PC desktop to TV - any way to improve?

I've searched Google, but I haven't found an answer to my specific question.
Also, I'm wondering if a product has been developed recently that might not
have been available a while back. My question is:
Is there any way to use my large-screen rear-projection TV as a *decent* PC
monitor? I realize this kind of TV is very low-res, but I'm curious as to
why I can play dvds from my computer to my TV which look great, but the
basic Windows desktop looks horrible. Makes me wonder if some type of
software or hardware exists that will convert desktop/browser images the
same way pc/dvd video can be converted to look good on TV. I've got a
Matrox G450 g-card, and using their DVDMax feature I can get pc video
quality on my tv that's as good as using my set-top dvd player. Obviously,
a conversion process is going on that allows the video images to display
properly at the TVs 500 lines or whatever of vertical res. I understand
that reducing my pc's (and thus the vga signal's) resolution will make it
more legible, but then the screen doesn't size to the TV.
Is there any kind of solution available?

Thank you,

jakesnake
9 answers Last reply
More about desktop improve

    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > I've searched Google, but I haven't found an answer to my specific
    > question.
    > Also, I'm wondering if a product has been developed recently that might
    > not
    > have been available a while back. My question is:
    > Is there any way to use my large-screen rear-projection TV as a *decent*
    > PC
    > monitor? I realize this kind of TV is very low-res, but I'm curious as to
    > why I can play dvds from my computer to my TV which look great, but the
    > basic Windows desktop looks horrible. Makes me wonder if some type of
    > software or hardware exists that will convert desktop/browser images the
    > same way pc/dvd video can be converted to look good on TV. I've got a
    > Matrox G450 g-card, and using their DVDMax feature I can get pc video
    > quality on my tv that's as good as using my set-top dvd player.
    > Obviously,
    > a conversion process is going on that allows the video images to display
    > properly at the TVs 500 lines or whatever of vertical res. I understand
    > that reducing my pc's (and thus the vga signal's) resolution will make it
    > more legible, but then the screen doesn't size to the TV.
    > Is there any kind of solution available?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > jakesnake

    Jake,
    Video will look good on a tv because it was originally designed for a tv.
    In fact the dvd will look bad on your PC, if it wasn't automatically
    de-interlaced first by the PC DVD playing software.
    You would see all the interlace scan lines, it would look bad. But they
    remove them and so it can look good on your PC.
    ON a TV the dvd or video file plays with its interlace, odd and even scan
    lines and looks normal.
    Unless of course, you have a higher resolution tv monitor that can display
    progressive scan video.

    OK, So that is why the video looks good on your tv, now why a PC screen
    picture looks bad on your tv is the opposite going on. There isn't enough
    detail or resolution on your tv to handle a pure vga image, so the video
    card tried and converts the PC screen to display properly on a tv by
    interlacing it, however since the graphics on a PC weren't designed for
    that, they just don't look that good. Even when viewed through a scan
    converter.
    In short, things look better when viewed in the resolution and device they
    were intended for.

    Take for instance microsoft's web tv, and his new msn tv device, they are
    intended for use on tv screens so the OS and software are showing images
    designed for that, usually larger graphics with no thin lines etc.. That
    will look better.

    I hope that helps a bit. :)
    Anthony

    Thanks Anthony. Great explanation.
    The only issue left a little bit unresolved is whether there's a product
    designed to *force* vga to look decent on tv, or at least a bit improved
    over what I get now. Are you familiar with anything? My guess is that even
    if it were possible technically, it no longer makes financial sense for the
    companies involved, given the advancements in tv display technology that are
    sure to displace the low-res stuff like I have. Agreed?
    Thank you,

    jakesnake

    "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message

    > "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > > I've searched Google, but I haven't found an answer to my specific
    > > question.
    > > Also, I'm wondering if a product has been developed recently that might
    > > not
    > > have been available a while back. My question is:
    > > Is there any way to use my large-screen rear-projection TV as a *decent*
    > > PC
    > > monitor? I realize this kind of TV is very low-res, but I'm curious as
    > > why I can play dvds from my computer to my TV which look great, but the
    > > basic Windows desktop looks horrible. Makes me wonder if some type of
    > > software or hardware exists that will convert desktop/browser images the
    > > same way pc/dvd video can be converted to look good on TV. I've got a
    > > Matrox G450 g-card, and using their DVDMax feature I can get pc video
    > > quality on my tv that's as good as using my set-top dvd player.
    > > Obviously,
    > > a conversion process is going on that allows the video images to display
    > > properly at the TVs 500 lines or whatever of vertical res. I understand
    > > that reducing my pc's (and thus the vga signal's) resolution will make
    it
    > > more legible, but then the screen doesn't size to the TV.
    > > Is there any kind of solution available?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > jakesnake
    > >

