Verbatim DVD-R Caution on Package

I just bought a spindle pack of 50 Verbatim that says UP TO 8X.

There is a big Caution note on it that says:

Damage to media and hardware could occur if this disc is used in some 1X/2X
DVD drives. Check drive's manufacturer for latest firmware."

Damage to hardware ????

I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD writer, but I also have a Sony DVD player and a
DVD-R writer drive on my 2-year-old Pentium 4 PC.

Should I take them back ?

--
C and A Bredt

I would not worry. I can't imagine this is anything more than CYA 101.

There is no way one particular brand of DVD-R, or +R, could be that dramatically
different that they would damage the drive.

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a spindle pack of 50 Verbatim that says UP TO 8X.
>
> There is a big Caution note on it that says:
>
> Damage to media and hardware could occur if this disc is used in some 1X/2X
> DVD drives. Check drive's manufacturer for latest firmware."
>
> Damage to hardware ????
>
> I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD writer, but I also have a Sony DVD player and a
> DVD-R writer drive on my 2-year-old Pentium 4 PC.
>
> Should I take them back ?
>
> --
> C and A Bredt

If you go to the Pioneer website, there are warnings there about
upgrading some of the earlier burners with new firmware to avoid
damage to the drive. Not sure what other drives were affected,
but if I remember correctly it was partially an issue with the standards
for 4x and 8x had not yet been defined when the earlier 1x/2x drives
came out.
The statement on the Pioneer web page is
http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/fset_dev_e.html
(about 1/3 down the page)

[begin quote]

// Important Notice
It is revealed that following Pioneer DVD/CD writers(DVR-A03/DVR-A04 and
DVR-104) are implied to cause possible hardware and/or media damage when
they write/record on 8X-speed DVD-R or 4X-speed DVD-R or 4X-speed DVD-RW
or 2X-speed DVD-RW media in combination with following firmware version*1.

*1 DVR-A03: Ver1.80 and/or previous firmware
DVR-A04/DVR-104: Ver1.20 and/or previous firmware

If your drive is in the case, please download updated firmware from
a Pioneer firmware Download page.

[end quote]

mikey

Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:

> I just bought a spindle pack of 50 Verbatim that says UP TO 8X.
>
> There is a big Caution note on it that says:
>
> Damage to media and hardware could occur if this disc is used in some 1X/2X
> DVD drives. Check drive's manufacturer for latest firmware."
>
> Damage to hardware ????
>
> I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD writer, but I also have a Sony DVD player and a
> DVD-R writer drive on my 2-year-old Pentium 4 PC.
>
> Should I take them back ?

Nope.. They are referring to a specific Pioneer drive (A04) that had
issues when 2x first came out. Pioneer fixed the problem with a
downloadable firmware update.

Don't sweat it if you don't have one of those drives (which have pretty
much been phased out now).

http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_DVR_A04_DVD_RW_EIDE/4514-3212_7-9816702.html

-Richard

AnthonyR

Actually the warning is for older 1x and 2x drives that haven't had the
firmware upgraded to recognize the faster disc's and act accordingly. It's
not so much that a disc is so different that it would hurt the drive, it's
more that because the older firmware had no clue how to handle these disc's
the machine would sometimes malfunction and burn itself out.

I would take everyone's advice who said not to worry.
If you have an older drive then just update the firmware otherwise, it's not
a worry.
Even 4x discs would hurt these older 1x burners.

Players have no problem since the error was in the laser overheating during
burning a disc.
There is no problem in players reading a movie on them after they've been
burned.

AnthonyR.

"Randall McMurphy" <nospam@no-spam.cok> wrote in message
>I would not worry. I can't imagine this is anything more than CYA 101.
>
> There is no way one particular brand of DVD-R, or +R, could be that
> dramatically different that they would damage the drive.
>
> "Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I just bought a spindle pack of 50 Verbatim that says UP TO 8X.
>>
>> There is a big Caution note on it that says:
>>
>> Damage to media and hardware could occur if this disc is used in some
>> 1X/2X
>> DVD drives. Check drive's manufacturer for latest firmware."
>>
>> Damage to hardware ????
>>
>> I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD writer, but I also have a Sony DVD player and
>> DVD-R writer drive on my 2-year-old Pentium 4 PC.
>>
>> Should I take them back ?
>>
>> --
>> C and A Bredt

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:44:41 GMT "Carol and Allen Bredt"
<abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in Message id:
<tDegd.27816$jo2.9083@twister.socal.rr.com>:

>I just bought a spindle pack of 50 Verbatim that says UP TO 8X.
>
>There is a big Caution note on it that says:
>
>Damage to media and hardware could occur if this disc is used in some 1X/2X
>DVD drives. Check drive's manufacturer for latest firmware."
>
>Damage to hardware ????
>
>I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD writer, but I also have a Sony DVD player and a
>DVD-R writer drive on my 2-year-old Pentium 4 PC.
>
>Should I take them back ?

Here's a pretty good compatibility list that I use:
http://www.meritline.com/dvd-r-media-4-dvd-burner-recorder.html#21
Unfortunately, it doesn't list the Pioneer drive you mentioned, but
perhaps your Sony is here?

Randall McMurphy wrote:

>I would not worry. I can't imagine this is anything more than CYA 101.
>
>There is no way one particular brand of DVD-R, or +R, could be that dramatically
>different that they would damage the drive.

Sigh, another 'know-it-all' offering advice. If you 'really' know the
answer, post it. If you 'think' you know the answer, be quiet and
wait for the real answer to be posted.

>"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I just bought a spindle pack of 50 Verbatim that says UP TO 8X.
>>
>> There is a big Caution note on it that says:
>>
>> Damage to media and hardware could occur if this disc is used in some 1X/2X
>> DVD drives. Check drive's manufacturer for latest firmware."
>>
>> Damage to hardware ????
>>
>> I have a Pioneer 220-S DVD writer, but I also have a Sony DVD player and a
>> DVD-R writer drive on my 2-year-old Pentium 4 PC.
>>
>> Should I take them back ?
>>
>> --
>> C and A Bredt

TRENDING THREADS