Can't reboot host using Remote Desktop

I connect to various PCs using Windows Remote Deskop, XP professional. For
some reason, I cann't restart the host through the remote connection. I
even go to "Windows Security" and tell it to restart the host and it just
ignores the command. Is this a built-in limitation of the package for
security reasons? For example, I can reboot using pcAnywhere (although I
cannot launch a pcAnywhere host while connecting via remote desktop).
Thanks,
Jim
5 answers Last reply
More about reboot host remote desktop

    What happens if you use the "shutdown -r" command?

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:40:29 -0400, "jsl" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I connect to various PCs using Windows Remote Deskop, XP professional. For
    >some reason, I cann't restart the host through the remote connection. I
    >even go to "Windows Security" and tell it to restart the host and it just
    >ignores the command. Is this a built-in limitation of the package for
    >security reasons? For example, I can reboot using pcAnywhere (although I
    >cannot launch a pcAnywhere host while connecting via remote desktop).
    >Thanks,
    >Jim

    Hi Jim,

    Thank you for posting!

    By default, you cannot use Remote Desktop to remote restart the computer
    for the security reason.

    However, I believe Jeffrey's suggestion is a good workaround. Please try
    the command "shutdown -r" to reboot the computer remotely. The remote
    computer should be rebooted with 30 seconds.

    Have a nice day!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    So I guess I would do that from the Start, Run window? Thanks, Jim
    "Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > Thank you for posting!
    >
    > By default, you cannot use Remote Desktop to remote restart the computer
    > for the security reason.
    >
    > However, I believe Jeffrey's suggestion is a good workaround. Please try
    > the command "shutdown -r" to reboot the computer remotely. The remote
    > computer should be rebooted with 30 seconds.
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    rights.

    Either there or in a command prompt window.

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:46:50 -0400, "jsl" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >So I guess I would do that from the Start, Run window? Thanks, Jim
    >"Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Jim,
    >>
    >> Thank you for posting!
    >>
    >> By default, you cannot use Remote Desktop to remote restart the computer
    >> for the security reason.
    >>
    >> However, I believe Jeffrey's suggestion is a good workaround. Please try
    >> the command "shutdown -r" to reboot the computer remotely. The remote
    >> computer should be rebooted with 30 seconds.
    >>
    >> Have a nice day!
    >>
    >> Thanks & Regards,
    >>
    >> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    >> Microsoft Online Partner Support

    >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    >rights.

    Yes, please click Start, point to Run and type the command "Shutdown -r"
    (without quotation marks) and then press Enter.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP