Converting VOB files to MPG

Hi there ...

Yes ... I thought I could pull a fast one by getting a JV DR-MV1S and
dumping all kinds of stuff to DVD-R in the hope that one day I'll be
able to get a PC with the capability of doing something with it.

In the meantime, it looks like my 6 year old DVD-ROM drive can
actually read the file structure, but here's the question.

Obviously this poor box doesn't have much hope of being able to do
anything SERIOUS, but what I was hoping was I could at least translate
some short clips into MPG that could be played with MediaPlayer so I
could send them out to the various relatives.

Question -- how in the heck do you convert these VOB files so they can
be played in MediaPlayer?

Thanks!

Ax

Rename them from*.vob to *.mpg! (works for me)
/Kale

On 1 Nov 2004 18:50:22 -0800, axinar@yahoo.com (Axinar) wrote:

>Hi there ...
>
>Yes ... I thought I could pull a fast one by getting a JV DR-MV1S and
>dumping all kinds of stuff to DVD-R in the hope that one day I'll be
>able to get a PC with the capability of doing something with it.
>
>In the meantime, it looks like my 6 year old DVD-ROM drive can
>actually read the file structure, but here's the question.
>
>Obviously this poor box doesn't have much hope of being able to do
>anything SERIOUS, but what I was hoping was I could at least translate
>some short clips into MPG that could be played with MediaPlayer so I
>could send them out to the various relatives.
>
>Question -- how in the heck do you convert these VOB files so they can
>be played in MediaPlayer?
>
>Thanks!
>
> Ax

Those VOB files are so-called multiplexed files: made up from
different other files. You can de-multiplex them: choose the files you
want. Try this with the freeware version of TMPGEnc from
www.pegasys-inc.com : (menu: file > MPEG-Tools > de-multiplex)

You get separate audio and video files by doing this. As dvd uses
mpeg-2 encoding for video and MediaPlayer doesn't support this as a
standard, you can transcode to DivX, XviD or DV-avi with a suitable
program. (From www.divx.com for example for DivX.)

If this all seems to be to much a hassle, you can use a software dvd
player instead of MediaPlayer. These players can natively work with
VOB files: no need to convert anything. (PowerDVD from Cyberlink or
WinDVD from InterVideo are quite good ones.)

"Magnus Karlsson" <tokale@telia.com> wrote in message
> Rename them from*.vob to *.mpg! (works for me)
> /Kale

This doesn't work if your VOB files have AC3 audio.

Sanman