Any good new PocketPCs planned soon?

May 23, 2004 4:12:04 PM

Hi there

As a bit of a geek, I've been a little disappointed by how slowly
PocketPCs have been progressing.

In recent years, we really upped the stability, useability and
function. We got colour screens, and MP3 playing.

But recently the only development seems to be Bluetooth and Wifi, and
I couldn't care less about those. It seems the pace of development has
really slowed down.

I've got an Ipaq 1910 and can't really see anything coming along that
would be worth upgrading for. Can anyone tell me I'm wrong?

More about : good pocketpcs planned

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 8:44:16 PM

Take a look at www.brighthand.com and look for the article on the new Ipaqs.
You will find some interesting things there...

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"CM" <chris.geller@angelfire.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> As a bit of a geek, I've been a little disappointed by how slowly
> PocketPCs have been progressing.
>
> In recent years, we really upped the stability, useability and
> function. We got colour screens, and MP3 playing.
>
> But recently the only development seems to be Bluetooth and Wifi, and
> I couldn't care less about those. It seems the pace of development has
> really slowed down.
>
> I've got an Ipaq 1910 and can't really see anything coming along that
> would be worth upgrading for. Can anyone tell me I'm wrong?
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 9:45:02 PM

On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:44:16 +0200, "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile
Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote:

>Take a look at www.brighthand.com and look for the article on the new Ipaqs.
>You will find some interesting things there...

Thanks very much, that was very interesting to read! I still can't say
I'm all that excited though.......I see there's a new Dell out with a
624Mhz processor, but to be honest, my Ipaq 1910 does everything I
need at a fine speed.

I guess one of the features I'd really like to see improved would be
the memory, but even this top of the line Dell has 64MB, same as my
Ipaq (well, pretty much). Sigh.

Maybe I'll think of something else to waste money on. Suggestions?
May 24, 2004 1:23:58 AM

> On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:44:16 +0200, "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile
> Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote:
>
> >Take a look at www.brighthand.com and look for the article on the new
Ipaqs.
> >You will find some interesting things there...
>
> Thanks very much, that was very interesting to read! I still can't say
> I'm all that excited though.......I see there's a new Dell out with a
> 624Mhz processor, but to be honest, my Ipaq 1910 does everything I
> need at a fine speed.
>
> I guess one of the features I'd really like to see improved would be
> the memory, but even this top of the line Dell has 64MB, same as my
> Ipaq (well, pretty much). Sigh.
>
> Maybe I'll think of something else to waste money on. Suggestions?

Might I suggest a Tablet PC? My plan, once I pick-up one of these bad boys,
will be to sync my iPaq to the Tablet PC, and use the tablet for most of my
serious productivity (i.e. work, project planning, writing, email and
internet access) and use the iPaq for more portable access (i.e. going
shopping, out to eat, the ballgame, etc.). For me it's the perfect marriage
that gives you the best of both worlds.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:40:34 PM

Well, I have an iMate/XDA2/MDA2 (whatever name you prefer to call it), and
it comes with included telephone, Bluetooth and 128MB memory.

The point is that the 1910 and a device such as mine are completely
different levels of devices. The 1910 is a "very entry-point" device, and
you really shouldn't expect much innovation in there. It would be like a
PalmV user waiting for big innovations in his line (or level) of device.
Usually the innovations come in the higher levels, and only many year later,
when they are not new or expensive anymore, they arrive to the entry level
devices.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"CM" <chris.geller@angelfire.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:44:16 +0200, "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile
> Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote:
>
> >Take a look at www.brighthand.com and look for the article on the new
Ipaqs.
> >You will find some interesting things there...
>
> Thanks very much, that was very interesting to read! I still can't say
> I'm all that excited though.......I see there's a new Dell out with a
> 624Mhz processor, but to be honest, my Ipaq 1910 does everything I
> need at a fine speed.
>
> I guess one of the features I'd really like to see improved would be
> the memory, but even this top of the line Dell has 64MB, same as my
> Ipaq (well, pretty much). Sigh.
>
> Maybe I'll think of something else to waste money on. Suggestions?
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 9:00:49 PM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:40:34 +0200, "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile
Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote:

