End of Daylight Time in US: Have you changed your camera c..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2004 6:27:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.digital.photo,alt.photography,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
correct time.

Other clocks to consider:

Kitchen Stove - Answering Machine - Still Camera - Video Camera
VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX Machine
Central Air Conditioning - GPS

Gary

P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
have it here!

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway

Archived from groups: rec.digital.photo,alt.photography,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

How about Zulu time ?

Dave ;-)

"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
| For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
| remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
| correct time.
|
| Other clocks to consider:
|
| Kitchen Stove - Answering Machine - Still Camera - Video Camera
| VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX Machine
| Central Air Conditioning - GPS
|
| Gary
|
| P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
| never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
| convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
| now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
| have it here!
|
| --
| Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
| Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
| When I make a mistake, I will repeat it several times so people
| will think I did it on purpose.
| The above tagline is number 471 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 10:48:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net> writes:
> P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
> never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
> convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
> now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
> have it here!

I haven't really decided what to do about this. Daylight savings time
is less of an issue than travel between time zones. I keep forgetting
to reset the camcorder when I do that.
November 1, 2004 6:59:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On 31 Oct 2004 19:48:50 -0800, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net> writes:
>> P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
>> never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
>> convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
>> now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
>> have it here!
>
>I haven't really decided what to do about this. Daylight savings time
>is less of an issue than travel between time zones. I keep forgetting
>to reset the camcorder when I do that.

Its not Daylight Savings time, its Daylight Saving time.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 8:09:29 AM

In rec.video Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote:
> For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
> remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
> correct time.

I suspected this last year when someone (you?) posted this reminder, but
confirmed it tonight: my Sony VX2000 automatically adjusted its clock for
daylight savings.

So did my VCR, which surprised me, since it's supposed to pull the time
signals automatically from public-broadcast channels on cable (like PBS).
What's so special about that? It's not connected to cable TV...
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:30:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

GT40 wrote:
[]
> Its not Daylight Savings time, its Daylight Saving time.

If it was "savings" perhaps it would attract an interest rate?

David
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:16:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.digital.photo,alt.photography,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I guess that will not change.

news:o vahd.2695$wP1.1957@trnddc09...
> How about Zulu time ?
>
> Dave ;-)
>

> "Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> | For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
> | remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
> | correct time.
> |
> | Other clocks to consider:
> |
> | Kitchen Stove - Answering Machine - Still Camera - Video Camera
> | VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX Machine
> | Central Air Conditioning - GPS
> |
> | Gary
> |
> | P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
> | never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
> | convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
> | now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
> | have it here!
> |
> | --
> | Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
> | Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> | When I make a mistake, I will repeat it several times so people
> | will think I did it on purpose.
> | The above tagline is number 471 in a series of 547. Collect them all!

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:24:14 PM

news:o vahd.2695$wP1.1957@trnddc09...
> How about Zulu time ?
>
> Dave ;-)

Of course if you were one of us who actually used Zulu time,
you would know that it is GMT.

Luck;
Ken
ASA Forever!!
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:24:15 PM

In article <41867f3d$0$9124$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>, Ken Maltby says...

>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>news:o vahd.2695$wP1.1957@trnddc09...
>> How about Zulu time ?
>>
>> Dave ;-)
>
> Of course if you were one of us who actually used Zulu time,
>you would know that it is GMT.

And if you really used Zulu-time, you would know that the only
correct name nowadays is UTC.

cheers

-martin-

--
My e-mail address is a frequently changing random one to pollute spammer's
databases. I all encourage you to do the same :)

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I keep mine on GMT.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:29:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.digital.photo,alt.photography,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Daylight savings time, as it was once explained to me, happens so commuters
in the morning are driving at a time when there is light. More light=better
vision= less crashes. Of course there are the poor folks who get to drive
East into the rising sun! So there, a somewhat logical reason (not dure if
it is true! lol).
be safe
November 2, 2004 1:11:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.digital.photo,alt.photography,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

More than I ever needed to know about DST,..
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html
WAY MORE ! !

"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
> remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
> correct time.
>
> Other clocks to consider:
>
> Kitchen Stove - Answering Machine - Still Camera - Video Camera
> VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX Machine
> Central Air Conditioning - GPS
>
> Gary
>
> P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
> never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
> convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
> now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
> have it here!
>
> --
> Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> When I make a mistake, I will repeat it several times so people
> will think I did it on purpose.
> The above tagline is number 471 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:56:58 AM

"GT40" <me@mine.us> wrote in message
> On 31 Oct 2004 19:48:50 -0800, Paul Rubin
> <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:
>
> >Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net> writes:
> >> P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
> >> never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
> >> convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
> >> now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do?
We
> >> have it here!
> >
> >I haven't really decided what to do about this. Daylight savings time
> >is less of an issue than travel between time zones. I keep forgetting
> >to reset the camcorder when I do that.
>

> Its not Daylight Savings time, its Daylight Saving time.

It's neither. You can't save daylight.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:43:26 AM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:59:54 GMT, GT40 <me@mine.us> wrote:

>On 31 Oct 2004 19:48:50 -0800, Paul Rubin
><http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:
>
>>Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net> writes:
>>> P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
>>> never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
>>> convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
>>> now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
>>> have it here!
>>
>>I haven't really decided what to do about this. Daylight savings time
>>is less of an issue than travel between time zones. I keep forgetting
>>to reset the camcorder when I do that.
>

>Its not Daylight Savings time, its Daylight Saving time.

Thanks for the mighty contribution to the world's knowledge.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 3:08:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.digital.photo,alt.photography,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Kevin <kevin@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> In rec.video Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your
>> pictures, remember to set the clock in your still and/or video
>> camera to the correct time.
>
> I suspected this last year when someone (you?) posted this
> reminder, but confirmed it tonight: my Sony VX2000 automatically
> adjusted its clock for daylight savings.
>
> So did my VCR, which surprised me, since it's supposed to pull the
> time signals automatically from public-broadcast channels on cable
> (like PBS). What's so special about that? It's not connected to
> cable TV...

It's not only on cable, it's also on the PBS B/C signal.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com