Converting VOB files to MPG

Hi there ...

Yes ... I thought I could pull a fast one by getting a JV DR-MV1S and
dumping all kinds of stuff to DVD-R in the hope that one day I'll be
able to get a PC with the capability of doing something with it.

In the meantime, it looks like my 6 year old DVD-ROM drive can
actually read the file structure, but here's the question.

Obviously this poor box doesn't have much hope of being able to do
anything SERIOUS, but what I was hoping was I could at least translate
some short clips into MPG that could be played with MediaPlayer so I
could send them out to the various relatives.

Question -- how in the heck do you convert these VOB files so they can
be played in MediaPlayer?

Thanks!

Ax
3 answers Last reply
More about converting files

    Rename them from*.vob to *.mpg! (works for me)
    /Kale

    On 1 Nov 2004 18:50:22 -0800, axinar@yahoo.com (Axinar) wrote:

    >Hi there ...
    >
    >Yes ... I thought I could pull a fast one by getting a JV DR-MV1S and
    >dumping all kinds of stuff to DVD-R in the hope that one day I'll be
    >able to get a PC with the capability of doing something with it.
    >
    >In the meantime, it looks like my 6 year old DVD-ROM drive can
    >actually read the file structure, but here's the question.
    >
    >Obviously this poor box doesn't have much hope of being able to do
    >anything SERIOUS, but what I was hoping was I could at least translate
    >some short clips into MPG that could be played with MediaPlayer so I
    >could send them out to the various relatives.
    >
    >Question -- how in the heck do you convert these VOB files so they can
    >be played in MediaPlayer?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    > Ax

    Those VOB files are so-called multiplexed files: made up from
    different other files. You can de-multiplex them: choose the files you
    want. Try this with the freeware version of TMPGEnc from
    www.pegasys-inc.com : (menu: file > MPEG-Tools > de-multiplex)

    You get separate audio and video files by doing this. As dvd uses
    mpeg-2 encoding for video and MediaPlayer doesn't support this as a
    standard, you can transcode to DivX, XviD or DV-avi with a suitable
    program. (From www.divx.com for example for DivX.)

    If this all seems to be to much a hassle, you can use a software dvd
    player instead of MediaPlayer. These players can natively work with
    VOB files: no need to convert anything. (PowerDVD from Cyberlink or
    WinDVD from InterVideo are quite good ones.)

    "Magnus Karlsson" <tokale@telia.com> wrote in message
    > Rename them from*.vob to *.mpg! (works for me)
    > /Kale

    This doesn't work if your VOB files have AC3 audio.

    Sanman

    > "Axinar" <axinar@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Hi there ...
    >>
    >> Yes ... I thought I could pull a fast one by getting a JV DR-MV1S and
    >> dumping all kinds of stuff to DVD-R in the hope that one day I'll be
    >> able to get a PC with the capability of doing something with it.
    >>
    >> In the meantime, it looks like my 6 year old DVD-ROM drive can
    >> actually read the file structure, but here's the question.
    >>
    >> Obviously this poor box doesn't have much hope of being able to do
    >> anything SERIOUS, but what I was hoping was I could at least translate
    >> some short clips into MPG that could be played with MediaPlayer so I
    >> could send them out to the various relatives.
    >>
    >> Question -- how in the heck do you convert these VOB files so they can
    >> be played in MediaPlayer?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Ax

Tuner Cards Graphics