How do I burn a movie dvd?

I am trying to make a duplicate of a home movie I created and burned
to dvd a few months ago. I want the duplicate to play in a set top dvd
player (I think that's what you say, i.e. on my tv set). I used DVD
Shrink to first copy it over to a folder on my pc. The folder has 6
files
Video_ts.bup
Video_ts.ifo
Vts_01_0.bup
Vts_01_0.ifo
Vts_01_0.vob
Vts_01_1.vob

The first 5 are very small and the last one is 820 megs (it's a pretty
short movie)

I used Cheetah Burner to burn a dvd+r. I wasted the disc because it
won't play in my dvd player though it will play on my desktop. I think
Cheetah just burns a data dvd which may be the problem. The DVD shrink
help suggests getting Nero. I go to Nero and they have a demo but you
have to download a package of demos which is like 200 megs. I'll do it
if needed, Ill even pay for it if needed but with the size of this
demo I wanted to know first. Also will the demo put some logo on my
dvd, which demos sometimes do.

I also wish to know why I can't seem to do this with my two programs I
have; Windows Movie Maker and Roxio. I can make movies in these by
importing digital video. After editing it authors and burns a dvd
which I can play on my dvd. But I can't seem to figure out how I can
just bring these files into Movie Maker or Roxio to burn another one.
Seems like it would do that.

I also have Sonic My DVD which says it can burn but after wasting one
dvd+r, which is like $3 a pop, I wanted to post this question first.

"natch" <natch@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to make a duplicate of a home movie I created and burned
> to dvd a few months ago. I want the duplicate to play in a set top dvd
> player (I think that's what you say, i.e. on my tv set). I used DVD
> Shrink to first copy it over to a folder on my pc. The folder has 6
> files
> Video_ts.bup
> Video_ts.ifo
> Vts_01_0.bup
> Vts_01_0.ifo
> Vts_01_0.vob
> Vts_01_1.vob
>
> The first 5 are very small and the last one is 820 megs (it's a pretty
> short movie)
>
> I used Cheetah Burner to burn a dvd+r. I wasted the disc because it
> won't play in my dvd player though it will play on my desktop. I think
> Cheetah just burns a data dvd which may be the problem. The DVD shrink
> help suggests getting Nero. I go to Nero and they have a demo but you
> have to download a package of demos which is like 200 megs. I'll do it
> if needed, Ill even pay for it if needed but with the size of this
> demo I wanted to know first. Also will the demo put some logo on my
> dvd, which demos sometimes do.
>
> I also wish to know why I can't seem to do this with my two programs I
> have; Windows Movie Maker and Roxio. I can make movies in these by
> importing digital video. After editing it authors and burns a dvd
> which I can play on my dvd. But I can't seem to figure out how I can
> just bring these files into Movie Maker or Roxio to burn another one.
> Seems like it would do that.
>
> I also have Sonic My DVD which says it can burn but after wasting one
> dvd+r, which is like $3 a pop, I wanted to post this question first.

Grab a free Nero demo here. 28MB
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/1/3-1-1.shtml No logos.
Follow the guide here to burn. http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php .
Try to play it. There's about an 87% chance your set top player will play a
+R disc. If it won't any number of sub $100 players will play burned DVD's.
This is one of the most versitle. http://tinyurl.com/67kya
Once you have Nero, DVD shrink will burn the files right after it encodes
them without having to do a thing.

HTH....

"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:<JVSgd.29905$jo2.29064@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> "natch" <natch@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to make a duplicate of a home movie I created and burned
> > to dvd a few months ago. I want the duplicate to play in a set top dvd
> > player (I think that's what you say, i.e. on my tv set). I used DVD
> > Shrink to first copy it over to a folder on my pc. The folder has 6
> > files
> > Video_ts.bup
> > Video_ts.ifo
> > Vts_01_0.bup
> > Vts_01_0.ifo
> > Vts_01_0.vob
> > Vts_01_1.vob
> >
> > The first 5 are very small and the last one is 820 megs (it's a pretty
> > short movie)
> >
> > I used Cheetah Burner to burn a dvd+r. I wasted the disc because it
> > won't play in my dvd player though it will play on my desktop. I think
> > Cheetah just burns a data dvd which may be the problem. The DVD shrink
> > help suggests getting Nero. I go to Nero and they have a demo but you
> > have to download a package of demos which is like 200 megs. I'll do it
> > if needed, Ill even pay for it if needed but with the size of this
> > demo I wanted to know first. Also will the demo put some logo on my
> > dvd, which demos sometimes do.
> >
> > I also wish to know why I can't seem to do this with my two programs I
> > have; Windows Movie Maker and Roxio. I can make movies in these by
> > importing digital video. After editing it authors and burns a dvd
> > which I can play on my dvd. But I can't seem to figure out how I can
> > just bring these files into Movie Maker or Roxio to burn another one.
> > Seems like it would do that.
> >
> > I also have Sonic My DVD which says it can burn but after wasting one
> > dvd+r, which is like $3 a pop, I wanted to post this question first.
>
> Grab a free Nero demo here. 28MB
> http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/1/3-1-1.shtml No logos.
> Follow the guide here to burn. http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php .
> Try to play it. There's about an 87% chance your set top player will play a
> +R disc. If it won't any number of sub $100 players will play burned DVD's.
> This is one of the most versitle. http://tinyurl.com/67kya
> Once you have Nero, DVD shrink will burn the files right after it encodes
> them without having to do a thing.
>
> HTH....
thanks Ill try

