Need WMV to AVI Converter

Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.
11 answers Last reply
More about need converter

    mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<41846192.877@earthlink.net>...
    > Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
    > GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
    > being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

    STOIK CONVERTER does a good job of converting WMV <>AVI and it's free!

    http://www.download.com/3000-2194-10205771.html

    The thought of mcp6453 cajoles my mind into reminiscing about the smell of
    poppy seeds and the image of morning dew making rec.video.desktop glint in
    the crisp autumn rays of a mature sun.

    > Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
    > GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
    > being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

    Do boilsoft do one? they may have a watermarked trial version to test.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    POD {Ò¿Ó} wrote:

    > > Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
    > > GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
    > > being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.
    > >

    > Do boilsoft do one? they may have a watermarked trial version to test.

    Yes, they do, but it is expensive for the one or two times that I need
    to use one. GX::Transcoder makes one for free, but as I stated earlier,
    it did not work for me.

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:51:17 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows?

    EOVideo or WinAvi. Or even just Avisynth + VirtualDub.

    MrBCX wrote:

    > mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<41846192.877@earthlink.net>...
    > > Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
    > > GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
    > > being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.
    >
    > STOIK CONVERTER does a good job of converting WMV <>AVI and it's free!
    >
    > http://www.download.com/3000-2194-10205771.html

    I thought I had found what I was looking for, but the conversion stops
    -- no error message, no nothing -- after 39 seconds. Any idea what the
    problem is? I'm sure it is not a hardware problem.

    mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
    >GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
    >being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

    I think you can do it with TMPGEnc. After loading the WMV file, open
    TMPGEnc's File menu, and use the appropriate "Output to file" option.

    It might help to set DirectShow Multimedia File Reader to highest
    priority on the VFAPI plug-in tab under Environmental setting on
    TMPGEnc's Option menu.

    mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    >> STOIK CONVERTER does a good job of converting WMV <>AVI and it's free!
    >>
    >> http://www.download.com/3000-2194-10205771.html
    >

    > I thought I had found what I was looking for, but the conversion stops
    > -- no error message, no nothing -- after 39 seconds. Any idea what the
    > problem is? I'm sure it is not a hardware problem.

    I often use STOIK to convert mpeg-2 to WMV because I can run multiple
    instances of it and therefore process up to 5 video's at one time on my PC.
    This allows me to set things up and then go do other things.

    I just converted a one hour WMV to AVI using the default AVI settings
    Microsoft Video 1 compressor and PCM audio compressor.

    My system:

    HP Pavilion 3.2ghz w / hyperthreading
    Windows XP (sp2)
    MS Media Player 10 (latest codecs)

    HTH

    http://www.xstudio.ca/pcsupport/multimedia/videoediting.html

    "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
    > GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
    > being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

    Since this thread is the first one that comes up in a Google search for
    WMV to AVI, I might as well add my discovery here: Windows Movie Maker
    can do this. Open your WMV, drag it into the timeline, select "save to
    my computer," and for the "Movie Setting" (i.e. output type), select
    the "other settings" radio button and choose "DV-AVI(NTSC)" from the
    dropdown box. It seems to work fine, and the output quality is probably
    as good as it's possible to make it.

    Note that I've only done this for WMVs that I've created myself. I
    presume there could be potential Digital Rights Management problems
    with WMVs from other sources.

    Another possibility is to use the Graphedt utility of DirectShow
    (DirectShow is part of the DirectX SDK. Install the SDK and the
    "extras" to get DirectShow). There are descriptions on the net of how
    to establish the filter chain for transforming one file type into
    another. I started down this path but abandoned that effort when I
    discovered that Movie Maker could do the job for me.

    A few keywords to make this findable for other searchers:
    WMV2AVI convert WMV into AVI make AVI from WMV

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I
    tried
    > GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
    > being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

    You may lose this option if you install XP SP2.

    mistersandiego@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Since this thread is the first one that comes up in a Google search for
    >WMV to AVI, I might as well add my discovery here: Windows Movie Maker
    >can do this. Open your WMV, drag it into the timeline, select "save to
    >my computer," and for the "Movie Setting" (i.e. output type), select
    >the "other settings" radio button and choose "DV-AVI(NTSC)" from the
    >dropdown box. It seems to work fine, and the output quality is probably
    >as good as it's possible to make it.
    >
    >Note that I've only done this for WMVs that I've created myself. I
    >presume there could be potential Digital Rights Management problems
    >with WMVs from other sources.
    >
    >Another possibility is to use the Graphedt utility of DirectShow
    >(DirectShow is part of the DirectX SDK. Install the SDK and the
    >"extras" to get DirectShow). There are descriptions on the net of how
    >to establish the filter chain for transforming one file type into
    >another. I started down this path but abandoned that effort when I
    >discovered that Movie Maker could do the job for me.
    >
    >A few keywords to make this findable for other searchers:
    >WMV2AVI convert WMV into AVI make AVI from WMV
    >
    >mcp6453 wrote:
    >> Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I
    >tried
    >> GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
    >> being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

    xilisoft video converter also do that. rip wmv to avi and avi to wmv.

Tuner Cards Video Converter AVI Graphics