Can't reboot host using Remote Desktop

July 13, 2004 3:40:29 PM

I connect to various PCs using Windows Remote Deskop, XP professional. For
some reason, I cann't restart the host through the remote connection. I
even go to "Windows Security" and tell it to restart the host and it just
ignores the command. Is this a built-in limitation of the package for
security reasons? For example, I can reboot using pcAnywhere (although I
cannot launch a pcAnywhere host while connecting via remote desktop).
Thanks,
Jim
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 12:15:27 AM

What happens if you use the "shutdown -r" command?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:40:29 -0400, "jsl" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I connect to various PCs using Windows Remote Deskop, XP professional. For
>some reason, I cann't restart the host through the remote connection. I
>even go to "Windows Security" and tell it to restart the host and it just
>ignores the command. Is this a built-in limitation of the package for
>security reasons? For example, I can reboot using pcAnywhere (although I
>cannot launch a pcAnywhere host while connecting via remote desktop).
>Thanks,
>Jim

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:33:14 PM

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting!

By default, you cannot use Remote Desktop to remote restart the computer
for the security reason.

However, I believe Jeffrey's suggestion is a good workaround. Please try
the command "shutdown -r" to reboot the computer remotely. The remote
computer should be rebooted with 30 seconds.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

July 14, 2004 1:46:50 PM

So I guess I would do that from the Start, Run window? Thanks, Jim
"Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D l5XcWYaEHA.2900@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl...
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thank you for posting!
>
> By default, you cannot use Remote Desktop to remote restart the computer
> for the security reason.
>
> However, I believe Jeffrey's suggestion is a good workaround. Please try
> the command "shutdown -r" to reboot the computer remotely. The remote
> computer should be rebooted with 30 seconds.
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 12:23:33 AM

Either there or in a command prompt window.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:46:50 -0400, "jsl" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>So I guess I would do that from the Start, Run window? Thanks, Jim
>"Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>news:D l5XcWYaEHA.2900@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> Thank you for posting!
>>
>> By default, you cannot use Remote Desktop to remote restart the computer
>> for the security reason.
>>
>> However, I believe Jeffrey's suggestion is a good workaround. Please try
>> the command "shutdown -r" to reboot the computer remotely. The remote
>> computer should be rebooted with 30 seconds.
>>
>> Have a nice day!
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support

>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>rights.

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 5:31:23 AM

Yes, please click Start, point to Run and type the command "Shutdown -r"
(without quotation marks) and then press Enter.