Hi all, This is from the SP2 RC testing site and it may solve some remote log user problems. The guy I was talking to here is way down the list but maybe he will see too.

Hey TJ, :)

I think I found something.
This makes sense to me because when I got that “Start, disconnect� screen, it was many months ago from a W2k and that machine had a Nvidia driver that was really old, and the machine I was connecting to was the same one in the test above, only much older drivers.

Mystery solved, update your Nvidia video drivers on both machines.

This is from a Robin Walker on the SP2 RC2 testing NEWS Group.

I can confirm that I have been experiencing the same
symptoms, present in both RC1 and RC2. I noticed it
first because I could not connect with Remote Desktop
after an unattended restart of the RDP server PC: but you
are quite right, it is more general than that, it fails
whenever the user is not logged in at the local console
when the RDP connection is attempted.

I finally tracked it down to being caused by the Service
called "NVIDIA Display Driver Service".

Try disabling this service (use MSCONFIG, tab Services),
restart, and see if this problem goes away.

To follow up on my own post below, it appears that this
conflict between the NVIDIA drivers and Remote Desktop in
SP2 has been fixed in later beta versions of the NVIDIA
drivers. Certainly the problem does not exist in v62.01.

But this conflict DOES exist with the version of the
NVIDIA drivers (56.71) embedded in SP2 itself.

My Remote host is running 56.72 whtch is the current driver on the Nvaida site.

SJ