8mm to DVDs. How?

Does anyone know if there are some affordable computer accesseries that allow
to transfer 8mm films frame by frame to say AVI or MJPEG. How is it done. I
know htere're some services that do it. Where could I find those. Thanks.

--Leonid

AnthonyR

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there are some affordable computer accesseries that
> allow
> to transfer 8mm films frame by frame to say AVI or MJPEG. How is it done.
> know htere're some services that do it. Where could I find those. Thanks.
>
> --Leonid

Leonid,
yes I had seen a program written by someone that allowed you to scan about
10 frames at a time and it would match them up and make an avi file in the
end, never tried it myself but if I remember the name, I'll post it.
Hopefully someone can remember it or others for you as well.

AnthonyR.

AnthonyR <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote:
: yes I had seen a program written by someone that allowed you to scan about
: 10 frames at a time and it would match them up and make an avi file in the
: end, never tried it myself but if I remember the name, I'll post it.
: Hopefully someone can remember it or others for you as well.

What about hardware? How do you get those frames scanned? What should be
bought. Thanks.

--Leonid

PS. Interestingly that I called a few companies and one of them told me
that they first transfer to AVI and if I wanted AVI, I could get it. I asked
what codec they use. They answered Microsoft DV 'cause it's uncompressed.

> AnthonyR <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote:
> : yes I had seen a program written by someone that allowed you to scan
> about
> : 10 frames at a time and it would match them up and make an avi file in
> the
> : end, never tried it myself but if I remember the name, I'll post it.
> : Hopefully someone can remember it or others for you as well.
>
> What about hardware? How do you get those frames scanned? What should be
> bought. Thanks.
>
> --Leonid
>
> PS. Interestingly that I called a few companies and one of them told me
> that they first transfer to AVI and if I wanted AVI, I could get it. I
> asked
> what codec they use. They answered Microsoft DV 'cause it's uncompressed.

OK, I remembered the name, here is the web page for the software:
http://8mm2avi.netfirms.com/

for hardware I believe you use a regular flatbed scanner with a negative
attachment.
You know the type that have a back light to illuminate slides, it's
explained in his web pages.
I never tried this but always wanted to do it for a few old 8mm films I have
not converted.

They probably told you microsoft dv-avi because the 5 to 1 compression looks
like uncompressed so people
take it for uncompressed, especially since digital camera's use it for their
native capturing and it looks great.

Good Luck, let us know if you have any success trying this,
AnthonyR

Jim

Scenealyzer allows you to capture a frame at a time, could
probably be automated.

There is a company that sells modified projectors that do this very
same thing, one frame at a time, it was mentioned in this group a few
days ago.

On 4 Nov 2004 20:57:18 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote:

>Does anyone know if there are some affordable computer accesseries that allow
>to transfer 8mm films frame by frame to say AVI or MJPEG. How is it done. I
>know htere're some services that do it. Where could I find those. Thanks.
>
>--Leonid

AnthonyR <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote:
: OK, I remembered the name, here is the web page for the software:
: http://8mm2avi.netfirms.com/

Thanks. I'll take a look.

: for hardware I believe you use a regular flatbed scanner with a negative
: attachment.
: You know the type that have a back light to illuminate slides, it's
: explained in his web pages.
: I never tried this but always wanted to do it for a few old 8mm films I have
: not converted.

I'll do some research for it.

: They probably told you microsoft dv-avi because the 5 to 1 compression looks
: like uncompressed so people
: take it for uncompressed, especially since digital camera's use it for their
: native capturing and it looks great.

I actually asked them whether it was real uncompressed or just DV avi. They guy
immediately got pissed and said that no customers ever complained and just hung
up.

: Good Luck, let us know if you have any success trying this,

I will. Thanks.

--Leonid

Jim <wdxp@cox.net> wrote:
: There is a company that sells modified projectors that do this very
: same thing, one frame at a time, it was mentioned in this group a few
: days ago.

If you get across this company, please let me know.

--Leonid

Jim

Here's the URL:

http://www.moviestuff.tv/8mm_telecine.html

Enjoy

On 5 Nov 2004 14:49:18 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote:

>Jim <wdxp@cox.net> wrote:
>: There is a company that sells modified projectors that do this very
>: same thing, one frame at a time, it was mentioned in this group a few
>: days ago.
>
>If you get across this company, please let me know.
>
>--Leonid

Leonid:

here is the URL for the "WorkPrinter".

: Jim <wdxp@cox.net> wrote:
: : There is a company that sells modified projectors that do this very
: : same thing, one frame at a time, it was mentioned in this group a few
: : days ago.
: If you get across this company, please let me know.

Just scan the archives of the newsgroup using Google Groups.
This thread has appeared dozens of times with lots of
useful information.

Here's one approach: www.moviestuff.tv

Scott

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there are some affordable computer accesseries that
> allow
> to transfer 8mm films frame by frame to say AVI or MJPEG. How is it done.
> know htere're some services that do it. Where could I find those. Thanks.
>
> --Leonid

Leonid, I did this myself. I set up a cine projector in the loo. It was
on the seat. Then projected the film onto a sheet of white melamine and had
my Canon DV600i set up just under the lens of the projector. I then set the
projector running and recorded the film on the camcorder. This was then
edited and adjusted in Pinnacle Studio 9 and transferred to DVDs and tape.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the results. Any questions, email me.

Dave.

--
Dave Hall, Llangwm, Pembrokeshire.
Web:- www.daviv.com Webcam & videos of badgers and foxes on our patio

Dave Hall <dave@no_spam_daviv.com> wrote:
: Leonid, I did this myself. I set up a cine projector in the loo. It was
: on the seat. Then projected the film onto a sheet of white melamine and had
: my Canon DV600i set up just under the lens of the projector. I then set the
: projector running and recorded the film on the camcorder. This was then
: edited and adjusted in Pinnacle Studio 9 and transferred to DVDs and tape.

So you shot it from the screen. I actually might be acquiring WorkPrinter Jr.
from moviestuff.tv. They have interesting setup. The video camera looks
directly into the lens of WorkPrinter's projector. WorkPrinter is coming with
its own mouse that presses "Capture" button to capture still frame as the
frame is ready.

I will be doing frame by frame storing frames into either BMP or JPEG files
and then I'll construct MJPEG AVI from the sequence of JPEG frames.

Thanks for the response, David.

--Leonid

Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message news:<cn03ev$l1e$1@news3.bu.edu>...

> I actually might be acquiring WorkPrinter Jr.
> from moviestuff.tv. They have interesting setup. The video camera looks
> directly into the lens of WorkPrinter's projector. WorkPrinter is coming with
> its own mouse that presses "Capture" button to capture still frame as the
> frame is ready.
>
> I will be doing frame by frame storing frames into either BMP or JPEG files
> and then I'll construct MJPEG AVI from the sequence of JPEG frames.

Hi, Leonid!

Actually, the process is easier than that. The software doesn't create
a series of individual JPEG stills. Instead, it creates a standard
..AVI file in the DV codec one frame at a time. When you finish
capturing, you don't need to construct anything. You can play back the
footage immediately. The software then gives you a choice of what
playback speed the footage will run. This is the link for the CineCap
software:

http://www.alternaware.com

Hope this helps clarify how the WorkPrinter works!

Roger Evans
http://www.moviestuff.tv

Leonid:

Just so noone is misled....the projector lamp has been replaced by a
10-12 watt bulb like a Christmas Tree bulb. Otherwise, the camcorder
would be instantly and irreversibly destroyed looking directly at a
regular projector lamp from a few inches away. In other words....."Do
not try this dangerous trick at home with standard equipment"!

Mike

MovieStuff <moviestuff@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
: Actually, the process is easier than that. The software doesn't create
: a series of individual JPEG stills. Instead, it creates a standard
: .AVI file in the DV codec one frame at a time. When you finish
: capturing, you don't need to construct anything. You can play back the
: footage immediately. The software then gives you a choice of what
: playback speed the footage will run. This is the link for the CineCap
: software:

: http://www.alternaware.com

: Hope this helps clarify how the WorkPrinter works!

I will want to use my capture software 'cause it bypasses some of the driver's
calls and access hardware directly - thus giving a much better image quality.

--Leonid

mikep76 <sandyprice@msn.com> wrote:
: Just so noone is misled....the projector lamp has been replaced by a
: 10-12 watt bulb like a Christmas Tree bulb. Otherwise, the camcorder
: would be instantly and irreversibly destroyed looking directly at a
: regular projector lamp from a few inches away. In other words....."Do
: not try this dangerous trick at home with standard equipment"!

Ok, thanks. (-;

--Leonid