World Series Final Game not fiitting onto DVD

I captured the final game of the World Series from digital cable TV onto DV.
I used SP for the 1st inning, and then decided that I should switch to LP,
as I figured I wouldn't be able to fit everything onto a DVD.

After I transferred the 2 DV's onto the hard drive, I noticed that my first
DV (properties check on PC) listed it as 3.04G and my second listed it as
3.29G. Obviously, this is more than a 4.7G DVD will take. What did I do
wrong? I was under the assumption that if the digital video was shot in
LP, it would accomodate 3 hours of video.

--
Doug

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:17:21 -0500, "Doug Doebbert"
<ddoebbert@mn.rr.com> wrote:

>I captured the final game of the World Series from digital cable TV onto DV.
>I used SP for the 1st inning, and then decided that I should switch to LP,
>as I figured I wouldn't be able to fit everything onto a DVD.
>
>After I transferred the 2 DV's onto the hard drive, I noticed that my first
>DV (properties check on PC) listed it as 3.04G and my second listed it as
>3.29G. Obviously, this is more than a 4.7G DVD will take. What did I do
>wrong? I was under the assumption that if the digital video was shot in
>LP, it would accomodate 3 hours of video.

You have to render the DV footage to MPEG2 format.
Considering that 4 hours of DV footage takes up a lot more than 6.34
GB, I'd say whatever program you're using is already compressing it as
you transfer to the hard drive. May I ask what software you're using
to capture the footage and make the DVD?

Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!

<ddoebbert@mn.rr.com> wrote:

>I captured the final game of the World Series from digital cable TV onto DV.
>I used SP for the 1st inning, and then decided that I should switch to LP,
>as I figured I wouldn't be able to fit everything onto a DVD.
>
>After I transferred the 2 DV's onto the hard drive, I noticed that my first
>DV (properties check on PC) listed it as 3.04G and my second listed it as
>3.29G. Obviously, this is more than a 4.7G DVD will take. What did I do
>wrong? I was under the assumption that if the digital video was shot in
>LP, it would accomodate 3 hours of video.

Try running it through DVD Shrink and see if that will fit it on to
one disk... DVD Shrink is free and works - must have tool ...

Glenn M

>On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:17:21 -0500, "Doug Doebbert"
><ddoebbert@mn.rr.com> wrote:

>I was under the assumption that if the digital video was shot in
>LP, it would accomodate 3 hours of video.

DV is always the same bitrate (25 Mbps), even in LP mode (which just
packs the data more closely on the tape).

"Neil Nadelman" <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:17:21 -0500, "Doug Doebbert"
> <ddoebbert@mn.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I captured the final game of the World Series from digital cable TV onto
>>DV.
>>I used SP for the 1st inning, and then decided that I should switch to LP,
>>as I figured I wouldn't be able to fit everything onto a DVD.
>>
>>After I transferred the 2 DV's onto the hard drive, I noticed that my
>>first
>>DV (properties check on PC) listed it as 3.04G and my second listed it as
>>3.29G. Obviously, this is more than a 4.7G DVD will take. What did I do
>>wrong? I was under the assumption that if the digital video was shot in
>>LP, it would accomodate 3 hours of video.
>
> You have to render the DV footage to MPEG2 format.
> Considering that 4 hours of DV footage takes up a lot more than 6.34
> GB, I'd say whatever program you're using is already compressing it as
> you transfer to the hard drive. May I ask what software you're using
> to capture the footage and make the DVD?

> Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
> I have no fears in life,
> for I have already survived Theta-G!

I used Show Biz Software to capture the DV.