Lenovo Shows New Thinkpad and Thinkpad Ultrabook

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]phexac[/nom]Why Lenovos always so ugly...?[/citation]

Well they look semi-professional, my ASUS N53SN looks more professional though and it's a fairly beefy entertainment laptop.

intel4004

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Well they look semi-professional, my ASUS N53SN looks more professional though and it's a fairly beefy entertainment laptop.[/citation]

I agree. I like how they are not following the MBA style.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
What's with the chicklet-style keyboard ?

Don't they understand that one of the key selling points of their thinkpad line is the great keyboard ? Of course, I am talking about the only 3 series that are still faithful to their thinkpad origins, the X, W and T series. The others have become plastic crap, although for the price they are being offered for they are great alternatives to their competition because of their thinkpad software treatment and ironically the keyboard.

The big question is, will they have the thinkpad rollcage ? And brushed alluminum can go grind himself, magnesium alloy all the way.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"feature set of a traditional notebook with that of netbook"

Isn't a 'netbook' simply a very stripped down laptop?
If so, how do you 'combine' what features ?

Or am I missing something here ?

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
Lenovo Thinkpad are some of the best looking laptop out there. That is why business people get them (plus support, built quality, and features) because they look professional, not some cheap shiny plastic like toshiba, dell, gateway, hp (Dell business laptop looks like Thinkpad). I other good looking laptop are Sony Vaio, which designs are modern like apple. I do have a thinkpad and vaio, so my eyes are drawn to them.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Once you tried a thinkpad, you wouldn't want another type of notebook

Though the W520 I have may be the last ThinkPad I buy if the chiclet keyboard of the T430u ships standard, and an option to install a half-decent keyboard disappears.

The X1 Hybrid, though, sounds cool, but its glossy screen (yeah, I know it's Gorilla Glass but still) and chiclet keyboard put it right out.

The instant-on feature's nice, but it's sort of redundant since mobile OS aren't designed to do actual work.

Then again, neither are Ultrabooks.

fullcircle_bflo

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]What's with the chicklet-style keyboard ?[/citation]

I have never understood why this trend caught on with laptops. Every one that I have used with the chicklet keyboard has seriously effected my typing. To each his own I guess.

G

The chicklet-style keyboard is designed to save space. It is thinner.

G

I don't get all the hating...i've got a lenovo with chicklet keyboard and it is easier to type on then the regular ones. i type just as fast on that as i do on a desktop with an ergonomic keyboard that i've had years to get used to...

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Assuming it's up to normal thinkpad build standards, I'd love this machine. And to all the comments about ugly...I like the look, and I've dropped a couple of my thinkpads out the back of my work truck over the years, always a 3-4 ft drop, while ON, and never anything more than a scratch or slight sliver of plastic falling off. Never a broken screen like a few co-workers and their crapple products.

pat

Expert
[citation][nom]Malicemizer[/nom]God that thing is ugly. Compared to the samsung, acer, asus ultra books this one looks 10 years old. Count me out.[/citation]

Yup, abuse an Asus, Acer or Samsung the same as lenovo, for 6 month and then, tell me which one wouldn't look like 10 years old machine.

G

I don't care much about the design of Lenovos, because they used to be some tough business machines. The T430 might carry on with the previous 400 models but I've seen a X1 live and this thing is by far not worth the money on buidling quality.

I've never seen a Lenovo X that is that crappy and fragile on the outside. If you want a Lenovo X stay with the 200 or 300 series, they're almost as light and feel a lot more stabile.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]fullcircle_bflo[/nom]I have never understood why this trend caught on with laptops. Every one that I have used with the chicklet keyboard has seriously effected my typing. To each his own I guess.[/citation]For thin think pads, that is kind of the reason... But Lenovo does a bit better job than others. But these are not true "chicklet" keys... Those were rubber keys, usually a single slab poking through the holes. The worst were the flat plastic "keyboard" which had keys drawn on them: early 80s like the Atari 400 or Odyssey2.

Anyways... For tiny net books, etc it makes sense. But for your typical notebook, they suck. They do Look better, stylish... I think apple started it. Worse are desktop keyboards doing the same thing... But are kind of required for lit keyboards.

The current regular think pads like the T400/T500 series have awesome keyboards. Great feel and almost a perfect layout. Pretty much everyone else makes flat keys... They are cheaper too and far easier to break, which warranty won't cover.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Malicemizer[/nom]God that thing is ugly. Compared to the samsung, acer, asus ultra books this one looks 10 years old. Count me out.[/citation]
[citation][nom]phexac[/nom]Why Lenovos always so ugly...?[/citation]
Ugly? I think they look great. Not like typical generic HP apple wanna be designs. Even today's Thinkpads are among the toughest notebooks you can buy. Spill your drink, you won't fry your it. Their mainstream models have real keyboards, non glossy displays (unlike the crap you get with everyone else), a roll cage (they drove over a T400s with a truck). The support is far better than HP and dell. And they don't load the notebooks up with crapware.

I have an old r61 and x200. Thinkpad is the only thing I recommend and sell to clients.

Lenovos Ideapad line is their consumer series... Which look modern, flashy with the usual glossy screen and flat keys... They cost a bit less, look great but without many of the Thinkpad features.

Overall, ultra books beg to be damaged. I don't think the T4X0s series is worth the cost over a normal T400 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.