Remotely accessing a computer

I have a computer at work and a computer at home, both running Windows XP.
I would like to be able to access each computer from the other. I have done
this on other computers with Terminal Services, but I am now looking for a
free alternative. What do I need to do?

My second question is, once I have this set up, is there a way I can connect
to the remote computer when it is turned off? Currently, both computers use
dial-up modems. Do I need to upgrade to ADSL (I am not sure if this is
available in my area) and use the ADSL modem as some sort of router?

Carolyn wrote:
> I have a computer at work and a computer at home, both running
> Windows XP. I would like to be able to access each computer from the
> other. I have done this on other computers with Terminal Services,
> but I am now looking for a free alternative. What do I need to do?

With XP Pro, you can use Remote Desktop to allow terminal connections (only
one connection at a time, note). With XP Home, there's no such option.

> My second question is, once I have this set up, is there a way I can
> connect to the remote computer when it is turned off?

Turned off as in, computer is powered down? Not easily or cheaply.

> Currently,
> both computers use dial-up modems. Do I need to upgrade to ADSL (I
> am not sure if this is available in my area) and use the ADSL modem
> as some sort of router?

You'll be much happier if you don't have dialup in general (and I'd go with
a cable modem over DSL any day). Performance will not be much fun with
dialup. The host computer needs to have an Internet connection established
before you can create the VPN tunnel to it, and port 3389 needs to be
allowed inbound. If you can't get broadband, you may want to look into RAS
(dialup directly to the other computer).

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdwebconn.mspx

"Carolyn" wrote:

> I have a computer at work and a computer at home, both running Windows XP.
> I would like to be able to access each computer from the other. I have done
> this on other computers with Terminal Services, but I am now looking for a
> free alternative. What do I need to do?
>
> My second question is, once I have this set up, is there a way I can connect
> to the remote computer when it is turned off? Currently, both computers use
> dial-up modems. Do I need to upgrade to ADSL (I am not sure if this is
> available in my area) and use the ADSL modem as some sort of router?

That won't help... :(

If the two machines are Windows XP Pro, Remote Desktop will work...
If they aren't, consider using a product like UltraVNC
(http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com