Audio Conforming -- Premiere Pro

Is anyone having trouble with audio conforming in Premiere Pro? Seems
no matter what I do the audion needs conformed. If I dump a tape to
the system the audio needs conformed which takes about a half hour for
an hour tape. I understand that you are supposed to be able to work
while the audio is conforming with only a slight speed degradation but
I cannot do anything until the audio is conformed I have a pretty Befy
Dell PC 3ghz 1 gig of ram plety of HD space. Anybody have any tricks
or workarounds? this is a real work flow killer as I'd like to be able
to capture my avi on a different pc then edit on the PPRO machine but
every time any video comes into PPRO it needs to be conformed and I
cannot do anything until it is done.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh
9 answers Last reply
More about audio conforming premiere

    what is the sample rate / width of your incoming audio and what is the
    project settings.

    On 29 Oct 2004 13:09:28 -0700, josh@starsick.com (Josh Starsick)
    wrote:

    >Is anyone having trouble with audio conforming in Premiere Pro? Seems
    >no matter what I do the audion needs conformed. If I dump a tape to
    >the system the audio needs conformed which takes about a half hour for
    >an hour tape. I understand that you are supposed to be able to work
    >while the audio is conforming with only a slight speed degradation but
    >I cannot do anything until the audio is conformed I have a pretty Befy
    >Dell PC 3ghz 1 gig of ram plety of HD space. Anybody have any tricks
    >or workarounds? this is a real work flow killer as I'd like to be able
    >to capture my avi on a different pc then edit on the PPRO machine but
    >every time any video comes into PPRO it needs to be conformed and I
    >cannot do anything until it is done.

    That's normal. Audio needs to be conformed for every project.,
    although it shouldn't take that long to conform.

    "Jim Gunn" wrote...
    > (Josh Starsick) wrote:
    >
    >>Is anyone having trouble with audio conforming in Premiere Pro? Seems
    >>no matter what I do the audion needs conformed. If I dump a tape to
    >>the system the audio needs conformed which takes about a half hour for
    >>an hour tape. I understand that you are supposed to be able to work
    >>while the audio is conforming with only a slight speed degradation but
    >>I cannot do anything until the audio is conformed I have a pretty Befy
    >>Dell PC 3ghz 1 gig of ram plety of HD space. Anybody have any tricks
    >>or workarounds? this is a real work flow killer as I'd like to be able
    >>to capture my avi on a different pc then edit on the PPRO machine but
    >>every time any video comes into PPRO it needs to be conformed and I
    >>cannot do anything until it is done.
    >>

    > That's normal. Audio needs to be conformed for every project.,
    > although it shouldn't take that long to conform.

    Not normal in my experience. 99% of the time Premiere does
    NO "conformation" or "rendering" of audio at all, and 1% of
    the time it takes a few milliseconds, just long enough for an
    old human like me to percieve.

    I agree with the other response that Mr. Starsick seems to
    has a significant mismatch between the clips he is importing
    and the settings of the project. Likely a difference in sample
    rates (32K or 44.1K vs 48K) or maybe even word-width
    (12bit vs. 16-bit).

    Since I primarily use DV for video, I make it a point that
    everything I do (for video) is 16-bit @ 48K, sometimes mono,
    sometimes stereo, depending on what it is. I frequently
    videotape live music performances and then strip the audio
    track out of Premiere and use CoolEdit/Audition to down-
    convert to 44.1K to make audio CDs from.

    We are assuming that Mr. Starsick is *really* seeing AUDIO
    "conforming" and not VIDEO. One way to test this hypothesis
    is to actually render the audio separately with the menu option.

    The clips I am capturing have an audio sample rate of 32k my premiere
    project is set to 32k clips are about an hour in length and take about
    1/2 hour to conform. I am unable to do anything elese while they
    conform. My workflow starts at with a live signal being sent through
    panasonic AG-DV2000 (basically a $2000.00 transcoder at this poiunt)
    and is captured directly to hard disk with Win DV these files are
    transfered acroos the network to my PPRO station then imported into
    PPRO at this point the conforming starts and really slows down my work
    flow. I have also captured DV within premiere and when the capture
    is done it still conforms the audio.

    besides that everything else works great.

    > The clips I am capturing have an audio sample rate of 32k my premiere
    > project is set to 32k clips are about an hour in length and take about
    > 1/2 hour to conform. I am unable to do anything elese while they
    > conform. My workflow starts at with a live signal being sent through
    > panasonic AG-DV2000 (basically a $2000.00 transcoder at this poiunt)
    > and is captured directly to hard disk with Win DV these files are
    > transfered acroos the network to my PPRO station then imported into
    > PPRO at this point the conforming starts and really slows down my work
    > flow. I have also captured DV within premiere and when the capture
    > is done it still conforms the audio.
    >
    > besides that everything else works great.