    > Jake,
    > Video will look good on a tv because it was originally designed for a tv.
    > In fact the dvd will look bad on your PC, if it wasn't automatically
    > de-interlaced first by the PC DVD playing software.
    > You would see all the interlace scan lines, it would look bad. But they
    > remove them and so it can look good on your PC.
    > ON a TV the dvd or video file plays with its interlace, odd and even scan
    > lines and looks normal.
    > Unless of course, you have a higher resolution tv monitor that can display
    > progressive scan video.
    >
    > OK, So that is why the video looks good on your tv, now why a PC screen
    > picture looks bad on your tv is the opposite going on. There isn't enough
    > detail or resolution on your tv to handle a pure vga image, so the video
    > card tried and converts the PC screen to display properly on a tv by
    > interlacing it, however since the graphics on a PC weren't designed for
    > that, they just don't look that good. Even when viewed through a scan
    > converter.
    > In short, things look better when viewed in the resolution and device they
    > were intended for.
    >
    > Take for instance microsoft's web tv, and his new msn tv device, they are
    > intended for use on tv screens so the OS and software are showing images
    > designed for that, usually larger graphics with no thin lines etc.. That
    > will look better.
    >
    > I hope that helps a bit. :)
    > Anthony

    Jake,
    Well, I don't know if any software could ever make a PC image look better on
    a TV.
    See, the tv will always be interlaced ntsc system which will show the scan
    lines and not much detail.
    It is possible the other way around because PC monitors have a higher
    resolution than tv, but going
    the other way around, you're left with trying to fit a higher resolution
    onto a lower resolution piece of hardware
    and expect it to fit and look good. it just can't because the hardware isn't
    there.

    It's almost like asking someone if it's possible thru a software upgrade to
    allow an older EGA resolution PC monitor to display a VGA image. It couldn't
    be done back then without buying a new higher resolution VGA display
    monitor.

    That's how I see it. Of course there are very good scan converters that will
    allow you to view a PC screen on your big screen, and I suppose from far
    away, it might look ok, but the retail will just not be there especially
    when you look at it close up cause the tv doesn't have the pixel count it
    needs.
    Have you tried any good scan converters to see if it's acceptable for your
    needs?
    In trade shows and classes many people demo computer stuff using a PC and
    displaying it on a projection screen using a scan converter, I suppose it's
    a better image than you would get from just going out on a video card.

    Canopus just came out with a new AD/VC converter that also can convert vga
    into tv signals, I never tried it but seen it on the web site.
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/SSC120EX/pt_SSC120EX.asp

    Hey Jake, I was looking for the link to it and realized they might suit you
    just right actually.

    This is the internal model for $199
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/SSC100/pt_SSC100.asp

    I wonder if this is what you meant? It should look better than the composite
    out on a dual head video card but not perfect or as good as a high
    resolution monitor, but maybe it will be enough for your needs?

    I hoped that I helped,
    AnthonyR.

> [...]
    >> progressive scan video.
    >>
    >> OK, So that is why the video looks good on your tv, now why a PC screen
    >> picture looks bad on your tv is the opposite going on. There isn't enough
    >> detail or resolution on your tv to handle a pure vga image, so the video
    >> card tried and converts the PC screen to display properly on a tv by
    >> interlacing it, however since the graphics on a PC weren't designed for
    >> that, they just don't look that good. Even when viewed through a scan
    >> converter.
    >> In short, things look better when viewed in the resolution and device
    >> they
    >> were intended for.
    >>
    >> Take for instance microsoft's web tv, and his new msn tv device, they are
    >> intended for use on tv screens so the OS and software are showing images
    >> designed for that, usually larger graphics with no thin lines etc.. That

    I knew if I pressed you a little bit you'd come through ;))
    That looks perfect. I don't need visual excellence, or really anything like
    true 1024x768 vga on a good monitor. Really, I just want it accetable for
    basic web surfing. My only concern is the way it might render text, for
    example on Word docs or PDFs. I think my tv is 48", which at least gives me
    decent size. My seating is approximately 20' from the tv. From my video
    card out I cannot read text very well, but games or okay, and web surfing is
    tolerable in small amounts. More than 15 minutes leads to considerable
    frustration and eye strain.

