Corp. e-mail remote access trouble

July 9, 2004 2:45:02 PM

Connecting through VPN, a user tries to open Outlook. Gets error "Network problems prevent connection to Exchange server." User clicks OK, gets "Could not complete action," clicks OK. Gets the general tab to check exchange information, everything is correct (tried IP instead of server name here, result is the same). Clicks OK, gets "Could not open folders, do you want to open default system folders?"

I can see that the user is connected to the VPN concentrator. User can ping server. User gets auth. request to connect to servers.

Any ideas what these "Network Problems" might be?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 7:10:21 AM

AMHJohansson wrote:
> Connecting through VPN, a user tries to open Outlook. Gets error
> "Network problems prevent connection to Exchange server." User
> clicks OK, gets "Could not complete action," clicks OK. Gets the
> general tab to check exchange information, everything is correct
> (tried IP instead of server name here, result is the same). Clicks
> OK, gets "Could not open folders, do you want to open default system
> folders?"
>
> I can see that the user is connected to the VPN concentrator. User
> can ping server. User gets auth. request to connect to servers.
>
> Any ideas what these "Network Problems" might be?

Is there a stateful firewall on the VPN client blocking port 135.. (or maybe
it was 139?) - if not using RPC over HTTP, this port (whichever it was -
sorry, it's late) must be opened to send the data to Outlook.

--
<- Shenan ->
July 12, 2004 3:47:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

The stateful firewall for the VPN client is off. We're using Cisco VPN Client 4.0.

Any other ideas?
!