IBM R31 Laptop Windows XP Freeze on Remote Startup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Problem: Windows XP freezes on remote startup (i.e., when disconnected
from corporate LAN) after log in and desktop appears, but before
system tray icons appear. When connected to corporate LAN in the
office, no problems using the laptop.

Hardware: IBM Thinkpad R31 Laptop
Operating System: Windows XP

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
3 answers Last reply
More about laptop windows freeze remote startup
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    zac wrote:

    > Problem: Windows XP freezes on remote startup (i.e., when disconnected
    > from corporate LAN) after log in and desktop appears, but before
    > system tray icons appear. When connected to corporate LAN in the
    > office, no problems using the laptop.
    >
    > Hardware: IBM Thinkpad R31 Laptop
    > Operating System: Windows XP
    >
    > Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!

    Obviously you are still logging in on the domain account and the
    computer is looking for the domain with which to connect. Of course it
    will fail, because you aren't on the corporate network at home. You
    need to log in on the local account.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks for your response, Malke.

    There is some additional information that I should have provided
    previously. I have had this laptop for several months now and have
    been able to log on to the laptop when it was disconnected from the
    LAN. For some reason, I am no longer able to do this. I am using the
    same log in procedure that I used to use before -- it is just that I
    am now having this "freeze" issue.

    Any other ideas?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    zac wrote:

    > Thanks for your response, Malke.
    >
    > There is some additional information that I should have provided
    > previously. I have had this laptop for several months now and have
    > been able to log on to the laptop when it was disconnected from the
    > LAN. For some reason, I am no longer able to do this. I am using the
    > same log in procedure that I used to use before -- it is just that I
    > am now having this "freeze" issue.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    Yes, it would have been better to have that information before. What
    changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't? What
    does a scan with a current av using updated definitions show? Does this
    happen on a different user account? In Safe Mode? You see, there really
    isn't any way to troubleshoot this without a lot more information
    and/or without seeing the machine. If you can provide a lot more
    information, great - repost and I'll do my best to make suggestions.
    Otherwise, take the machine to a good local repair person and have them
    look at it. It's a new laptop, so I wouldn't expect this to be
    hardware-related, but that's also a guess on my part.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers