kim

Hi, I'm trying to use Remote Desktop from work to connect to my home
computer. I can connect to the home computer from any outside location
EXCEPT my work. I suspect that they are blocking port 3389. How can I
check? Is there any way around this? I tried using RDC Web interface,
hoping that this would use port 80 instead, but I haven't been
successful yet. Is there any hope?

Thanks in advance.

Kim wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to use Remote Desktop from work to connect to my home
> computer. I can connect to the home computer from any outside location
> EXCEPT my work. I suspect that they are blocking port 3389. How can I
> check? Is there any way around this? I tried using RDC Web interface,
> hoping that this would use port 80 instead, but I haven't been
> successful yet. Is there any hope?

You could change the port that your home computer uses to listen for RDC
connections and manually enter that when you connect to it..

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> You could change the port that your home computer uses to listen for
> RDC connections and manually enter that when you connect to it..

In case you cannot find it for what ever reason...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306759

--
<- Shenan ->

Kim - there are a variety of means to attempt this--Shenan Stanley has given
good pointers to the simplest one.

Do consider whether your employer might have a legitimate reason for
controlling outbound access from their network, and whether they may have
some teeth in the form of sanctions of some sort, for attempts to contravene
their restrictions. You could always ask the IT staff at work whether they
could make this possible for you.