Sign in with
Your question

PC runs slow after about 4 hours

Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2011 10:08:31 AM

I bought a new PC some time ago now and i've had this problem since i started using it. When i first noticed i informed the guy who built it and it was taken in and he left the PC on all night and checked the hardware and didn't find any faults with the hardware he also didn't experience this slowness that i do. Someone also did a brief look through stuff on the PC and he was clueless too, the only help i got was that my internet connection might have something to do with it.

So before i tell you the problem, let me just say my PC is fine when i start it up, it only becomes slow after some hours. Restarting does not fix the problem but leaving it off (like overnight) does.

So the problem is that after around 4 hours or so my pc slows down. Slows down as in - if i move my mouse around while i load a website it stutters/lags around. This also effects audio, the audio will distort when loading websites. I don't really do much else on the PC except play a couple of games (they aren't demanding on the pc at all). So it may seem just like it's connected to loading websites but i have noticed if i try moving around images in image editing programs that stutters around too.

Another thing i've noticed is these things don't use much cpu when i boot up the pc but around the time it starts slowing down it takes up a lot more cpu usage for some reason.

Is it possbile for an internet connection to cause a pc to slow down? Any ideas on this would be very welcome...

System Info -

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3326MB RAM
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

More about : runs slow hours

a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2011 12:52:43 PM

Hi a name and welcome to Tom's forum.

Can your check your temps? Download and use HWMonitor to know that, and not, the Internet connection can't slow down your rig.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2011 3:05:32 AM

Your HWInfo report looks normal for an idle state. What does it look like when you're pushing the system hard - like during a gaming session?

Have you thought about running your PC not connected to the internet and see if you get that same slow down at the 4hour point? Does it still get the slows?

There's not a 'good reason' for the system to slow down due to the internet connection unless you yourself know you're having a heavy internet session with the system doing a lot of compute intensive stuff. But it could happen for some 'bad reasons'.
Your AV is up-to-date and you've done some scans while in Safe Mode?

Next time you get the 'slows' get us a screenshot of the Task Manager process list.
Sort the list by what is taking up the most CPU cycles. Click once or twice in the CPU column header to have the higher % items at the top.

January 7, 2011 6:41:59 PM

It looks pretty much identical to what i posted - http://img718.imageshack.us/f/hwmonitor2.jpg/ (Taken while playing GuildWars & Surfing and PC had slowed down).

Took a shot when i first turned on my PC and it's pretty similar - http://img826.imageshack.us/f/hwmonitor1.jpg/

I tried a few days ago leaving the PC on disconnected all day. When i tested it there was no slowness but i had nothing running on it while it was on.

I can try a test with it connected.

And it's not exactly 4 hours, just what it seems like. It doesn't happen at a specific time.

I have scanned and it didn't pick up anything malicious, not in safe mode though. Why safe mode?

Screen of Task Manager - http://img210.imageshack.us/f/taskmanagerp.jpg/

I haven't done anything i wasn't already doing on my old PC and i never had this stuttering problem...
January 11, 2011 3:21:49 AM

Left my pc on today doing nothing like last time but connected to the internet and when i tested it this time i had the stuttering/distortion problem.
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2011 6:47:56 AM

Does this about sum it up?
Connected to the internet = stuttering/distortion problem?
Not Connected to the internet = no stuttering/distortion problem?
Quote:
I tried a few days ago leaving the PC on disconnected all day. When i tested it there was no slowness but i had nothing running on it while it was on.
Run a movie/video. Play an offline game. Any stuttering/distortion problems over time while you're offline and using your computer?
January 11, 2011 9:35:49 AM

I had very bad slow down issues when using a usb modem/router rather than conecting via ethernet or wirelless. Most people dont conect via usb these days, but its soemthing worth noting if you are conecting that way?
January 14, 2011 4:25:45 PM

WR2 said:
Does this about sum it up?
Connected to the internet = stuttering/distortion problem?
Not Connected to the internet = no stuttering/distortion problem?
Quote:
Run a movie/video. Play an offline game. Any stuttering/distortion problems over time while you're offline and using your computer?

Well from the test i did yeh. I'm never offline though 'cause the pc automatically connects and i use the internet all the time i use the pc, all my games are online.

And i don't think it has anything to do with games, i mean i even get this slow down when i only surf websites...

And Tizz the modem is connected with ethernet.

Well, i guess i will just change internet providers and see if that changes anything. I was meaning to a while back because the service i'm getting while fine most of the time can randomly disconnect (very annoying..).

!