    That's odd Josh. Premiere shoudl only have to conform or render when the
    audio is different from the project. When you look at the properties of the
    clips are they 12 bit/32Khz? Because Premiere will probably only do 16 bit
    32Khz. Could it be that is the difference?

    Also, what happens if you set Premiere to 48Khz or 44.1?

    > "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message

    >> > That's normal. Audio needs to be conformed for every project.,
    >> > although it shouldn't take that long to conform.
    >>
    >> Not normal in my experience. 99% of the time Premiere does
    >> NO "conformation" or "rendering" of audio at all, and 1% of
    >> the time it takes a few milliseconds, just long enough for an
    >> old human like me to percieve.
    >>
    >> I agree with the other response that Mr. Starsick seems to
    >> has a significant mismatch between the clips he is importing
    >> and the settings of the project. Likely a difference in sample
    >> rates (32K or 44.1K vs 48K) or maybe even word-width
    >> (12bit vs. 16-bit).
    >>
    >> Since I primarily use DV for video, I make it a point that
    >> everything I do (for video) is 16-bit @ 48K, sometimes mono,
    >> sometimes stereo, depending on what it is. I frequently
    >> videotape live music performances and then strip the audio
    >> track out of Premiere and use CoolEdit/Audition to down-
    >> convert to 44.1K to make audio CDs from.
    >>
    >> We are assuming that Mr. Starsick is *really* seeing AUDIO
    >> "conforming" and not VIDEO. One way to test this hypothesis
    >> is to actually render the audio separately with the menu option.

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:31:04 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
    <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

    >"Jim Gunn" wrote...

    >Not normal in my experience. 99% of the time Premiere does
    >NO "conformation" or "rendering" of audio at all, and 1% of
    >the time it takes a few milliseconds, just long enough for an
    >old human like me to percieve.

    How can you say this? The help file in Premiere Pro plus everything I
    have been reading on this forum and the Premiere Pro forums seems to
    indicate my experience is normal- that audio is conformed each and
    every time by necessity for each and every file that contains audio in
    each and every project in Pro 1.0 and 1.5.

    From the Premere 1.5 help file:
    When you import audio into a project, Adobe Premiere Pro conforms the
    audio, converting it to the current audio sample rate for the project
    at 32-bit quality. Once audio is conformed, no further conversion is
    necessary except when you export to a format that uses audio settings
    that do not match the project settings. Conforming audio affects
    editing performance and project file management in the following
    ways...

    ahhh.. but some mixing/sample rate conversion takes less time than it takes
    to put up the progress bar. Especially for like sample rates and widths.
    Normally I never see any indication of Premiere rendering audio.

    "Jim Gunn" <Jim_Gunn@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:31:04 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
    > <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jim Gunn" wrote...
    >

    >>Not normal in my experience. 99% of the time Premiere does
    >>NO "conformation" or "rendering" of audio at all, and 1% of
    >>the time it takes a few milliseconds, just long enough for an
    >>old human like me to percieve.
    >
    > How can you say this? The help file in Premiere Pro plus everything I
    > have been reading on this forum and the Premiere Pro forums seems to
    > indicate my experience is normal- that audio is conformed each and
    > every time by necessity for each and every file that contains audio in
    > each and every project in Pro 1.0 and 1.5.
    >
    > From the Premere 1.5 help file:
    > When you import audio into a project, Adobe Premiere Pro conforms the
    > audio, converting it to the current audio sample rate for the project
    > at 32-bit quality. Once audio is conformed, no further conversion is
    > necessary except when you export to a format that uses audio settings
    > that do not match the project settings. Conforming audio affects
    > editing performance and project file management in the following
    > ways...

    > How can you say this? The help file in Premiere Pro plus everything I
    > have been reading on this forum and the Premiere Pro forums seems to
    > indicate my experience is normal- that audio is conformed each and
    > every time by necessity for each and every file that contains audio in
    > each and every project in Pro 1.0 and 1.5.

    Maybe annother good reason to avoid "Pro"? I have been using
    Premiere since 5.0 and currently using 6.5. I have edited >100
    hours of video on several different computer systems with Premiere.

    I repeat that it is so rare that I have ever seen audio rendering that
    I truly can't remember when the last time was.

    Pro rocks. Faster than any version so far
    >> How can you say this? The help file in Premiere Pro plus everything I
    >> have been reading on this forum and the Premiere Pro forums seems to
    >> indicate my experience is normal- that audio is conformed each and
    >> every time by necessity for each and every file that contains audio in
    >> each and every project in Pro 1.0 and 1.5.
    >
    > Maybe annother good reason to avoid "Pro"? I have been using
    > Premiere since 5.0 and currently using 6.5. I have edited >100
    > hours of video on several different computer systems with Premiere.
    >
    > I repeat that it is so rare that I have ever seen audio rendering that
    > I truly can't remember when the last time was.

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Audio Graphics