>Well, I have an iMate/XDA2/MDA2 (whatever name you prefer to call it), and
>it comes with included telephone, Bluetooth and 128MB memory.
>
>The point is that the 1910 and a device such as mine are completely
>different levels of devices. The 1910 is a "very entry-point" device, and
>you really shouldn't expect much innovation in there. It would be like a
>PalmV user waiting for big innovations in his line (or level) of device.
>Usually the innovations come in the higher levels, and only many year later,
>when they are not new or expensive anymore, they arrive to the entry level
>devices.

I'm not sure that's really true! I mean, the XDA2 is a terrific piece
of kit, but I can't really see how you can say the 1910 is 'very
entry-point'. sure the XDA includes Bluetooth, a telephone, and more
memory..(and a camera), but I can't really see the benefits of those
bells and whistles. You can't say the XDA2 is 'high-end', just because
of the extra stuff. I'd say it's a niche product.

At the end of the day, if you're not interested in making calls on
your PDA (and nothing but the Treo 600 remotely tempts me there,
because of size issues), or taking pictures with a 0.3megapixel
camera, or using Bluetooth peripherals (which I previously said I
wasn't), what's the difference?! 128MB compared to 64MB does not a
highend product make! I'm not aware of any software you'd run that I
couldn't.

It's like taking a food processor, supergluing some gold and diamonds
onto it, and calling it 'high-end'. Sure, it's pricier, but doesn't do
anything much more that anyone would care about.

What I was hoping for was something that would allow me to do
genuinely useful and new, that I couldn't do before. A new killer
application.

If such a new feature doesn't exist, and I'm not sure it does, then I
have absolutely no reason to upgrade my 'very entry level' 1910 for
the foreseeable future, Bluetooth accessories or not.

Which would be a shame. D'you see what I mean?
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 9:00:50 PM

while I agree with your point about your device being suited for your needs,
most people would agree with the 1900 series being basic "entry-level"
devices. but if it does all you need then great! you asked about new and
great things coming down the road and then complained when some very nice
people tried to tell you that your missing out on some new and great things
already here. it's all a matter of taste, preferences, and compromise
between price size and functionality. that's why they make many different
models. whets good for you may be too stripped down for others.
It all depends on what you want to do.

"What I was hoping for was something that would allow me to do
genuinely useful and new, that I couldn't do before. A new killer
application."
like what ? there is so much available now that you are truly not
interested in , I can only wonder what you really are looking for ?

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:40:34 +0200, "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile
Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote:

>Well, I have an iMate/XDA2/MDA2 (whatever name you prefer to call it), and
>it comes with included telephone, Bluetooth and 128MB memory.
>
>The point is that the 1910 and a device such as mine are completely
>different levels of devices. The 1910 is a "very entry-point" device, and
>you really shouldn't expect much innovation in there. It would be like a
>PalmV user waiting for big innovations in his line (or level) of device.
>Usually the innovations come in the higher levels, and only many year
later,
>when they are not new or expensive anymore, they arrive to the entry level
>devices.

I'm not sure that's really true! I mean, the XDA2 is a terrific piece
of kit, but I can't really see how you can say the 1910 is 'very
entry-point'. sure the XDA includes Bluetooth, a telephone, and more
memory..(and a camera), but I can't really see the benefits of those
bells and whistles. You can't say the XDA2 is 'high-end', just because
of the extra stuff. I'd say it's a niche product.

At the end of the day, if you're not interested in making calls on
your PDA (and nothing but the Treo 600 remotely tempts me there,
because of size issues), or taking pictures with a 0.3megapixel
camera, or using Bluetooth peripherals (which I previously said I
wasn't), what's the difference?! 128MB compared to 64MB does not a
highend product make! I'm not aware of any software you'd run that I
couldn't.

