Need WMV to AVI Converter

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2004 6:51:17 AM

Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

More about : wmv avi converter

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 11:40:47 AM

mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<41846192.877@earthlink.net>...
> Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
> GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
> being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

STOIK CONVERTER does a good job of converting WMV <>AVI and it's free!

http://www.download.com/3000-2194-10205771.html
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 2:36:50 PM

The thought of mcp6453 cajoles my mind into reminiscing about the smell of
poppy seeds and the image of morning dew making rec.video.desktop glint in
the crisp autumn rays of a mature sun.

> Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
> GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
> being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

Do boilsoft do one? they may have a watermarked trial version to test.

--
*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

POD {Ò¿Ó} wrote:

> > Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
> > GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
> > being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.
> >

> Do boilsoft do one? they may have a watermarked trial version to test.

Yes, they do, but it is expensive for the one or two times that I need
to use one. GX::Transcoder makes one for free, but as I stated earlier,
it did not work for me.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 7:40:35 PM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:51:17 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows?

EOVideo or WinAvi. Or even just Avisynth + VirtualDub.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:14:04 AM

MrBCX wrote:

> mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<41846192.877@earthlink.net>...
> > Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
> > GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
> > being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.
>
> STOIK CONVERTER does a good job of converting WMV <>AVI and it's free!
>
> http://www.download.com/3000-2194-10205771.html

I thought I had found what I was looking for, but the conversion stops
-- no error message, no nothing -- after 39 seconds. Any idea what the
problem is? I'm sure it is not a hardware problem.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:05:30 AM

mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
>GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
>being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.

I think you can do it with TMPGEnc. After loading the WMV file, open
TMPGEnc's File menu, and use the appropriate "Output to file" option.

It might help to set DirectShow Multimedia File Reader to highest
priority on the VFAPI plug-in tab under Environmental setting on
TMPGEnc's Option menu.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:54:44 AM

mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> STOIK CONVERTER does a good job of converting WMV <>AVI and it's free!
>>
>> http://www.download.com/3000-2194-10205771.html
>

> I thought I had found what I was looking for, but the conversion stops
> -- no error message, no nothing -- after 39 seconds. Any idea what the
> problem is? I'm sure it is not a hardware problem.

I often use STOIK to convert mpeg-2 to WMV because I can run multiple
instances of it and therefore process up to 5 video's at one time on my PC.
This allows me to set things up and then go do other things.

I just converted a one hour WMV to AVI using the default AVI settings
Microsoft Video 1 compressor and PCM audio compressor.

My system:

HP Pavilion 3.2ghz w / hyperthreading
Windows XP (sp2)
MS Media Player 10 (latest codecs)

HTH
November 2, 2004 5:59:12 PM

http://www.xstudio.ca/pcsupport/multimedia/videoediting...

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I tried
> GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
> being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:58:30 PM

Since this thread is the first one that comes up in a Google search for
WMV to AVI, I might as well add my discovery here: Windows Movie Maker
can do this. Open your WMV, drag it into the timeline, select "save to
my computer," and for the "Movie Setting" (i.e. output type), select
the "other settings" radio button and choose "DV-AVI(NTSC)" from the
dropdown box. It seems to work fine, and the output quality is probably
as good as it's possible to make it.

Note that I've only done this for WMVs that I've created myself. I
presume there could be potential Digital Rights Management problems
with WMVs from other sources.

Another possibility is to use the Graphedt utility of DirectShow
(DirectShow is part of the DirectX SDK. Install the SDK and the
"extras" to get DirectShow). There are descriptions on the net of how
to establish the filter chain for transforming one file type into
another. I started down this path but abandoned that effort when I
discovered that Movie Maker could do the job for me.

A few keywords to make this findable for other searchers:
WMV2AVI convert WMV into AVI make AVI from WMV

mcp6453 wrote:
> Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I
tried
> GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
> being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.
March 20, 2005 11:46:56 PM

You may lose this option if you install XP SP2.

mistersandiego@yahoo.com wrote:

>Since this thread is the first one that comes up in a Google search for
>WMV to AVI, I might as well add my discovery here: Windows Movie Maker
>can do this. Open your WMV, drag it into the timeline, select "save to
>my computer," and for the "Movie Setting" (i.e. output type), select
>the "other settings" radio button and choose "DV-AVI(NTSC)" from the
>dropdown box. It seems to work fine, and the output quality is probably
>as good as it's possible to make it.
>
>Note that I've only done this for WMVs that I've created myself. I
>presume there could be potential Digital Rights Management problems
>with WMVs from other sources.
>
>Another possibility is to use the Graphedt utility of DirectShow
>(DirectShow is part of the DirectX SDK. Install the SDK and the
>"extras" to get DirectShow). There are descriptions on the net of how
>to establish the filter chain for transforming one file type into
>another. I started down this path but abandoned that effort when I
>discovered that Movie Maker could do the job for me.
>
>A few keywords to make this findable for other searchers:
>WMV2AVI convert WMV into AVI make AVI from WMV
>
>mcp6453 wrote:
>> Is there a good WMV to AVI/DIVX converter available for Windows? I
>tried
>> GXTranscoder, but it is terrible. The audio is not anywhere close to
>> being in sync with the video. The video is jerky.
March 31, 2005 11:50:50 PM

xilisoft video converter also do that. rip wmv to avi and avi to wmv.
!