DVStorm2 and Asus K8V mobo (compat problem?)

My setup:
Athlon64 3400+|2.2Ghz|1.5G sdram
mobo=Asus K8V SE |DVStorm2 pro + Bay on pci slot4
2 200GB sata|2 250GB IDE (all masters)
OS=WinXP pro

[This post has been cross posted to Canupos forums as well]

Group,
I seem to have hit a snag with a newly purchased canopus DVStorm2.

Yes, I have written the Tech staff 2 days ago but not heard back yet.
Yes, I've called them repeatedly over the last 2 days.. (gotten busy
signals)

OK, with that out of the way:
It seems I may be seeing a Compatibility problem but I can't say for
sure.

Situatution: Newly installed DVStorm and Edius2.5
When I put a clip on timeline and try to play it in any of several
ways: type <enter> or <spc> or the forward arrow (play) on the right
hand Preview screen. I get a full bodied crash. First everything
freezes including CTRL-ALT-Del, then all visible video disappears. I
end up with a black screen and total non-responsive keyboard/mouse.

After trying this several times I began to see a different result:
Same freezing crash but video doesn't disappear. Still no
CTRL-ALT-DEL, but several open Edius windows are still visible.

When one starts Edius2.5 you get an opportunity to set some vars. I
choose the defaults. Then a chance to select which in/out port to
use. I have several onboard 1384 ports and now the DVStorm port.

If I choose the DVStorm port the above described crash is the result.
However, if I choose an OHCI port. No crash results when playing a
clip.

I guess this indicates a problem with DVStorm of course, but how can I
test things further or know for sure it is incompatable?

Canopus has compatability lists but they are quite ancient. And
include no newer slot 754 equipment like recent athlons.

I found the compat list late in the game but just due to sloth on my
part. My board is not listed there. It never occured to me to check
about hardware compat... probably an indication of my noob status.

Some posters on canopus forums think it is a problem between VIA
chipset and DVStorm2. This mobo has:
VIA K8T800
VIA VT8237

Checking the `My Computer'/hardware screen I see no problems
indicated. But the only thing I see about DVStorm2 is a listing
under: Sound Video and Game Controllers/DVStorm-RT on irq 19.

That may be normal... not sure. Seems there would be some more stuff.

Can anyone here point me to anything that may help me solve this or at
least convince me its unsolvable and get a refund or different equip.
8 answers Last reply
More about dvstorm2 asus mobo compat problem

    "Digital Video Solutions" <webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com> writes:

    > The first thing that comes to mind for me is your statement of
    > having multiple 1394 ports on the system, and the second thing is
    > that sharing with the sound/video/game controller. Now, there is no
    > guarantee that the mainboard you have is compatible and I checked
    > for some variations of that board on the Canopus compatibility list
    > at http://www.canopus.us/US/support2/compat_motherboards.asp If you
    > want the

    Yes about compatibility... as I mentioned in previous post. That list
    is very old. Canopus itself says it badly needs updating. Note that
    no socket 754 equipment (recent athlons) are mentioned.

    OK, thanks. Before beginning the hoop jumping let me clarify and ask
    a little more.

    The other 1394 ports are either built in to the asus K8V mobo or one
    is part of the Audigy2 sound card. (On slot5 currently)

    I forgot to include this url where I've posted some images to help
    with this.

    http://www.jtan.com/~reader/exp/web_ready/dspimg.cgi

    They are stacked.
    1) A page from my Asus manual showing the PCI setup and IRQ useage.
    2) An actual picture of the Asus board with nothing installed. You
    will note a circled set of sata connectors showing why slot1 won't
    work. (DVStorm board covers them partially)

    > DVStorm to work you are going to have to jump through a couple of hoops
    > here. Just placing this card in whatever available slot you had is not the
    > key to getting it to work properly.
    >
    > You should first uninstall the Edius 2.5 and the Storm itself. If you have
    > other 1394 cards in slots you will need to remove them to allow you to find
    > the proper slot for the Storm. Also, as with any setup of non-linear
    > hardware and software install the editing software first, i.e. Edius 2.5

    OK, thanks for the input. I'll begin on this after hearing what you
    think after reading this post. A few pci slots can be written off and
    maybe you'll know after seeing the manual page if any more can be
    regarded as non-starters due to sharing or whatever.

    For example. Slot4 is listed as `used' not as `shared' like the
    others. Do you know what that means?

    I have only two things on pci slots.. SB Audigy2 on 5 and DVStorm on 4.

    > and/or Premiere. Getting the editing card to work first is paramount to the
    > whole operation. Once you have achieved this with no sharing with the
    > soundcard then re-install those other cards in the system. You may find that
    > in order to have the Storm work properly you may have to give up some other
    > device.

    I'm not sure what you mean by `Editing card' above. If you mean
    Edius, it is software only.

    Another unfortunate omission from my orig post is that Edius NLE seems
    to work ok as long as I stay away from DVStorm2 in/out port. That is,
    one is given a choice on startup of Edius in using DVStorm port or OHCI
    (onboard) port. I only have this freeze/crash problem when choosing
    DVStorm port.

    [...] snip

    I'm prepared to do whats necessary to find out if this is in fact an
    incompatable setup. Do you, in your experience know if this Asus
    Board and VIA chipset is likely to be incompatible with DVStorm. Or
    is that always something one can only learn by experimentation?

    I'm awaiting similar answers from Canopus Tech and Forums but haven't
    got them yet. Only as mentioned that some DVStorm users have told me
    they believe the VIA chipset is incompatible with DVstorm.

    Canopus tech has proven to be unreachable (by phone) these last two
    days (I've called repeatedly only getting busy signals) and they
    haven't yet responded to my email queries submitted thru their support
    pages.

    I'm very inexperienced in most aspects of this but am willing to take
    your suggestions to the trial ground and jump, uninstall, test etc.

[...]

    I know at one time Canopus was talking about the Storm having the ability to
    capture multiple streams of video at the same time with the use of additonal
    1394 cards, such as the Pryo 1394. I see they have done away with that, and
    it may be due to the horsepower needed to run Edius 2.5. Actually I believe
    their original claim pretained to Storm Edit use and not for Adobe Premiere
    6.x versions. Don't quote me. All in all the bottom line is this, and I say
    it as someone who routinely builds systems and integrates video capture
    cards - including the Storm, into those systems. Get the editing card
    working FIRST and worry about the rest after that. Don't beat your head on
    the wall trying to get it to work in the present slot. You'd have a better
    time trying to teach a pig to sing "Yankee Doodle".

    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions
    webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com
    http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
    877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
    386-672-1941 customer Service
    386-672-1907 Technical Support
    386-676-1515 Fax

    "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > indicated. But the only thing I see about DVStorm2 is a listing
    > under: Sound Video and Game Controllers/DVStorm-RT on irq 19.
    >
    > That may be normal... not sure. Seems there would be some more stuff.
    >
    > Can anyone here point me to anything that may help me solve this or at
    > least convince me its unsolvable and get a refund or different equip.

    "Digital Video Solutions" <webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com> writes:

    > I would move the DVStorm around to attempt to get it to work. By the way,
    > the DVStorm is an editing card. I know Edius is software, I'm a certified
    > Canopus reseller found on the link here
    > http://www.canopus.us/us/sales/sales_usspecialtydealers.asp#onlinedealers
    > and here http://www.canopus.us/US/sales/sales_domestic5.asp#FL I use 2.5 as
    > well and plan to get my grubby little hands on the Edius SD for HDV card

    So after looking at the pci setup on Asus K8V did you see anything to
    help? You didn't mention if you knew what it means on that chart to
    say a slot is `used' as is shown for slot4. All others say shared.

    > The best way to tech any problem is to start with the card you are having
    > trouble with alone in the system. This way you can be absolutely sure there
    > is no conflict with another device. If in this scenerio you cannot get the
    > card working then I would imagine that even Canopus tech support could do
    > nothing to help you. Sometimes it's just a matter of the wrong motherboard.
    > Whether it makes sense or not it is best to go through the steps to be
    > certain.

    SB Audigy2 is the only other pci card in there so pulling it now which
    frees up slot5. I'll install DVStorm there and see what happens.

    >> The best way to tech any problem is to start with the card you are having
    >> trouble with alone in the system. This way you can be absolutely sure there
    >> is no conflict with another device. If in this scenerio you cannot get the
    >> card working then I would imagine that even Canopus tech support could do
    >> nothing to help you. Sometimes it's just a matter of the wrong motherboard.
    >> Whether it makes sense or not it is best to go through the steps to be
    >> certain.
    >
    > SB Audigy2 is the only other pci card in there so pulling it now which
    > frees up slot5. I'll install DVStorm there and see what happens.

    I've moved the sound card out and DVStorm onto slot5. What I feared
    might happen seems to have happened. That is, that by jerking stuff
    around I'd end up with a worse problem.

    The machine cannot be booted at all now. It finds nothing bootable on
    the listed media.

    I check the bios/boot setup to make sure 1st sata drive was listed as
    first hard drive (thats where winxp os is) and it is, next I checked
    the boot sequence settings. Its set to boot from hard drive as first
    choice.

    None the less on bootup I get 1st screen showing recognition of 2 IDE
    hard drives, next a screen showing recognition of 2 sata drives. And
    finally a message saying.
    Reboot and select proper boot device...

    Ok, I'm fresh out of ideas here. I've checked and rechecked that
    proper boot hdd is in line to be booted. It is.

    > None the less on bootup I get 1st screen showing recognition of 2 IDE
    > hard drives, next a screen showing recognition of 2 sata drives. And
    > finally a message saying.
    > Reboot and select proper boot device...
    >
    > Ok, I'm fresh out of ideas here. I've checked and rechecked that
    > proper boot hdd is in line to be booted. It is.

    Ack... moving the cards I managed to unseat the sata connectors and
    then ended up switching them on reconnect. my bad.

    "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> writes:

    >> Ack... moving the cards I managed to unseat the sata connectors
    >> and then ended up switching them on reconnect. my bad.
    >>

    > Let me offer you my sympathy. Doing that kind of stuff is what made my
    > hair go gray :-)
    >
    > Unfortunatley for me, it often takes me much longer than the 12 minutes
    > you seem to have taken to notice the problem.

    Hehe... thanks. Yes for once I caught it quick. It was kind of funny
    how I guessed the problem.

    When I couldn't boot I began to try every boot scenario I could.

    I tried sata2 instead of sata1, even though I knew XP was on sata1.

    Looo... the windows logo shows up. Instantly the thought forced its
    way thru my thick skull that I had switched them.

    >> None the less on bootup I get 1st screen showing recognition of 2
    >> IDE hard drives, next a screen showing recognition of 2 sata
    >> drives. And finally a message saying.
    >> Reboot and select proper boot device...
    >>
    >> Ok, I'm fresh out of ideas here. I've checked and rechecked
    >> that proper boot hdd is in line to be booted. It is.
    >
    > Ack... moving the cards I managed to unseat the sata connectors
    > and then ended up switching them on reconnect. my bad.

    Let me offer you my sympathy. Doing that kind of stuff is what made my
    hair go gray :-)

    Unfortunatley for me, it often takes me much longer than the 12 minutes
    you seem to have taken to notice the problem.

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

Tuner Cards Asus Graphics