Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Using wsh to control offline files

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 2:59:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript (More info?)

I've searched long and hard for this, but although I am sure it is possible
I've had no luck.

I'd like to write a wsh script that can does the equivalent of selecting the
"make available offline" option in a file/folder context menu.

I am trying to make it easier for users to work offline by allowing them to
choose the "jobs" they are working on (we are a construction company) - I
can then use a program to find the various files needed for a certain job.

Please redirect replies to the newsgroup: I will post my final solution (if
any) back in the newsgroup.

thanks!

-ross

More about : wsh control offline files

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:41:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

You might want to try the scripting newsgroup. They may have more
references for this.. I couldn't find any SDK at MS for this,
however... :( 

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:59:29 +0100, "Ross McKerchar" <null@null.com>
wrote:

>I've searched long and hard for this, but although I am sure it is possible
>I've had no luck.
>
>I'd like to write a wsh script that can does the equivalent of selecting the
>"make available offline" option in a file/folder context menu.
>
>I am trying to make it easier for users to work offline by allowing them to
>choose the "jobs" they are working on (we are a construction company) - I
>can then use a program to find the various files needed for a certain job.
>
>Please redirect replies to the newsgroup: I will post my final solution (if
>any) back in the newsgroup.
>
>thanks!
>
>-ross
>
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 10:40:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi Ross,

Thank you for posting!

Ross, for WSH question, you may ask microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
newsgroup.

Based on my research and monitor, when you set a file or folder "Make
offline available", it will create a registry key under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache\Shares.
However, the data of value "ID" and "LastSyncTime" is binary. Also,
Windows will create the folder under C:\Windows\CSC and copy the offline
file/folder under it. These files do not have extension.

I hope that the above information will be helpful when you creating the wsh
script.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

=====================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=====================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 1:27:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks for both of your help, I will take your advice, post to the wsh group
and copy any solutions into this thread.

-ross
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:12:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi Ross,

I am looking forward to your good news. Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

=====================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=====================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:44:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

fengmao@online.microsoft.com (Feng Mao) wrote in message news:<Ge4TkafbEHA.2804@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl>...
> Hi Ross,
>
> I am looking forward to your good news. Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>
> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>
> =====================================================
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> =====================================================
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I recently saw your post on the XP work remotely newsgroup and was wondering
if you could provide a bit more info. I don't want to do anything as
complex as Ross does with WSH scripting. I simply want to redirect my
offline files to a different partition than the default C:. Is there any
way to do this? We have a policy of 8 Gb primary partitions (for company
installed programs) that are loaded as images ,then the remainder of the
drive is available to the user for data and personal programs. I don't have
enough space on my 8 Gb partition for my offline files.

I noticed that I do not have a CSC folder. Is this because I am online when
I am looking for it? Is it visible only when you are offline? Thank you in
advance for any advice you may have.

Thanks
Shannon
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 2:26:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

If you are able to get access to the Windows 2000 Resource Kit files, there
is a utility to relocate the cache folder--cachemov.exe ??

This has been observed to work with XP Professional. I'm unaware of other
ways to achieve this goal, not that that says much!

"Shannon" <sdl@telus.net> wrote in message
news:53245863.0407271144.65f4eed9@posting.google.com...
> fengmao@online.microsoft.com (Feng Mao) wrote in message
> news:<Ge4TkafbEHA.2804@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl>...
>> Hi Ross,
>>
>> I am looking forward to your good news. Have a nice day!
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>>
>> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>>
>> =====================================================
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>> =====================================================
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>
> I recently saw your post on the XP work remotely newsgroup and was
> wondering
> if you could provide a bit more info. I don't want to do anything as
> complex as Ross does with WSH scripting. I simply want to redirect my
> offline files to a different partition than the default C:. Is there any
> way to do this? We have a policy of 8 Gb primary partitions (for company
> installed programs) that are loaded as images ,then the remainder of the
> drive is available to the user for data and personal programs. I don't
> have
> enough space on my 8 Gb partition for my offline files.
>
> I noticed that I do not have a CSC folder. Is this because I am online
> when
> I am looking for it? Is it visible only when you are offline? Thank you
> in
> advance for any advice you may have.
>
> Thanks
> Shannon
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 1:53:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks Bill. I will see if my IT guys can provide the resource kit
and give it a try.

Shannon

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message news:<uzhD4gDeEHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> If you are able to get access to the Windows 2000 Resource Kit files, there
> is a utility to relocate the cache folder--cachemov.exe ??
>
> This has been observed to work with XP Professional. I'm unaware of other
> ways to achieve this goal, not that that says much!
>
> "Shannon" <sdl@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:53245863.0407271144.65f4eed9@posting.google.com...
> > fengmao@online.microsoft.com (Feng Mao) wrote in message
> > news:<Ge4TkafbEHA.2804@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl>...
> >> Hi Ross,
> >>
> >> I am looking forward to your good news. Have a nice day!
> >>
> >> Thanks & Regards,
> >>
> >> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> >>
> >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> >>
> >> =====================================================
> >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> >> =====================================================
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> >> rights.
> >
> > I recently saw your post on the XP work remotely newsgroup and was
> > wondering
> > if you could provide a bit more info. I don't want to do anything as
> > complex as Ross does with WSH scripting. I simply want to redirect my
> > offline files to a different partition than the default C:. Is there any
> > way to do this? We have a policy of 8 Gb primary partitions (for company
> > installed programs) that are loaded as images ,then the remainder of the
> > drive is available to the user for data and personal programs. I don't
> > have
> > enough space on my 8 Gb partition for my offline files.
> >
> > I noticed that I do not have a CSC folder. Is this because I am online
> > when
> > I am looking for it? Is it visible only when you are offline? Thank you
> > in
> > advance for any advice you may have.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Shannon
!