It's like taking a food processor, supergluing some gold and diamonds
onto it, and calling it 'high-end'. Sure, it's pricier, but doesn't do
anything much more that anyone would care about.

What I was hoping for was something that would allow me to do
genuinely useful and new, that I couldn't do before. A new killer
application.

If such a new feature doesn't exist, and I'm not sure it does, then I
have absolutely no reason to upgrade my 'very entry level' 1910 for
the foreseeable future, Bluetooth accessories or not.

Which would be a shame. D'you see what I mean?
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 10:00:12 PM

On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:23:58 GMT, "James A. Cathcart"
<jcthcrt@comcast.net> wrote:

>"CM" <chris.geller@angelfire.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:44:16 +0200, "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile
>> Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Take a look at www.brighthand.com and look for the article on the new
>Ipaqs.
>> >You will find some interesting things there...
>>
>> Thanks very much, that was very interesting to read! I still can't say
>> I'm all that excited though.......I see there's a new Dell out with a
>> 624Mhz processor, but to be honest, my Ipaq 1910 does everything I
>> need at a fine speed.
>>
>> I guess one of the features I'd really like to see improved would be
>> the memory, but even this top of the line Dell has 64MB, same as my
>> Ipaq (well, pretty much). Sigh.
>>
>> Maybe I'll think of something else to waste money on. Suggestions?
>
>Might I suggest a Tablet PC? My plan, once I pick-up one of these bad boys,
>will be to sync my iPaq to the Tablet PC, and use the tablet for most of my
>serious productivity (i.e. work, project planning, writing, email and
>internet access) and use the iPaq for more portable access (i.e. going
>shopping, out to eat, the ballgame, etc.). For me it's the perfect marriage
>that gives you the best of both worlds.

way too big for me, but thansks for the suggestion
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:08:15 AM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:31:56 -0600, "Knott Me"
<knott_me@SPAMSUX.hotmail.com> wrote:

>while I agree with your point about your device being suited for your needs,
>most people would agree with the 1900 series being basic "entry-level"
>devices. but if it does all you need then great! you asked about new and
>great things coming down the road and then complained when some very nice
>people tried to tell you that your missing out on some new and great things
>already here. it's all a matter of taste, preferences, and compromise
>between price size and functionality. that's why they make many different
>models. whets good for you may be too stripped down for others.
>It all depends on what you want to do.
>
>"What I was hoping for was something that would allow me to do
>genuinely useful and new, that I couldn't do before. A new killer
>application."
>like what ? there is so much available now that you are truly not
>interested in , I can only wonder what you really are looking for ?

Hey, now that's not very helpful! oh, and please don't top-post.

I think saying I "complained" isn't a very nice tone to use,
unnecessarily so, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

As you say, it's all a matter of taste, which what I was getting at,
when I talk about the XDA2 being niche. Personally though, I think
they make all the models that they do to swamp the market, and drive
out smaller competitors. In doing this HP have practically made the
word 'ipaq' synonymous with 'Pocketpc', but that's another issue.

It was nice to get the replies that I did, but I made the point in my
first point that I'm not excited by Bluetooth or WiFi, so getting
help me so much.

As for saying "like what ? there is so much available now that you
are truly not interested in , I can only wonder what you really are
looking for ?", well, that's not very helpful is it?

I think there's a larger issue here. There's been a lot of concern
around these and other fora that sales in PDAs are falling, that other
products are exciting the geeks. And I think that's fair enough.

In the past year, I've upgraded my PC, and I've upgraded my phone,
because there have been advances that I've wanted.

