Can i setup a 2 computer network without a Wireless Access..

I have a WiFi PCI card in my desktop and a USB WiFi Adapter on the laptop,
both can see other networks which is fine.

I can connect the two together using a cross over Ethernet cable and make a
2 PC workgroup, but my question is: Is there any way I can do the same with
my existing wifi gear without adding any other equipment? I mean just have
the two PC's talk to each other i.e.a crossover cable equivalent for WiFi?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about setup computer network wireless access

    Yes, it's called ad hoc. Search the web using google, for "ad hoc", and
    WiFi.

    Bill Crocker

    "Tom" <faai_dee_mail@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    >I have a WiFi PCI card in my desktop and a USB WiFi Adapter on the laptop,
    >both can see other networks which is fine.
    >
    > I can connect the two together using a cross over Ethernet cable and make
    > a 2 PC workgroup, but my question is: Is there any way I can do the same
    > with my existing wifi gear without adding any other equipment? I mean just
    > have the two PC's talk to each other i.e.a crossover cable equivalent for
    > WiFi?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi
    Install the Wireless card and the manufacturer utility.

    If the drivers during installation ask about Mode. Choose Ad-Hoc (The
    regular Mode is called infrastructure).

    Otherwise after the install use the manufacturer utility to change the
    communication mode to A-Hoc.

    Or if your Wireless are totally compatible with Windows XP.

    http://www.Microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx?pf=trueHi

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Yes, it's called ad hoc. Search the web using google, for "ad hoc", and
    > WiFi.
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Tom" <faai_dee_mail@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > >I have a WiFi PCI card in my desktop and a USB WiFi Adapter on the
    laptop,
    > >both can see other networks which is fine.
    > >
    > > I can connect the two together using a cross over Ethernet cable and
    make
    > > a 2 PC workgroup, but my question is: Is there any way I can do the same
    > > with my existing wifi gear without adding any other equipment? I mean
    just
    > > have the two PC's talk to each other i.e.a crossover cable equivalent
    for
    > > WiFi?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Thanks guys,

    I have now setup a adhoc network between two computers, but my issue now is
    security. as per a similar post of mine:
    I am now concerned about security. as I don't have a router for firewall
    facilities, I only use Zone Alarm, GRISoft AVG Antivirus and the Windows
    Firewall. Oh I also heard that if I use WinXP SP2 firewall I can get rid of
    zone alarm, is that true?
    If I use adhoc mode does that mean that all my shared resources are now
    instantly available to access my shared folders in the host computer? Is
    there a way I can limit access to specific adhoc clients? and how do I
    manage these things simply without setting up each folder individually?

    So in summary, what I would like is to:
    1) stop unauthorised people using my internet connection or resources
    (printers HDD's etc)
    2) stop people "seeing" what I am transmitting over the wireless connection

    PS Freeware is always good option for me as I am on a tight/non-existent
    budget

    Thanks again.

    Tom

    "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Install the Wireless card and the manufacturer utility.
    >
    > If the drivers during installation ask about Mode. Choose Ad-Hoc (The
    > regular Mode is called infrastructure).
    >
    > Otherwise after the install use the manufacturer utility to change the
    > communication mode to A-Hoc.
    >
    > Or if your Wireless are totally compatible with Windows XP.
    >
    > http://www.Microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    > mspx?pf=trueHi
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Yes, it's called ad hoc. Search the web using google, for "ad hoc", and
    >> WiFi.
    >>
    >> Bill Crocker
    >>

    >> "Tom" <faai_dee_mail@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    >> >I have a WiFi PCI card in my desktop and a USB WiFi Adapter on the
    > laptop,
    >> >both can see other networks which is fine.
    >> >
    >> > I can connect the two together using a cross over Ethernet cable and
    > make
    >> > a 2 PC workgroup, but my question is: Is there any way I can do the
    >> > same
    >> > with my existing wifi gear without adding any other equipment? I mean
    > just
    >> > have the two PC's talk to each other i.e.a crossover cable equivalent
    > for
    >> > WiFi?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    Hi

    You are using the word Security in conjunction with Firewall and Wireless,
    as though it is the same.

    Wireless Security has Nothing to do with Firewall.

    Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by
    people in the neighborhood attaching then self to your LAN. That why there
    is Wireless Security measures to avoid Local Tapping. These measure are
    unique only the Wireless itself.

    Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    The Firewall "Job" is to protect the Internet connection from being
    invaded, and to prevent your LAN computers from transmitting out to the
    Internet privileged information.

    Each computer on your Network that has access to the Internet should have
    its own Firewall regardless of whether you use Wire or Wireless.

    In addition you should have tools available if your computers get Infested.

    Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html

    The same applies to Sharing; it has nothing to do with Wireless. Sharing
    has to be set correctly regardless of any other components.

    File Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    I like WinXP SP2 you can switch Off ZA and give it a try.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > I have now setup a adhoc network between two computers, but my issue now
    is
    > security. as per a similar post of mine:
    > I am now concerned about security. as I don't have a router for firewall
    > facilities, I only use Zone Alarm, GRISoft AVG Antivirus and the Windows
    > Firewall. Oh I also heard that if I use WinXP SP2 firewall I can get rid
    of
    > zone alarm, is that true?
    > If I use adhoc mode does that mean that all my shared resources are now
    > instantly available to access my shared folders in the host computer? Is
    > there a way I can limit access to specific adhoc clients? and how do I
    > manage these things simply without setting up each folder individually?
    >
    > So in summary, what I would like is to:
    > 1) stop unauthorised people using my internet connection or resources
    > (printers HDD's etc)
    > 2) stop people "seeing" what I am transmitting over the wireless
    connection

    > PS Freeware is always good option for me as I am on a tight/non-existent
    > budget
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > Install the Wireless card and the manufacturer utility.
    > >
    > > If the drivers during installation ask about Mode. Choose Ad-Hoc (The
    > > regular Mode is called infrastructure).
    > >
    > > Otherwise after the install use the manufacturer utility to change the
    > > communication mode to A-Hoc.
    > >
    > > Or if your Wireless are totally compatible with Windows XP.

    http://www.Microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    > > mspx?pf=trueHi
    > >
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >

    > > "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Yes, it's called ad hoc. Search the web using google, for "ad hoc",
    and
    > >> WiFi.
    > >>
    > >> Bill Crocker
    > >>

    > >> "Tom" <faai_dee_mail@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > > laptop,

    > > make
    > > just
    > > for

Wireless Access WiFi Wireless Networking