When to use Huffyuv, Capture, iuVCR, Vegas, etc....

dok

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002

Hi everyone! I'm back to this DVD project of mine after about a year
hiatus tending life and family. So I have to re-learn all I've
forgotten and then some. I'm starting to get all mixed up on a few
things that I hope you can straighten out for me. I've gone thru all
the NGs, dvdrhelp, afonic, doom9, etc. It's just that my brain is
going to mush and need just a little clarity to part the clouds of
confusion.

Here's what I'm using so far: WinXP, 1.x Athlon, 500+ MB RAM, Sony
DCR-TRV38, firewire to a nameless unknown card (given to me); lots of
HD space; capture via Vegas 5 or iuVCR or VirtualVCR (vVCR has been
giving me trouble, so I've been using iuVCR). Would like to use Vegas
5 for editing but am open to suggestions; will try DVDlab for
authoring.

1. When to use Huffyuv? I know I should use it when going analogue
via camcorder into PC captured with iuVCR , but how about video shot
on the miniDV camera to the PC via iuVCR? Or, is it OK just to use
the default DV compressor Vegas 5 uses? I would like to learn to work
on the vid with avisynth someday…

2. What settings do I have to change in XP to allow compression with
Huffyuv? (I know they are based on VFW vs. XP's WDM or something like
that).

3. When I was able to capture from DV camcorder to PC using Huffyuv
with iuVCR, Vegas got sound but no vid, and after some late night
fiddling now I vid vid but no sound in Vegas (PCM setting). WMP
plays the AVI vid OK but again no sound. What's going on??

4. When going analogue VCR to PC, should I copy to miniDV tape first
and then capture to PC or try to run through the camera and capture
directly to PC with the Vegas or iuVCR/Huffyuv or other?

5. Is there somewhere in Vegas 5 that allows me to choose which gives
me a choice of compression during capture?

6. Why is this such a PITA???? Yeah I know, like anything else, once
you do it a few times you get the hang of it. I just want to learn it
right the first time.

Pantload of questions, but I do appreciate any help.

Lets clear up a few things. When you capture from DV tape to your computer
through a Firewire card with Vegas and other editing programs, there is no
compression. There doesn't need to be. You already compressed the video
when you shot it on your DV camera. All DV and D8 cameras compress the
video (5:1 on consumer models) before they record to tape. The compression
is already done, you just need to copy that compressed video to your hard
drive. That's what you're doing when you transfer from DV with firewire to
your computer. Just use Vegas to capture from your DV camera and you're all
set. Once you've edited your footage, you can THEN compress it further,
depending on what you want to do with it. (DVD, Web, Divx, etc.)

As far as capturing from a VCR, you need to go straight through your camera
into firewire. This will produce the same compressed DV video as if you
went from DV tape to your computer. All of the above applies. You don't
need Huffyuv, or any other tool/capturing method as long as you can pass the
video through your camera LIVE and straight to your hard drive. That's the
best way by far. If your camera has pass-through, you never have to EVER
worry about how to capture video. Just use your Vegas capture tool and
that's it. Vegas is your best bet. Most people find that it is as good as,
or better than anything out there.

Sanman

"Dok" <harleydok@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone! I'm back to this DVD project of mine after about a year
> hiatus tending life and family. So I have to re-learn all I've
> forgotten and then some. I'm starting to get all mixed up on a few
> things that I hope you can straighten out for me. I've gone thru all
> the NGs, dvdrhelp, afonic, doom9, etc. It's just that my brain is
> going to mush and need just a little clarity to part the clouds of
> confusion.
>
> Here's what I'm using so far: WinXP, 1.x Athlon, 500+ MB RAM, Sony
> DCR-TRV38, firewire to a nameless unknown card (given to me); lots of
> HD space; capture via Vegas 5 or iuVCR or VirtualVCR (vVCR has been
> giving me trouble, so I've been using iuVCR). Would like to use Vegas
> 5 for editing but am open to suggestions; will try DVDlab for
> authoring.
>
> 1. When to use Huffyuv? I know I should use it when going analogue
> via camcorder into PC captured with iuVCR , but how about video shot
> on the miniDV camera to the PC via iuVCR? Or, is it OK just to use
> the default DV compressor Vegas 5 uses? I would like to learn to work
> on the vid with avisynth someday.
>
> 2. What settings do I have to change in XP to allow compression with
> Huffyuv? (I know they are based on VFW vs. XP's WDM or something like
> that).
>
> 3. When I was able to capture from DV camcorder to PC using Huffyuv
> with iuVCR, Vegas got sound but no vid, and after some late night
> fiddling now I vid vid but no sound in Vegas (PCM setting). WMP
> plays the AVI vid OK but again no sound. What's going on??
>
> 4. When going analogue VCR to PC, should I copy to miniDV tape first
> and then capture to PC or try to run through the camera and capture
> directly to PC with the Vegas or iuVCR/Huffyuv or other?
>
> 5. Is there somewhere in Vegas 5 that allows me to choose which gives
> me a choice of compression during capture?
>
> 6. Why is this such a PITA???? Yeah I know, like anything else, once
> you do it a few times you get the hang of it. I just want to learn it
> right the first time.
>
> Pantload of questions, but I do appreciate any help.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

I use vegas also (along with a Dell XPS) and I was wondering what is
the best way to get it back to a VHS tape? Also after I burn a DVD -R
with Nero there seems to be occational pauses in the video any
suggestions?

Jonathan