HELP!!! Because of an error in data encryption, this sessi..

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello Group,
This problem is driving me crazy. I have searched the Net and I see
that others have had the same problem but no one seems to have the answer.
If there is anyone out there who knows the answer please post me the answer.

Thanks,
Bryan K

Can you describe the networking devices between your client location and the
host in question?

Is there any way to try the connection without some of those devices in
place?

For example: If there is a router connected to DSL or Cable, can you try
either without the router in place (Please be careful--make sure that your
firewall is active and closed to incoming connections!)--or test via a
dialup connection (same comments about firewall--even on a dialup!)?

"Bryan" <krossley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Hello Group,
> This problem is driving me crazy. I have searched the Net and I see
> that others have had the same problem but no one seems to have the answer.
> If there is anyone out there who knows the answer please post me the
answer.

> Thanks,
> Bryan K

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bill,
I have a Linksys Router Model BEFSR41. I have not tried it without the
router. In my came this may be hard because I have been testing it with
another computer on the LAN.

Bryan

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> Can you describe the networking devices between your client location and
the
> host in question?
>
> Is there any way to try the connection without some of those devices in
> place?
>
> For example: If there is a router connected to DSL or Cable, can you try
> either without the router in place (Please be careful--make sure that your
> firewall is active and closed to incoming connections!)--or test via a
> dialup connection (same comments about firewall--even on a dialup!)?
>

> "Bryan" <krossley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Group,
> > This problem is driving me crazy. I have searched the Net and I see
> > that others have had the same problem but no one seems to have the
answer.
> > If there is anyone out there who knows the answer please post me the
> answer.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bryan K

So--am I reading you correctly--you have a wired lan, with a BEFSR41 used as
both a switch and a nat/router.

You are testing RD between two devices on the wired lan, and you are getting
that error?

What applications are running while this test happens, on both machines?

> Bill,
> I have a Linksys Router Model BEFSR41. I have not tried it without the
> router. In my came this may be hard because I have been testing it with
> another computer on the LAN.
>
> Bryan
>

> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> Can you describe the networking devices between your client location and
> the
>> host in question?
>>
>> Is there any way to try the connection without some of those devices in
>> place?
>>
>> For example: If there is a router connected to DSL or Cable, can you try
>> either without the router in place (Please be careful--make sure that
>> your
>> firewall is active and closed to incoming connections!)--or test via a
>> dialup connection (same comments about firewall--even on a dialup!)?
>>

>> "Bryan" <krossley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello Group,
>> > This problem is driving me crazy. I have searched the Net and I
>> > see
>> > that others have had the same problem but no one seems to have the
> answer.
>> > If there is anyone out there who knows the answer please post me the
>> answer.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Bryan K

Yes that is correct. I only get an error when I am working with the computer
on the network. Connections outside the network seem to work fine.

> So--am I reading you correctly--you have a wired lan, with a BEFSR41 used
as
> both a switch and a nat/router.
>
> You are testing RD between two devices on the wired lan, and you are
getting
> that error?
>
> What applications are running while this test happens, on both machines?
>

> "Bryan" <krossley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Bill,
> > I have a Linksys Router Model BEFSR41. I have not tried it without
the
> > router. In my came this may be hard because I have been testing it with
> > another computer on the LAN.
> >
> > Bryan
> >

> > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> >> Can you describe the networking devices between your client location
and
> > the
> >> host in question?
> >>
> >> Is there any way to try the connection without some of those devices in
> >> place?
> >>
> >> For example: If there is a router connected to DSL or Cable, can you
try
> >> either without the router in place (Please be careful--make sure that
> >> your
> >> firewall is active and closed to incoming connections!)--or test via a
> >> dialup connection (same comments about firewall--even on a dialup!)?
> >>

> >> "Bryan" <krossley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > answer.
> >> answer.

I've seen only one other user with a similar issue.

In his case, he eventually came to believe that an application, newsbin
pro?? running on a different machine on the network was the cause of the
issue. We weren't able to come up with conclusive proof, however.

Do you, by any chance, have this machine set up in the DMZ of the router
portion of the Linksys? If so, I'd disable that, and just forward port
3389, TCP. I've seen some cases where using the DMZ seems to result in
errors.

If you have available a different switch or hub, it'd sure be interesting to
see whether using that instead of the Linksys (or in addition to
it--daisy-chained from the Linksys) makes this go away.

I've always believe that Linksys couldn't possibly get the straight
hub/switch functionality wrong--but maybe I'm mistaken?