But the answer that you seem to be giving me is that there isn't a
single advance to interest me even on the horizon, never mind that
been released since I bought the 1910. I don't think this industry can
survive if it's this stagnant :(
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:08:16 AM

"CM" <chris.geller@angelfire.com> wrote in message
news:p do4b0db85f49dvmvrmcjh46qlkou8ikvj@4ax.com...
On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:31:56 -0600, "Knott Me"
<knott_me@SPAMSUX.hotmail.com> wrote:

>while I agree with your point about your device being suited for your
needs,
>most people would agree with the 1900 series being basic "entry-level"
>devices. but if it does all you need then great! you asked about new and
>great things coming down the road and then complained when some very nice
>people tried to tell you that your missing out on some new and great things
>already here. it's all a matter of taste, preferences, and compromise
>between price size and functionality. that's why they make many different
>models. whets good for you may be too stripped down for others.
>It all depends on what you want to do.
>
>"What I was hoping for was something that would allow me to do
>genuinely useful and new, that I couldn't do before. A new killer
>application."
>like what ? there is so much available now that you are truly not
>interested in , I can only wonder what you really are looking for ?

Hey, now that's not very helpful! oh, and please don't top-post.

I think saying I "complained" isn't a very nice tone to use,
unnecessarily so, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

As you say, it's all a matter of taste, which what I was getting at,
when I talk about the XDA2 being niche. Personally though, I think
they make all the models that they do to swamp the market, and drive
out smaller competitors. In doing this HP have practically made the
word 'ipaq' synonymous with 'Pocketpc', but that's another issue.

It was nice to get the replies that I did, but I made the point in my
first point that I'm not excited by Bluetooth or WiFi, so getting
help me so much.

As for saying "like what ? there is so much available now that you
are truly not interested in , I can only wonder what you really are
looking for ?", well, that's not very helpful is it?

I think there's a larger issue here. There's been a lot of concern
around these and other fora that sales in PDAs are falling, that other
products are exciting the geeks. And I think that's fair enough.

In the past year, I've upgraded my PC, and I've upgraded my phone,
because there have been advances that I've wanted.

But the answer that you seem to be giving me is that there isn't a
single advance to interest me even on the horizon, never mind that
been released since I bought the 1910. I don't think this industry can
survive if it's this stagnant :(

Different strokes... I wasn't trying to be rude, I really just didn't
understand what new and great kind of things you were looking for down the
road, when there is so much available now that you're 1900 can't do, and
that you obviously don't feel a need for. maybe if you were more specific
about what kind of earth shattering new functionality you were looking for
someone might be able to give a clearer answer. as for the "top posting"..
I guess that's a discussion for another day. I hate bottom posting and
having to "search" through an entire thread to find a reply" but as I
said... another day.
May 25, 2004 3:10:33 AM

CM wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:44:16 +0200, "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile
> Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote:
>

>>Take a look at www.brighthand.com and look for the article on the new Ipaqs.
>>You will find some interesting things there...
>

> Thanks very much, that was very interesting to read! I still can't say
> I'm all that excited though.......I see there's a new Dell out with a
> 624Mhz processor, but to be honest, my Ipaq 1910 does everything I
> need at a fine speed.

This is why they arn't progressing at any great speed. There's no market
for a pocket super computer. A 400mhz chip is excess for what most
people use their PDAs for. I think battery development must speed up and
costs of batterys come down before we start seeing lots of PDAs with
iPod style hard disks.

Marc
May 25, 2004 3:16:54 AM

Knott Me wrote:
> Different strokes... I wasn't trying to be rude, I really just didn't
> understand what new and great kind of things you were looking for down the
> road, when there is so much available now that you're 1900 can't do, and
> that you obviously don't feel a need for. maybe if you were more specific
> about what kind of earth shattering new functionality you were looking for
> someone might be able to give a clearer answer. as for the "top posting"..
> I guess that's a discussion for another day. I hate bottom posting and
> having to "search" through an entire thread to find a reply" but as I
> said... another day.

Fair point. if you ask a question, at least accept the answer. The fact
is, like with Mobile phones - the average basic PDA does everything most
people could ever want. Short of GPS, Cameras and other "bells and
whistles" there aint much else until someone invents it.

