I have a Linksys router and I wish to enable RDP on a PC behind a router. I'm confused about which IPs get used where.
1) I enable RDP
2) I set a private IP for my PC
3) I edit the TCP/IP connection properties and assign the IP from step 2.
4) I configured IIS to listen on a port.
5) I enable port forwarding on the router for both 3389 and the port I chose above.

I can't connect via the RDP Web using format "http://IP:port/tsweb"
I tried the IP returned by www.whatsmyip.org. - no work
I tried my router's (e.g. 192.168.1.1) - no work.

1) what IP do I use?
2) what am I missing?

thanks......

Well, if your testing from another PC on your private LAN use the LAN IP. If your testing from a
remote PC then use the public IP of the router. Its possible your ISP is blocking the IIS port,
particularly if it is TCP Port 80.

Can you test using the normal Remote Desktop client, ie. not the web based method, from both another
PC on your LAN and from a remote site?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Chris Goane" <Chris Goane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Linksys router and I wish to enable RDP on a PC behind a router. I'm confused about which
>IPs get used where.
> 1) I enable RDP
> 2) I set a private IP for my PC
> 3) I edit the TCP/IP connection properties and assign the IP from step 2.
> 4) I configured IIS to listen on a port.
> 5) I enable port forwarding on the router for both 3389 and the port I chose above.
>
> I can't connect via the RDP Web using format "http://IP:port/tsweb"
> I tried the IP returned by www.whatsmyip.org. - no work
> I tried my router's (e.g. 192.168.1.1) - no work.
>
> 1) what IP do I use?
> 2) what am I missing?
>
> thanks......

---

I tried "normal" (i.e. not ove the web) RDP using the public IP of the router. It worked well.

I can't connect from within my LAN. So, now I know I can't test from behind my router.

So it's something with 'over the web'. Any ideas?

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Well, if your testing from another PC on your private LAN use the LAN IP. If your testing from a
> remote PC then use the public IP of the router. Its possible your ISP is blocking the IIS port,
> particularly if it is TCP Port 80.
>
> Can you test using the normal Remote Desktop client, ie. not the web based method, from both another
> PC on your LAN and from a remote site?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Chris Goane" <Chris Goane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Linksys router and I wish to enable RDP on a PC behind a router. I'm confused about which
> >IPs get used where.
> > 1) I enable RDP
> > 2) I set a private IP for my PC
> > 3) I edit the TCP/IP connection properties and assign the IP from step 2.
> > 4) I configured IIS to listen on a port.
> > 5) I enable port forwarding on the router for both 3389 and the port I chose above.
> >
> > I can't connect via the RDP Web using format "http://IP:port/tsweb"
> > I tried the IP returned by www.whatsmyip.org. - no work
> > I tried my router's (e.g. 192.168.1.1) - no work.
> >
> > 1) what IP do I use?
> > 2) what am I missing?
> >
> > thanks......
>

> ---

Try this telnet test from a remote PC to see if you can pinpoint the problem...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628

--

"Bassman" <cgoane@softwaredesigner.com.nospam> wrote in message
>I tried "normal" (i.e. not ove the web) RDP using the public IP of the router. It worked well.
>
> I can't connect from within my LAN. So, now I know I can't test from behind my router.
>
> So it's something with 'over the web'. Any ideas?
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> Well, if your testing from another PC on your private LAN use the LAN IP. If your testing from a
>> remote PC then use the public IP of the router. Its possible your ISP is blocking the IIS port,
>> particularly if it is TCP Port 80.
>>
>> Can you test using the normal Remote Desktop client, ie. not the web based method, from both
>> another
>> PC on your LAN and from a remote site?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Chris Goane" <Chris Goane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Linksys router and I wish to enable RDP on a PC behind a router. I'm confused about
>> >which
>> >IPs get used where.
>> > 1) I enable RDP
>> > 2) I set a private IP for my PC
>> > 3) I edit the TCP/IP connection properties and assign the IP from step 2.
>> > 4) I configured IIS to listen on a port.
>> > 5) I enable port forwarding on the router for both 3389 and the port I chose above.
>> >
>> > I can't connect via the RDP Web using format "http://IP:port/tsweb"
>> > I tried the IP returned by www.whatsmyip.org. - no work
>> > I tried my router's (e.g. 192.168.1.1) - no work.
>> >
>> > 1) what IP do I use?
>> > 2) what am I missing?
>> >
>> > thanks......

---

Also do you actually get the "Connect" button or is it shadowed out?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:04:01 -0700, "Bassman"