Copying 8mm tapes to disk

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 1, 2005 8:51:52 PM

Hi everybody

This is my first time here, and my first post.

My question is, how to go about to copy my Sony 350 camcorder digital
8mm tapes to DVD disks. What do I need. I have a Dell computer with XP
home, not too old. I'm not experienced with computers at all.

I would appreciate any help

thanks Sue

More about : copying 8mm tapes disk

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:51:53 PM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:51:52 -0500, kishrp2@webtv.net (Paul Kish) found these
unused words floating about:

>Hi everybody
>
>This is my first time here, and my first post.
>
>My question is, how to go about to copy my Sony 350 camcorder digital
>8mm tapes to DVD disks. What do I need. I have a Dell computer with XP
>home, not too old. I'm not experienced with computers at all.
>
>I would appreciate any help
>
>thanks Sue

IF your computer has a firewire input, then all you'd need is a DVD
preparation/Editing program and a DVD burner.
March 2, 2005 11:22:56 AM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:47:14 -0600, "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> found
these unused words floating about:

>You did not say if the 8mm was digital or analog, but regardless one
>of the products from ADS would probably be easy to use:
>http://www.adstech.com/products/intro/products.asp

OP: "Sony 350 camcorder digital 8mm tapes"
^^^^^
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:12:46 AM

Sorry for the delay....this is my uncle's webtv, and I don't see them
everyday.

Yes, it is a digital camcorder, and does have a software on it, but only
good for it's memory stick (still pictures). The computer does not
recognize camcorder for the movie tape, in the VCR mode.

Somehow I have to find means to educate myself about this whole
procedure. I'm very much a beginner at both, computer & camcorder. This
website you gave me seems like will be useful , just as now I took a
fast look at it.

thanks very much for both of your help and info Sue
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:38:56 AM

Paul Kish wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> This is my first time here, and my first post.
>
> My question is, how to go about to copy my Sony 350 camcorder digital
> 8mm tapes to DVD disks. What do I need. I have a Dell computer with XP
> home, not too old. I'm not experienced with computers at all.

Hi Sue,
Start with a capture card - these are about $50 - and copy your material to
your hard drive.

If you don't mind VHS quality, you can get by with then burning a VideoCD
using a program like Nero or Roxio Easy CD Creator. One notch up is to use
a DvD burner and appropriate mpeg2 software to burn a Dvd.
---

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:38:57 AM

Hi Mike

Your post arrived almost the same time, just before as I sent mine.

Seems, my first problem is how to make my computer to recognize the
camcorder in the VCR mode. It's OK in the memory stick mode, copies the
still Pictures all right.

looks like I need lots of help.......thanks Sue
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:38:58 AM

Most probably the cam only uses its USB cable connection to move pics
from the stick to PC (ie, it won't move video). But, to move video you
either 1)have to use the iLINK connector (note that Sony iLINK = Apple
Firewire = IEEE1394) ... so if the cam came with an iLINK/1394 cable
then you need to connect it to the 1394 port on your PC. If your PC
does not have a 1394 port then, if the PC has room for an expansion
card (some lower end PC's don't) you can add it ... these are examples
of 1394 PCI cards, each comes with the software required to
capture/edit video:

http://www.adstech.com/products/PYROBasicDV/intro/API31...

http://www.adstech.com/products/PYRO1394DV/intro/API139...

or, 2) add a device to the PC that lets you use the cam's analog
video/audio outputs to capture video like this:
http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV_701/intro/usb701i...

The usual process is to capture the video to the PC's hard drive, then
as a 2nd step burn it to dvd - this can be tedious, complex and time
consuming. BUT, there are also other simpler methods such connecting
the cam directly to a standalone DVD recorder. I think PC Magazine
recently had a review of some units like this one:
.... I guess it connects directly to the cam's video/audio output
jacks, don't know.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 7:37:34 AM

Check out "Pinnacle Studio" I think it's at ver.9 now.
A great program for doing just that.
Make your own movies etc....

!