Copying 8mm tapes to disk

Hi everybody

This is my first time here, and my first post.

My question is, how to go about to copy my Sony 350 camcorder digital
8mm tapes to DVD disks. What do I need. I have a Dell computer with XP
home, not too old. I'm not experienced with computers at all.

I would appreciate any help

thanks Sue
8 answers Last reply
More about copying tapes disk

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:51:52 -0500, kishrp2@webtv.net (Paul Kish) found these
    unused words floating about:

    >Hi everybody
    >
    >This is my first time here, and my first post.
    >
    >My question is, how to go about to copy my Sony 350 camcorder digital
    >8mm tapes to DVD disks. What do I need. I have a Dell computer with XP
    >home, not too old. I'm not experienced with computers at all.
    >
    >I would appreciate any help
    >
    >thanks Sue

    IF your computer has a firewire input, then all you'd need is a DVD
    preparation/Editing program and a DVD burner.

    You did not say if the 8mm was digital or analog, but regardless one
    of the products from ADS would probably be easy to use:
    http://www.adstech.com/products/intro/products.asp

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:47:14 -0600, "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> found
    these unused words floating about:

    >You did not say if the 8mm was digital or analog, but regardless one
    >of the products from ADS would probably be easy to use:
    >http://www.adstech.com/products/intro/products.asp

    OP: "Sony 350 camcorder digital 8mm tapes"
    ^^^^^

    Sorry for the delay....this is my uncle's webtv, and I don't see them
    everyday.

    Yes, it is a digital camcorder, and does have a software on it, but only
    good for it's memory stick (still pictures). The computer does not
    recognize camcorder for the movie tape, in the VCR mode.

    Somehow I have to find means to educate myself about this whole
    procedure. I'm very much a beginner at both, computer & camcorder. This
    website you gave me seems like will be useful , just as now I took a
    fast look at it.

    thanks very much for both of your help and info Sue
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Paul Kish wrote:
    > Hi everybody
    >
    > This is my first time here, and my first post.
    >
    > My question is, how to go about to copy my Sony 350 camcorder digital
    > 8mm tapes to DVD disks. What do I need. I have a Dell computer with XP
    > home, not too old. I'm not experienced with computers at all.

    Hi Sue,
    Start with a capture card - these are about $50 - and copy your material to
    your hard drive.

    If you don't mind VHS quality, you can get by with then burning a VideoCD
    using a program like Nero or Roxio Easy CD Creator. One notch up is to use
    a DvD burner and appropriate mpeg2 software to burn a Dvd.
    ---

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com
    www.geigy.2y.net
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Hi Mike

    Your post arrived almost the same time, just before as I sent mine.

    Seems, my first problem is how to make my computer to recognize the
    camcorder in the VCR mode. It's OK in the memory stick mode, copies the
    still Pictures all right.

    looks like I need lots of help.......thanks Sue
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Most probably the cam only uses its USB cable connection to move pics
    from the stick to PC (ie, it won't move video). But, to move video you
    either 1)have to use the iLINK connector (note that Sony iLINK = Apple
    Firewire = IEEE1394) ... so if the cam came with an iLINK/1394 cable
    then you need to connect it to the 1394 port on your PC. If your PC
    does not have a 1394 port then, if the PC has room for an expansion
    card (some lower end PC's don't) you can add it ... these are examples
    of 1394 PCI cards, each comes with the software required to
    capture/edit video:

    http://www.adstech.com/products/PYROBasicDV/intro/API310intro.asp?pid=API-310

    http://www.adstech.com/products/PYRO1394DV/intro/API1394intro.asp?pid=API-1394PCI

    or, 2) add a device to the PC that lets you use the cam's analog
    video/audio outputs to capture video like this:
    http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV_701/intro/usb701intro.asp?pid=USBAV701

    The usual process is to capture the video to the PC's hard drive, then
    as a 2nd step burn it to dvd - this can be tedious, complex and time
    consuming. BUT, there are also other simpler methods such connecting
    the cam directly to a standalone DVD recorder. I think PC Magazine
    recently had a review of some units like this one:
    .... I guess it connects directly to the cam's video/audio output
    jacks, don't know.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Check out "Pinnacle Studio" I think it's at ver.9 now.
    A great program for doing just that.
    Make your own movies etc....

    "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
    > Most probably the cam only uses its USB cable connection to move pics from
    > the stick to PC (ie, it won't move video). But, to move video you either
    > 1)have to use the iLINK connector (note that Sony iLINK = Apple Firewire =
    > IEEE1394) ... so if the cam came with an iLINK/1394 cable then you need to
    > connect it to the 1394 port on your PC. If your PC does not have a 1394
    > port then, if the PC has room for an expansion card (some lower end PC's
    > don't) you can add it ... these are examples of 1394 PCI cards, each comes
    > with the software required to capture/edit video:
    >
    > http://www.adstech.com/products/PYROBasicDV/intro/API310intro.asp?pid=API-310
    >
    > http://www.adstech.com/products/PYRO1394DV/intro/API1394intro.asp?pid=API-1394PCI
    >
    > or, 2) add a device to the PC that lets you use the cam's analog
    > video/audio outputs to capture video like this:
    > http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV_701/intro/usb701intro.asp?pid=USBAV701
    >
    > The usual process is to capture the video to the PC's hard drive, then as
    > a 2nd step burn it to dvd - this can be tedious, complex and time
    > consuming. BUT, there are also other simpler methods such connecting the
    > cam directly to a standalone DVD recorder. I think PC Magazine recently
    > had a review of some units like this one:
    > ... I guess it connects directly to the cam's video/audio output jacks,
    > don't know.

Cameras Peripherals