Is this a Field Order/Interlacing Problem?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I use Roxio Easy DVD Creator 6.0 to capture, edit, encode and burn my
DVDs. It's worked very well, with only one problem...

My problem is when I play my DVDs on my TV, any movement looks
choppy/jerky. It's especially bad in scenes where my son is in his
jolly jumper (it looks AWFUL!). On my PC it looks good.

Based on tests I've done, everything is fine with my PC, my captured
video - I think (28771200 bit rate/29.97 fps) my media, size of movie,
my burner, etc., so I've come to the conculsion that Roxio is encoding
my .avi files poorly. I see no option to adjust the field order or
interlacing option, or anything else for that matter, so I don't know
what's going on.

Here's an interesting point that perhaps some of you can explain: I
managed to do a direct capture of my miniDV video directly to mpeg1
and although I see a video quality loss after encoding it with Roxio
before the burn, there is no jerkyness. Obviously, this solves the
problem, but there is a severe quality difference with using .mpeg in
my DVD project instead of .avi.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? Do I need new software because
Roxio just can't handle 'action' shots very well?

Thanks!
Larry

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Okay - need confirmation here. I think I may have found the problem,
but I don't want to waste any more media burning DVDs!

I captured my video using WinDV and noticed a bitrate that looks
substantially different than it does when I captured from Roxio
(Roxio's says 28,771,200 when I look at file properties in Roxio and
WinDVs says 248,583,168). Can this even be possible (almost 10x the
bit rate)? Roxio detects my source video as Sony MiniDV Camcorder, so
I am not sure why the bitrate would be so much lower. The captured
bitrate is not adjustable.

The burned DVD looks better. Still not perfect, but my action
sequences are not jerky.

Can anyone explain this? Am I correct in assuming that this would
cause jerky/jumpy video in the high action/movement sequences of my
burned DVDs?

Thanks!
Larry

larry_both@hotmail.com (Larry) wrote in message news:<2b801013.0410291043.2861d9c4@posting.google.com>...
> I use Roxio Easy DVD Creator 6.0 to capture, edit, encode and burn my
> DVDs. It's worked very well, with only one problem...
>
> My problem is when I play my DVDs on my TV, any movement looks
> choppy/jerky. It's especially bad in scenes where my son is in his
> jolly jumper (it looks AWFUL!). On my PC it looks good.
>
> Based on tests I've done, everything is fine with my PC, my captured
> video - I think (28771200 bit rate/29.97 fps) my media, size of movie,
> my burner, etc., so I've come to the conculsion that Roxio is encoding
> my .avi files poorly. I see no option to adjust the field order or
> interlacing option, or anything else for that matter, so I don't know
> what's going on.
>
> Here's an interesting point that perhaps some of you can explain: I
> managed to do a direct capture of my miniDV video directly to mpeg1
> and although I see a video quality loss after encoding it with Roxio
> before the burn, there is no jerkyness. Obviously, this solves the
> problem, but there is a severe quality difference with using .mpeg in
> my DVD project instead of .avi.
>
> Can anyone help me solve this problem? Do I need new software because
> Roxio just can't handle 'action' shots very well?
>
> Thanks!
> Larry

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Okay - last post I made I listed the 'video bit rate' listed in the
file info in Roxio. I am confused by this vs. the 'bit rate per
second' thing (since 8,000kps would be maximum for 720x480). To
clarify what I mean, the Roxio file info states that the file I
captured using WinDV had a 'video bit rate' of 248,583,168 but when I
look at the file properties in windows, the summary information lists
the bit rate being 1024 kps.

HUH????? Is there a calculation to perform that would result in this
bitrate?

Thanks - for the final time!
Larry

larry_both@hotmail.com (Larry) wrote in message news:<2b801013.0410291043.2861d9c4@posting.google.com>...
> I use Roxio Easy DVD Creator 6.0 to capture, edit, encode and burn my
> DVDs. It's worked very well, with only one problem...
>
> My problem is when I play my DVDs on my TV, any movement looks
> choppy/jerky. It's especially bad in scenes where my son is in his
> jolly jumper (it looks AWFUL!). On my PC it looks good.
>
> Based on tests I've done, everything is fine with my PC, my captured
> video - I think (28771200 bit rate/29.97 fps) my media, size of movie,
> my burner, etc., so I've come to the conculsion that Roxio is encoding
> my .avi files poorly. I see no option to adjust the field order or
> interlacing option, or anything else for that matter, so I don't know
> what's going on.
>
> Here's an interesting point that perhaps some of you can explain: I
> managed to do a direct capture of my miniDV video directly to mpeg1
> and although I see a video quality loss after encoding it with Roxio
> before the burn, there is no jerkyness. Obviously, this solves the
> problem, but there is a severe quality difference with using .mpeg in
> my DVD project instead of .avi.
>
> Can anyone help me solve this problem? Do I need new software because
> Roxio just can't handle 'action' shots very well?
>
> Thanks!
> Larry

larry_both@hotmail.com (Larry) wrote:

>I use Roxio Easy DVD Creator 6.0 to capture, edit, encode and burn my
>DVDs. It's worked very well, with only one problem...
>
>My problem is when I play my DVDs on my TV, any movement looks
>choppy/jerky. It's especially bad in scenes where my son is in his
>jolly jumper (it looks AWFUL!). On my PC it looks good.

That does sound like a field-order problem.

>Based on tests I've done, everything is fine with my PC, my captured
>video - I think (28771200 bit rate/29.97 fps) my media, size of movie,
>my burner, etc., so I've come to the conculsion that Roxio is encoding
>my .avi files poorly. I see no option to adjust the field order or
>interlacing option, or anything else for that matter, so I don't know
>what's going on.
>
>Here's an interesting point that perhaps some of you can explain: I
>managed to do a direct capture of my miniDV video directly to mpeg1
>and although I see a video quality loss after encoding it with Roxio
>before the burn, there is no jerkyness. Obviously, this solves the
>problem, but there is a severe quality difference with using .mpeg in
>my DVD project instead of .avi.

The MPEG1 file is not interlaced, so field order is not an issue. I
suspect it looks worse because its resolution is only 352x240.

>Can anyone help me solve this problem? Do I need new software because
>Roxio just can't handle 'action' shots very well?

I'm not familiar with the Roxio software, but I would suggest
capturing your video in DV AVI format and then letting TMPGEnc encode
that to DVD-compliant MPEG2 format. You'll then need authoring
software that won't re-encode your already-compliant file from TMPGEnc
(I use either TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVDLab).