Free software-based VFW MPEG2 codec??

I am looking for a freeware / open source software-based VFW MPEG2
codec, which will allow me to export to DVD-compliant MPEG2 files
using VirtualDub.

I am already aware of the Ympeg codec, .. but it is not free anymore,
so I have lost interest in it completely. I don't want to hear abotu
TMPEGEncodcer either, as the MPEG2 encoding fucntionalities expire
after 30 days. Surely, there are enough freeware / open source
applications floating around out there where purchasing these types of
applications shouldn't be necessary.

Basically, I want to put together a training video that demonstrates
DVD creation using only free (and LEGAL) software applications, ...
but I can't seem to find a proper, free solution for MPEG2 encoding.

I know that there are licensing issues in regads to the MPEG2 format.
However, ... how does one explain an application such as BBMPG?
Although it is not a standalone VFW codec, it DOES allow for the
creation of DVD-compliant MPEG2 files. So does that mean it's
"illegal" software, or in violation of the MPEG2 licensing agreement?
Or is there a clause to the licence that exempts software that is
technically still in a "BETA" stage?

Thanks in advance,
- yvan

On 2 Nov 2004 07:19:59 -0800, yvan@ideasdesign.com (Yvan J. Gagnon)
wrote:

>I am looking for a freeware / open source software-based VFW MPEG2
>codec, which will allow me to export to DVD-compliant MPEG2 files
>using VirtualDub.

>I am already aware of the Ympeg codec, .. but it is not free anymore,
>so I have lost interest in it completely.

I recommend QuEnc 0.56 [Alpha].
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?&threadid=84857
It doesn't work directly in VDub like YMPEG, but you can frameserve from
VDub to QuEnc. The default frameserving extension in VDub is .vdr, but
you have to use an .avi extension instead.
http://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubframeserve

QuEnc requires Avisynth (also free software).
You don't have to be familiar with Avisynth, just install it.
http://www.avisynth.org/

Older versions of QuEnc only encoded the video (.m2v) but 0.56a also
supports MP2 and AC3 audio.

>I know that there are licensing issues in regads to the MPEG2 format.
>However, ... how does one explain an application such as BBMPG?

I don't know, you should ask the QuEnc programmer (Nic). You can contact
him in the QuEnc thread in Doom9's forum. QuEnc use ffmpeg. You can find
more information there: http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/

Hello Yvan,

It is not possible to have legal MPEG-2 freeware. That is one of the
reason why many freeware implementation like bbmpeg stopped and also
YMPEG needs to change the status. Any freeware MPEG-2 implementation
(encoder or decoder) is violation of patent rights.

Follwing is reply from MPEG-LA when we requested to allow YMPEG as
freeware.

-> Thanks for information. Can exception given to freeware as I do not
-> charge for this product. This is sad as I will have to stop further
-> development on MPEG2.

->> As previously mentioned, all MPEG-2 products are treated the same,
->> including those offered for free. Therefore, the short answer is
->> that no exception is made for freeware.

Hope it clarifies.

wrote:

>I am looking for a freeware / open source software-based VFW MPEG2
>codec, which will allow me to export to DVD-compliant MPEG2 files
>using VirtualDub.

Look here http://www.vmesquita.com/en/index.htm, and also QuEnc at
http://www.doom9.org/software.htm#mpeg2encs.

TRENDING THREADS