    At any rate, I think the Canopus looks very good, and at $199 list it's
    certainly worth trying, rather than jumping into an expensive HDTV, when my
    big-screen Hitachi is certainly a worthy tv.

    By the way, are the $1000 HDTVs really much better suited to use as monitors
    than typical tvs like I've got?

> [...]
    > >> picture looks bad on your tv is the opposite going on. There isn't
    enough
    > >> detail or resolution on your tv to handle a pure vga image, so the
    video
    > >> card tried and converts the PC screen to display properly on a tv by
    > >> interlacing it, however since the graphics on a PC weren't designed for
    > >> that, they just don't look that good. Even when viewed through a scan
    > >> converter.
    > >> In short, things look better when viewed in the resolution and device
    > >> they
    > >> were intended for.
    > >>
    > >> Take for instance microsoft's web tv, and his new msn tv device, they
    are
    > >> intended for use on tv screens so the OS and software are showing
    images
    > >> designed for that, usually larger graphics with no thin lines etc..

    In article <3Nugd.63359$5v2.28559@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, jake@lycos.com
    says...
    > Subject: Re: PC desktop to TV - any way to improve?
    > From: "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > I knew if I pressed you a little bit you'd come through ;))
    > That looks perfect. I don't need visual excellence, or really anything like
    > true 1024x768 vga on a good monitor. Really, I just want it accetable for
    > basic web surfing. My only concern is the way it might render text, for
    > example on Word docs or PDFs. I think my tv is 48", which at least gives me
    > decent size. My seating is approximately 20' from the tv. From my video
    > card out I cannot read text very well, but games or okay, and web surfing is
    > tolerable in small amounts. More than 15 minutes leads to considerable
    > frustration and eye strain.
    >
    > At any rate, I think the Canopus looks very good, and at $199 list it's
    > certainly worth trying, rather than jumping into an expensive HDTV, when my
    > big-screen Hitachi is certainly a worthy tv.
    >
    > By the way, are the $1000 HDTVs really much better suited to use as monitors
    > than typical tvs like I've got?
    >
    > jakesnake

    The cheaper solution is to use the accessability options for sight
    imparied people and jack up the size of the fonts and buttons. In XP
    it's under the control panel.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    >I knew if I pressed you a little bit you'd come through ;))
    > That looks perfect. I don't need visual excellence, or really anything
    > like
    > true 1024x768 vga on a good monitor. Really, I just want it accetable for
    > basic web surfing. My only concern is the way it might render text, for
    > example on Word docs or PDFs. I think my tv is 48", which at least gives
    > me
    > decent size. My seating is approximately 20' from the tv. From my video
    > card out I cannot read text very well, but games or okay, and web surfing
    > is
    > tolerable in small amounts. More than 15 minutes leads to considerable
    > frustration and eye strain.
    >
    > At any rate, I think the Canopus looks very good, and at $199 list it's
    > certainly worth trying, rather than jumping into an expensive HDTV, when
    > my
    > big-screen Hitachi is certainly a worthy tv.
    >
    > By the way, are the $1000 HDTVs really much better suited to use as
    > monitors
    > than typical tvs like I've got?
    >
    > jakesnake

    ..
    Hi Jake,
    In answering your last question about whether a $1000 HDTV is better suited
    than say your current tv, It's hard to tell, first what $1000 HDTV are you
    referring to? any model number to see? cause most the larger hdtv's cost
    much more I believe.
    There are $1000 smaller sized lcd type hdtv's, like 17 " widescreen, are you
    referring to those?

    A friend just bought a 48" Panasonic HDTV Rear LCD type, he uses it with a
    tivo, so he's only feeding it regular ntsc signals, low quality one's
    actually but look ok. NO worse than they did on his old set which was
    smaller.
    OK Point being, it has a digital connector on the back, I believe a vga
    computer input. I've been trying to convince him to move his computer to the
    livingroom and hook it up cause I'm curious how good the picture would look.
    If he ever tries it, I'll let you know. Maybe if I borrow a laptop and go
    there with it I can try this one day.
    He is happy with his tv picture which comes off satellite onto his tivo and
    then to tv. I would be more curious having spent $2500 on a tv set, exactly
    how clear a picture it can display. I'm sure you would be too! :)

    AnthonyR.

