IPX vs TCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

which provides faster connection for LAN games? IPX or TCT/IP?

In article <c533v4$lcs$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au>, nospam@nospam.org
says...
> which provides faster connection for LAN games? IPX or TCT/IP?

IPX is faster than TCP/IP, but you can't do IPX over the internet in
multi-player games (in general).

Lan games benefit from IPX mode.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

"Tharg" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> which provides faster connection for LAN games? IPX or TCT/IP?

Although IPX is in theory faster it does have some nasty overheads and
is more prone to error loss than TCP/IP which is why it is a dying
protocol that hardly anyone uses anymore and besides on a LAN the tiny
speed difference is nothing to worry about. Just use TCP/IP, it's one
less driver taking up resources

Leythos wrote:

> In article <c533v4$lcs$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au>, nospam@nospam.org
> says...
>
>>which provides faster connection for LAN games? IPX or TCT/IP?
>

> IPX is faster than TCP/IP, but you can't do IPX over the internet in
> multi-player games (in general).

IPX is a kludge, actually.

Back in the early 90's, there was a computer game Bolo for Macintosh.
Now, the game was good, but the real reason it was created was for
a doctoral thesis on networking. The creater invented the single
most efficient method of multiplayer serverless online gaming.

No servers, each client runs the program and the networking verifies
the data that is transmitted. Since everyone else's machine is
acting as a check, cheating is virtually impossible without
hardcore programming/decompiling the code.

Each machine only needs enough bandwidth to connect to 2-3
other machines, no matter if there are 5 or 50 players.
Really slick technology.

To date, nothing else comes close to this method, but - he cannot
release the technology, sell it, or even talk about it.

See - he went to work for Apple Computer, where he still works.

Due to their intellectual "big-brother" property rules, anything
the talks about, develops, or so much as LOOKS at on his own time
even in part becomes wholly Apple's property(Disney does the same
thing, btw).

**Note - Disney, Apple, Microsoft, and several other companies
all do this. The idea that what you do as a hobby on your free
time at home is somehow "owned" by your employer is ubsurd, yet
that's the state of affiars here in the U.S.**

So, in order to retain the rights to the networking patents,
he cannot answer emails, talk about it, sell it, or even look
at a single line of code. It sits and rots until he finally
leaves Apple. Sad, really.

Still, the quality that we have now with high-speed internet
is more than sufficient to allow decent online gaming, even
if it is client-server based. Of course, modem players are hosed.

The 24-32 player limit in most games, though, is a bit frustrating.
Currently there is no way to run a (central)serverless MMORPG and
with data requirements creeping ever-further upwards, we'll hit
10-20K per second requirements per machine in the next 4-5 years.

Hopefully he comes out of his cave and rejoins the rest of us.
We really need his code to keep from hitting that wall.

In article <1081443431.26877.0@echo.uk.clara.net>, fake@ddre.ss says...

> "Tharg" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > which provides faster connection for LAN games? IPX or TCT/IP?
>
> Although IPX is in theory faster it does have some nasty overheads and
> is more prone to error loss than TCP/IP which is why it is a dying
> protocol that hardly anyone uses anymore and besides on a LAN the tiny
> speed difference is nothing to worry about. Just use TCP/IP, it's one
> less driver taking up resources

The difference can be quite noticeable - that's why a lot of shops that
can afford to have a TCP/IP front end for users and a IPX backend for
tape backup/ server to server communications.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> In article <1081443431.26877.0@echo.uk.clara.net>, fake@ddre.ss
says...

> > "Tharg" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > > which provides faster connection for LAN games? IPX or TCT/IP?
> >
> > Although IPX is in theory faster it does have some nasty overheads
and
> > is more prone to error loss than TCP/IP which is why it is a dying
> > protocol that hardly anyone uses anymore and besides on a LAN the
tiny
> > speed difference is nothing to worry about. Just use TCP/IP, it's
one
> > less driver taking up resources
>
> The difference can be quite noticeable - that's why a lot of shops
that
> can afford to have a TCP/IP front end for users and a IPX backend
for
> tape backup/ server to server communications.

I haven't seen an up-to-date network running IPX in years except where
Novell is present. SAP broadcasts need way too much bandwidth for
large scale multi-server infrastructures especially as filtering tends
to over stress routers.

In most cases I have found the best overall network performance is
achieved using TCP/IP from client to server and netBEUI/netBIOS from
local server to local server (due to it's lack of routeability) and
IPv6 where servers need to communicate directly with servers outside
of the local network. I would never attach a backup device over a
network unless absolutely necessary and if I did I would use IPv6
otherwise they would attach directly to the server or RAID

Although as the original question was which provides the fastest
connection over a LAN I would have to concede that IPX is the smaller
faster protocol but I wouldn't use it.

megamagician

Honorable

Leythos wrote:

> In article <c533v4$lcs$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au>, nospam@nospam.org
> says...
>
>>which provides faster connection for LAN games? IPX or TCT/IP?
>

> IPX is faster than TCP/IP, but you can't do IPX over the internet in
> multi-player games (in general).

IPX is a kludge, actually.

Back in the early 90's, there was a computer game Bolo for Macintosh.
Now, the game was good, but the real reason it was created was for
a doctoral thesis on networking. The creater invented the single
most efficient method of multiplayer serverless online gaming.

No servers, each client runs the program and the networking verifies
the data that is transmitted. Since everyone else's machine is
acting as a check, cheating is virtually impossible without
hardcore programming/decompiling the code.

Each machine only needs enough bandwidth to connect to 2-3
other machines, no matter if there are 5 or 50 players.
Really slick technology.

To date, nothing else comes close to this method, but - he cannot
release the technology, sell it, or even talk about it.

See - he went to work for Apple Computer, where he still works.

Due to their intellectual "big-brother" property rules, anything
the talks about, develops, or so much as LOOKS at on his own time
even in part becomes wholly Apple's property(Disney does the same
thing, btw).

**Note - Disney, Apple, Microsoft, and several other companies
all do this. The idea that what you do as a hobby on your free
time at home is somehow "owned" by your employer is ubsurd, yet
that's the state of affiars here in the U.S.**

So, in order to retain the rights to the networking patents,
he cannot answer emails, talk about it, sell it, or even look
at a single line of code. It sits and rots until he finally
leaves Apple. Sad, really.

Still, the quality that we have now with high-speed internet
is more than sufficient to allow decent online gaming, even
if it is client-server based. Of course, modem players are hosed.

The 24-32 player limit in most games, though, is a bit frustrating.
Currently there is no way to run a (central)serverless MMORPG and
with data requirements creeping ever-further upwards, we'll hit
10-20K per second requirements per machine in the next 4-5 years.

Hopefully he comes out of his cave and rejoins the rest of us.
We really need his code to keep from hitting that wall.

alright if everything is owned by said company, what if that person you mentioned above was to create a nasty virus and sent it to a goverment pc (got no idea how he would get it there but anyways) then the company would be charged as theoretically it would be there property? please tell others if it is true or not, i would say reply but the chances of me going back to this website are very slim! if it were true then apple, microsoft and other companies might be f***ed