Talking about gadgets, i know CF slots can hold CF cards, network cards
and GPS cards - are there any CF camera add-ins for the iPaq range? That
would be really cool!

Marc
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 3:16:55 AM

I make a lot of good use out of my PDA which is an iPAQ 5555 that it really
is a workhorse. I had the dual PC card sleeve from before so something that
I could use it with was a must. I use the Wifi for surfing and e-mail
retreival. I always use one slot of my dual sleeve for CF memory (which is
still somewhat cheaper than SD memory) which holds Tom Tom maps and other
data. I have a Pharos iGPS that goes in the other (also from before) to find
my way when I go someplace unknown. I also havew a Socket wired NIC card (no
WiFI allowed), that I use at work for both (very minimal) surfing, but for
Network troubleshooting. I also have a comm cable to use as a terminal
client with a null modem. Lastly I use a Bluetooth scanner for inventoty
purposes.

My little iPAQ really is a workhorse and I might have been able to do the
same with a lesser machine, but this has the horsepower that an "entry
level" would not. My wife would have no use for anything bus an entry level
(if she could figger out how it worked) I guess you use what you need.

There are CF digital cameras. I had one 'till it broke and did not replace
it as it was kind of low resolution and didn't end up using it much. A
normal digital camera works better for me.

Jim

"Marc" <marcus.no-spam@imarc.co.uk> wrote in message
> Knott Me wrote:
> > Different strokes... I wasn't trying to be rude, I really just didn't
> > understand what new and great kind of things you were looking for down
the
> > road, when there is so much available now that you're 1900 can't do, and
> > that you obviously don't feel a need for. maybe if you were more
specific
> > about what kind of earth shattering new functionality you were looking
for
> > someone might be able to give a clearer answer. as for the "top
posting"..
> > I guess that's a discussion for another day. I hate bottom posting and
> > having to "search" through an entire thread to find a reply" but as I
> > said... another day.
> >

> Fair point. if you ask a question, at least accept the answer. The fact
> is, like with Mobile phones - the average basic PDA does everything most
> people could ever want. Short of GPS, Cameras and other "bells and
> whistles" there aint much else until someone invents it.
>
> Talking about gadgets, i know CF slots can hold CF cards, network cards
> and GPS cards - are there any CF camera add-ins for the iPaq range? That
> would be really cool!
>
> Marc
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 5:35:32 AM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:00:49 +0100, CM <chris.geller@angelfire.com>
wrote:

>I'm not sure that's really true! I mean, the XDA2 is a terrific piece
>of kit, but I can't really see how you can say the 1910 is 'very
>entry-point'. sure the XDA includes Bluetooth, a telephone, and more
>memory..(and a camera), but I can't really see the benefits of those
>bells and whistles. You can't say the XDA2 is 'high-end', just because
>of the extra stuff. I'd say it's a niche product.

I'd say the XDA is high end, since it has all those bells and whistles
that you call extra stuff. The fact that you don't need those, doesn't
make it less high end, it just makes it not the device for you.

>At the end of the day, if you're not interested in making calls on
>your PDA (and nothing but the Treo 600 remotely tempts me there,
>because of size issues), or taking pictures with a 0.3megapixel
>camera, or using Bluetooth peripherals (which I previously said I
>wasn't), what's the difference?!

One more difference is that your 1910 doesn't have a serial port (cost
saving) and the XDA has. So the XDA can accept serial connections as a
keyboard and a GPS mouse.

But I guess in a way you're right. If you take away parts of the
engine of the Vette, and change it's styling, it's still a car, isn't
it?

>It's like taking a food processor, supergluing some gold and diamonds
>onto it, and calling it 'high-end'. Sure, it's pricier, but doesn't do
>anything much more that anyone would care about.

I guess that's where your way of thinking differs from mine. I care
about the extras, and therefore I like the XDAII way better than a
1910. But when it would come to cars, I'd be like you. I'm not a Vette
fan. But I don't tell people they can't call it a sports car, since I
can get a speeding ticket in mine as well. :)

>What I was hoping for was something that would allow me to do
>genuinely useful and new, that I couldn't do before. A new killer
>application.