    If this link is hot, take a look here.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/category.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&cat=TVs+%26+TV+Stands

    I was at Sears the other night, and they had many very ordinary-looking TVs
    there labeled "HDTV Monitor," such as the Sony listed in the upper left.
    The architecture looked like a regular TV, but all of them had "HDTV" on
    them. I was in a hurry, so I didn't look at the specs closely. I will say
    that the images that were running on them looked very good, but that doesn't
    mean anything, and to my knowledge none of them were being fed by a pc.
    Mind you, none of them were flat-panel or plasma or LCD/digital, per se. I
    can only assume they offer higher resolutions than typical tvs, which I
    guess they think justifies the "hdtv monitor" designation. My reason for
    asking about something like this is it's time to replace the 32" tv in our
    bedroom, and if something like this will produce decent vga images it makes
    a lot of sense. I plan on building a modest HTPC for that room in
    particular.
    Thanks for all your input.

    > If this link is hot, take a look here.
    > http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/category.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&cat=TVs+%26+TV+Stands
    >
    > I was at Sears the other night, and they had many very ordinary-looking
    > TVs
    > there labeled "HDTV Monitor," such as the Sony listed in the upper left.
    > The architecture looked like a regular TV, but all of them had "HDTV" on
    > them. I was in a hurry, so I didn't look at the specs closely. I will
    > say
    > that the images that were running on them looked very good, but that
    > doesn't
    > mean anything, and to my knowledge none of them were being fed by a pc.
    > Mind you, none of them were flat-panel or plasma or LCD/digital, per se.
    > can only assume they offer higher resolutions than typical tvs, which I
    > guess they think justifies the "hdtv monitor" designation.

    I would assume that "HDTV" means that it has the appropriate inputs,
    signal handling, sweep rates, etc. I would *NOT* make any assumptions
    about how it actually looks on the screen.

    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > If this link is hot, take a look here.
    > http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/category.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&cat=TVs+%26+TV+Stands
    >
    > I was at Sears the other night, and they had many very ordinary-looking
    > TVs
    > there labeled "HDTV Monitor," such as the Sony listed in the upper left.
    > The architecture looked like a regular TV, but all of them had "HDTV" on
    > them. I was in a hurry, so I didn't look at the specs closely. I will
    > say
    > that the images that were running on them looked very good, but that
    > doesn't
    > mean anything, and to my knowledge none of them were being fed by a pc.
    > Mind you, none of them were flat-panel or plasma or LCD/digital, per se.
    > can only assume they offer higher resolutions than typical tvs, which I
    > guess they think justifies the "hdtv monitor" designation. My reason for
    > asking about something like this is it's time to replace the 32" tv in our
    > bedroom, and if something like this will produce decent vga images it
    > makes
    > a lot of sense. I plan on building a modest HTPC for that room in
    > particular.
    > Thanks for all your input.
    >
    > jakesnake

    Jake,
    all the specs on those sets basically say 1080i, 720p and 480p resolution
    but none of the come with a DVI input that I seen which would make a PC easy
    to hook up, a lot of sets do come with a DVI input so look for that and
    besides the tv standards specs look for the PC resolution because those
    little 20" LCD sets for $899 only had 640x480 resolution listed in the specs
    and the $1100 one had 1024x768 listed. So the resolution on the real big
    one's like the sony, I don't know about, didn't see it cause I think it
    isn't made for PC input. Like I had said earlier the LCD thin 48" Panasonic
    my friend bought had a PC connection in the back, i think it was either DVI
    or VGA connector, so they do come with it but check the resolution cause
    just saying HDTV doesn't really tell you what a PC input will look like or
    if it accepts that at all.
    Remember that 1080i HDTV is still an interlaced video signal and PC is not,
    but they do handle 720p which is better than most tv's can so it might look
    better on it.
    But also just thinking if there is no PC connection then you probably would
    need a scan converter that outputs to a 720p signal and not a regular 480i
    of regular tv sets, do more research on it before you buy.

    AnthonyR.

Tuner Cards TV Desktops Graphics