install 3 workstations onto a sail boat. The original specs called
> for 3 separate workstations to be connected to a Citrix server. Huge over kill on both resources,
> equipment and software. I am opting instead for a XP Pro machine to act as a Remote Desktop
> server and have two laptops to be clients. This will give them the flexibility to move their
> machines around without being tied to a specific spot.
>
> The main concern is to have a workstation in the cockpit, one at the chart table and one in the
> main salon which will be the server. They want all of their main applications such as navigation
> and charting to be run from the server. Very little will be on the laptops at all.
>
> I am assuming it should be no problems but, can I access Remote Desktop with a client on the LAN.
> Remember, this is a sail boat that will have no Internet connection. It's hard to get an ISP that
> covers you 1,000 off shore. Of course if anyone knows of one I'd be interested in talking to them
> as well.
>
> Thanks,
> The Donger

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.715 / Virus Database: 471 - Release Date: 7/4/2004

G

Hi Al,

Great news and info. I'll make sure we install 2003 server on the desktop.

Thanks again.
--
"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Sure you can do that. The downside of Remote Desktop is that only one laptop at a time can connect
> to the XP Pro box and the current user on the XP Pro box is logged off.
>
> If you want to have all three PCs in use simultaneously, ie. users logged on each and running
> applications, then XP really is not going to hack it. Your better off running Windows 2003/2000
> server on the big machine and have the laptops as clients... I would post to the
> microsoft.public.windows.server.general or microsoft.public.windows.server.network news group for
> help...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
>
> "The Donger" <no_spam.brian_dong@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:E06E407D-4B7F-4E59-A8BA-4D0F13532445@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've used Remote Desktop across the Internet and have my Win2K and XP Home machines connecting to
> > a server fine. My question is can Remote Desktop work across a LAN? There will be no Internet
> > connection.
> >
> > I'm working on a project to install 3 workstations onto a sail boat. The original specs called
> > for 3 separate workstations to be connected to a Citrix server. Huge over kill on both resources,
> > equipment and software. I am opting instead for a XP Pro machine to act as a Remote Desktop
> > server and have two laptops to be clients. This will give them the flexibility to move their
> > machines around without being tied to a specific spot.
> >
> > The main concern is to have a workstation in the cockpit, one at the chart table and one in the
> > main salon which will be the server. They want all of their main applications such as navigation
> > and charting to be run from the server. Very little will be on the laptops at all.
> >
> > I am assuming it should be no problems but, can I access Remote Desktop with a client on the LAN.
> > Remember, this is a sail boat that will have no Internet connection. It's hard to get an ISP that
> > covers you 1,000 off shore. Of course if anyone knows of one I'd be interested in talking to them
> > as well.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > The Donger
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.715 / Virus Database: 471 - Release Date: 7/4/2004
>
>

G

Windows 2003 or Windows 2003 Small Business Server would be better
bets.. SBS can be bought fairly affordably depending on where you
look.

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 08:00:21 -0500, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>Sure you can do that. The downside of Remote Desktop is that only one laptop at a time can connect
>to the XP Pro box and the current user on the XP Pro box is logged off.
>
>If you want to have all three PCs in use simultaneously, ie. users logged on each and running
>applications, then XP really is not going to hack it. Your better off running Windows 2003/2000
>server on the big machine and have the laptops as clients... I would post to the
>microsoft.public.windows.server.general or microsoft.public.windows.server.network news group for
>help...