So you're not looking for new features in your device, but an
application? What about GPS navigation combined with GPRS connected
traffic information so your Pocket PC can plan your route around
traffic jams? TomTom Navigator 3 will be able to do so
(http://www.tomtom.com).

>Which would be a shame. D'you see what I mean?

BTW: if you like the Treo (which you said you did), Google on the BenQ
P50. It's a Pocket PC Phone Edition, but very similar in size to a
Treo. And you'll probably be able to run TomTom Navigator 3 on it. ;)

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:55:21 -0600, "Knott Me"
> [...]

>because there have been advances that I've wanted.
>
>But the answer that you seem to be giving me is that there isn't a
>single advance to interest me even on the horizon, never mind that
>been released since I bought the 1910. I don't think this industry can
>survive if it's this stagnant :(
>
>Different strokes... I wasn't trying to be rude, I really just didn't
>understand what new and great kind of things you were looking for down the
>road, when there is so much available now that you're 1900 can't do, and
>that you obviously don't feel a need for. maybe if you were more specific
>about what kind of earth shattering new functionality you were looking for
>someone might be able to give a clearer answer. as for the "top posting"..
>I guess that's a discussion for another day. I hate bottom posting and
>having to "search" through an entire thread to find a reply" but as I

ye gods, you all get crabby on this newsgroup *very* quickly. Perhaps
of interest to you, I posted exactly the same question on
PocketPCthoughts, at the same time:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=...

because of the non-answers I've had on microsoft.public.pocketpc in
the past. And I didn't get anyone accusing me of "complaining", or
asking me to be more specific about something which was clearly a
conversation starting point.

In fact, I got welcomed to the fora. How nice! I wonder what the
problem is on this newsgroup. I think I might have some idea.
May 26, 2004 5:41:36 PM

OK, usually I am a lurk only kind of guy, but I just wanted to give my
impressions/hopes for PDAs. By the way I own a iPaq1945, and really like it
for what I use it for.

Here is a list of features that would cause me to purchase a new iPaq.

- I am sick of carrying around my cellphone (a Sony Ericsson T68i that I
also love), so I want to be able to make phone calls on my iPaq via GSM (I'm
an American living in the Philippines so GSM is the thing here). Then I
could toss my cellphone (boo hoo :-)) and just carry my iPaq around. Oh ya,
and I want to text with the iPaq too. I should be able to just plug in my
GSM sim card and have the ipaq be my cellphone also.
- But I dont want to hold the PDA up to my ear. It either belongs in my
pocket/backpack/beltcase or in my hand, not holding it up to my ear. I look
foolish enough as it is. So, in comes bluetooth. I want to use a
(reasonably priced) bluetooth headset. Hence the need for bluetooth. And
of course bluetooth should also be used for synchronizing stuff with my PC -
wires are evil.
- I want to be able to walk into a hotspot location and not have to heft a
laptop up onto the table. i should be able to browse, check email, and
possibly run some client software that interacts with a remote server to run
my business. And I also want faster Wifi on my PDA, at least .11g. With
WPA security. WEP is weak at best.
- Or even better use GPRS instead of Wifi so I dont have to find a hotspot.
- Batteries should last longer, and be cheaper to replace.

- way way way at the bottom of my list is a 4Ghz processor with
hyperthreading (or maybe dual processors? :-)) personal supercomputer so the
few games I have on my pda will run faster.

the PDA is all about mobile connectivity to information, and has very little
to do with processor speed IMHO.

The big race to watch is to see who gets there first, the phone companies
building Smartphones, or the PDA companies that include phone functionality
in the PDA.

My money is on the PDA companies, I'm guessing its easier going that
direction than the other....

Just my P1 (1 PhP, thats about 2.2 cents US :-))

Joe

!