HUGE Problem with remote assistance, need help ASAP!!!

When I use remote assistance on my internal network my
take control icon is grayed out. I can only login to the
other XP machine and the other user doesn't get the
option to allow me to view them. They just get logged off
(it acts like a ts session).

Remote assistance offers three ways of invitation:

Outlook
MS Messenger
File based

We don't use outlook/exchange and messenger is blocked. I
am creating a file session via the remote assistance
wizard and then sending the invitation file over the
network to my admin workstation. I double click the file
and it opens the remote assistance window but all the
buttons are grayed out. I can only logon (thus logging
the user off) and take control is grayed out (upper left
button).

I have a MS article that explains using file based
invitations if you don't have a mapi client or messenger
but it says NOTHING about limited usage.

Either the person who wrote the article REALLY dropped
the ball when it came to letting us know the difference
or I am doing something wrong.

Please help! My contract with pcanywhere expires very
soon and I need to know if I will have to renew. I would
hate to do that when I can do it for free with remote
assistance (one of the reasons we ordered 1000+ xp
machines).

Thanks in advance!

Maybe a Group Policy issue? Go to "Start -> Run" and type gpedit.msc at the command line. Navigate
to the "Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->
Remote Assistance" and make sure both the "Solicited Remote Assistance" and "Offer Remote
Assistance" policies are either "Not configured" or configured correctly...

Since you appear to be in a domain environment, ie. "we ordered 1000+ xp machines" is the clue, you
might do a search on "Offer Remote Assistance" in Help and Support. It may make your job easier...
Also look at these KB articles for help with the "Offer Remote Assistance" feature. I believe you
should look closely at the "Solicited" policy, which I believe has to be enabled...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308013
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310629
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306496

Hmmm.... Art Vandelay... that name seems familiar... Are you an architect?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Art Vandelay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I use remote assistance on my internal network my
> take control icon is grayed out. I can only login to the
> other XP machine and the other user doesn't get the
> option to allow me to view them. They just get logged off
> (it acts like a ts session).
>
> Remote assistance offers three ways of invitation:
>
> Outlook
> MS Messenger
> File based
>
> We don't use outlook/exchange and messenger is blocked. I
> am creating a file session via the remote assistance
> wizard and then sending the invitation file over the
> network to my admin workstation. I double click the file
> and it opens the remote assistance window but all the
> buttons are grayed out. I can only logon (thus logging
> the user off) and take control is grayed out (upper left
> button).
>
> I have a MS article that explains using file based
> invitations if you don't have a mapi client or messenger
> but it says NOTHING about limited usage.
>
> Either the person who wrote the article REALLY dropped
> the ball when it came to letting us know the difference
> or I am doing something wrong.
>
> Please help! My contract with pcanywhere expires very
> soon and I need to know if I will have to renew. I would
> hate to do that when I can do it for free with remote
> assistance (one of the reasons we ordered 1000+ xp
> machines).
>
> Thanks in advance!

---

Thanks for the reply! I did all that before posting this
(I guess I should have mentioned it) I enabled the user
accounts in both the Domain GP and the local policy on
the machines using gpedit.msc

Everything is grayed out and I just can't understand why.
I want the users to see me make changes and would rather
then not get logged out.

us;308013
us;301527
us;310629
us;306496

>Hmmm.... Art Vandelay... that name seems familiar... Are
you an architect?

>--
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
>Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news
group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

wrote in message
>> When I use remote assistance on my internal network my
>> take control icon is grayed out. I can only login to
the
>> other XP machine and the other user doesn't get the
>> option to allow me to view them. They just get logged
off
>> (it acts like a ts session).
>>
>> Remote assistance offers three ways of invitation:
>>
>> Outlook
>> MS Messenger
>> File based
>>
>> We don't use outlook/exchange and messenger is
blocked. I
>> am creating a file session via the remote assistance
>> wizard and then sending the invitation file over the
>> network to my admin workstation. I double click the
file
>> and it opens the remote assistance window but all the
>> buttons are grayed out. I can only logon (thus logging
>> the user off) and take control is grayed out (upper
left
>> button).
>>
>> I have a MS article that explains using file based
>> invitations if you don't have a mapi client or
messenger
>> but it says NOTHING about limited usage.
>>
>> Either the person who wrote the article REALLY dropped
>> the ball when it came to letting us know the difference
>> or I am doing something wrong.
>>
>> Please help! My contract with pcanywhere expires very
>> soon and I need to know if I will have to renew. I
would
>> hate to do that when I can do it for free with remote
>> assistance (one of the reasons we ordered 1000+ xp
>> machines).
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
7/5/2004

>.

I guess I will renew my contract with pcanywhere because
this remote assistance is a friggin joke! How can
something so easy screw up this bad? Oh wait its a
Microsoft product... :/

I am so frustrated right now, nothing seems to work. What
boggles my mind is that remote assistance works fine but
the damned icons are grayed out. How can this be? WHY IS
THERE NO DOCUMENTATION TO SUPPORT THIS>?!>>!>!>!>

AM I THE ONLY ONE IN THE UNIVERSE WHO HAS RUN INTO THIS
FRIGGIN PROBLEM!?!?!

ARgh I can just scream!!!

and
>confers no rights...
>>
>>"Art Vandelay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>wrote in message
>>> When I use remote assistance on my internal network my
>>> take control icon is grayed out. I can only login to
>the
>>> other XP machine and the other user doesn't get the
>>> option to allow me to view them. They just get logged
>off
>>> (it acts like a ts session).
>>>
>>> Remote assistance offers three ways of invitation:
>>>
>>> Outlook
>>> MS Messenger
>>> File based
>>>
>>> We don't use outlook/exchange and messenger is
>blocked. I
>>> am creating a file session via the remote assistance
>>> wizard and then sending the invitation file over the
>>> network to my admin workstation. I double click the
>file
>>> and it opens the remote assistance window but all the
>>> buttons are grayed out. I can only logon (thus logging
>>> the user off) and take control is grayed out (upper
>left
>>> button).
>>>
>>> I have a MS article that explains using file based
>>> invitations if you don't have a mapi client or
>messenger
>>> but it says NOTHING about limited usage.
>>>
>>> Either the person who wrote the article REALLY dropped
>>> the ball when it came to letting us know the
difference
>>> or I am doing something wrong.
>>>
>>> Please help! My contract with pcanywhere expires very
>>> soon and I need to know if I will have to renew. I
>would
>>> hate to do that when I can do it for free with remote
>>> assistance (one of the reasons we ordered 1000+ xp
>>> machines).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>

>>---
>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
>(http://www.grisoft.com).
>7/5/2004
>>
>>.
>>
>.

Have you looked that this KB article? It seems to describe your problem...

;306045]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306045

--

> Thanks for the reply! I did all that before posting this
> (I guess I should have mentioned it) I enabled the user
> accounts in both the Domain GP and the local policy on
> the machines using gpedit.msc
>
> Everything is grayed out and I just can't understand why.
> I want the users to see me make changes and would rather
> then not get logged out.

---