>"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message
>> "natch" <natch@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to make a duplicate of a home movie I created and burned
>> > to dvd a few months ago. I want the duplicate to play in a set top dvd
>> > player (I think that's what you say, i.e. on my tv set). I used DVD
>> > Shrink to first copy it over to a folder on my pc. The folder has 6
>> > files
>> > Video_ts.bup
>> > Video_ts.ifo
>> > Vts_01_0.bup
>> > Vts_01_0.ifo
>> > Vts_01_0.vob
>> > Vts_01_1.vob
>> >
>> > The first 5 are very small and the last one is 820 megs (it's a pretty
>> > short movie)
>> >
>> > I used Cheetah Burner to burn a dvd+r. I wasted the disc because it
>> > won't play in my dvd player though it will play on my desktop. I think
>> > Cheetah just burns a data dvd which may be the problem. The DVD shrink
>> > help suggests getting Nero. I go to Nero and they have a demo but you
>> > have to download a package of demos which is like 200 megs. I'll do it
>> > if needed, Ill even pay for it if needed but with the size of this
>> > demo I wanted to know first. Also will the demo put some logo on my
>> > dvd, which demos sometimes do.
>> >
>> > I also wish to know why I can't seem to do this with my two programs I
>> > have; Windows Movie Maker and Roxio. I can make movies in these by
>> > importing digital video. After editing it authors and burns a dvd
>> > which I can play on my dvd. But I can't seem to figure out how I can
>> > just bring these files into Movie Maker or Roxio to burn another one.
>> > Seems like it would do that.
>> >
>> > I also have Sonic My DVD which says it can burn but after wasting one
>> > dvd+r, which is like $3 a pop, I wanted to post this question first.
>>
>> Grab a free Nero demo here. 28MB
>> http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/1/3-1-1.shtml No logos.
>> Follow the guide here to burn. http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php .
>> Try to play it. There's about an 87% chance your set top player will play
>> +R disc. If it won't any number of sub $100 players will play burned
>DVD's.
>> This is one of the most versitle. http://tinyurl.com/67kya
>> Once you have Nero, DVD shrink will burn the files right after it encodes
>> them without having to do a thing.
>>
>> HTH....
>thanks Ill try

Note that simply copying files will not work...the DVD files MUST be placed in
the correct physical location on the disk or a set-top player won't see them.
That's why you must use the "DVD Movie" option in Nero, or the corresponding
option in all other "movie" capable DVD burning software.

Because of this physical location dependence, it is possible to "hide" data
files inside the "AUDIO_TS" folder on a DVD-movie disk (if you have extra
room). Set top movie players do not use this folder, so it is free storage
space. The data (such as raw, unedited captured video, editing software project
files, etc.) can be accessed on your computer as usual.
webpa

Not exactly true -- the DVD spec does call for them to be
placed "in the right order" on the DVD, HOWEVER, many
set top players can handle it without a problem if they are simply
in the VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD. I just got bitten with
this - many of the newer players handle it without a problem,
but you will find some that insist the files are in the right order
on the dvd or it will not play at all. You can create a folder
called extras or something like that also on the DVD for any
other stuff you want to put on there (I often put full resolution
pictures etc. there if people want them). Yes, using Nero
with the DVD_Video option selected will put things in the
right order.

mikey

webpa@aol.com (WEBPA) wrote in message news:<20041104225645.08096.00000105@mb-m07.aol.com>...
> >"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> >> "natch" <natch@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> >> Grab a free Nero demo here. 28MB
> >> http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/1/3-1-1.shtml No logos.
> >> Follow the guide here to burn. http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php .
> >> Try to play it. There's about an 87% chance your set top player will play
> >> +R disc. If it won't any number of sub $100 players will play burned
> DVD's.
> >> This is one of the most versitle. http://tinyurl.com/67kya
> >> Once you have Nero, DVD shrink will burn the files right after it encodes
> >> them without having to do a thing.
> >>
> >> HTH....
> >thanks Ill try
> >

> Note that simply copying files will not work...the DVD files MUST be placed in
> the correct physical location on the disk or a set-top player won't see them.
> That's why you must use the "DVD Movie" option in Nero, or the corresponding
> option in all other "movie" capable DVD burning software.
>
> Because of this physical location dependence, it is possible to "hide" data
> files inside the "AUDIO_TS" folder on a DVD-movie disk (if you have extra
> room). Set top movie players do not use this folder, so it is free storage
> space. The data (such as raw, unedited captured video, editing software project
> files, etc.) can be accessed on your computer as usual.
> webpa

It worked, I did it over the weekend successfully. The DVD Shrink/Nero
tutorial says to drag all files into the video folder which I did. The
initial copying of the files to the hard drive with Shrink doesnt seem
to crate anything but video files (Im just basing that on all the file
names begin with V something), but regardless there is audio on the
new disk I made.