widows connection instead of pc anywhere?

I need help, I bought PC anywhere 11.0, and I want to install it at home,and work. At work I am running windows server 2000, and win xp pro on all computers. My question is should i just use the windows version of remote, versus installing pc anywhere? (which I have installed already), but I cant seem to connect. I am thinking it sould be the linksys router? Can some one help? I need to install and get it up and running quick, I know I can ping and all that and I have done a .255 to search for available ip addresses, but the one from my computer never shows up.
Can someone guide me Symantec has an impossible tech support, Is it as simple as installing pc anywhere then just typing in the ip addreses? I have done this but no luck they dont seem to find each other. Oh by the way i have dsl and t1-Thanks Gil

gl wrote:
> I need help, I bought PC anywhere 11.0, and I want to install it at
> home,and work. At work I am running windows server 2000, and win xp
> pro on all computers. My question is should i just use the windows
> version of remote, versus installing pc anywhere? (which I have
> installed already), but I cant seem to connect. I am thinking it
> sould be the linksys router? Can some one help? I need to install and
> get it up and running quick, I know I can ping and all that and I
> have done a .255 to search for available ip addresses, but the one
> from my computer never shows up. Can someone guide me Symantec has an
> impossible tech support, Is it as simple as installing pc anywhere
> then just typing in the ip addreses? I have done this but no luck
> they dont seem to find each other. Oh by the way i have dsl and

Why would you use PC Anywhere when you have Windows 2000 server and XP
(Professional?) everywhere? Remote Desktop should give you everything you
need and built into what you already have.. What is it that you are using
that you need PC Anywhere for?

If you are trying to get to the computer from outside the router, you will
need to forward the ports through to the computer(s) in question and connect
either giving the port (except to the one that stays default (3389).)

--
<- Shenan ->

Thank you Shenan, I realaized that remote desktop was the way but my Father-in-Law had bought and installed pc anywhere, already sop I am just trying to configure it, for him.(its for our business) Yes I also believe it is the port forwarding, that is causing my lack of connection, do is till need to configure the ports, to use remote apllication from windows? Thanks you email me at gl49er@hotmail.com

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> gl wrote:
> > I need help, I bought PC anywhere 11.0, and I want to install it at
> > home,and work. At work I am running windows server 2000, and win xp
> > pro on all computers. My question is should i just use the windows
> > version of remote, versus installing pc anywhere? (which I have
> > installed already), but I cant seem to connect. I am thinking it
> > sould be the linksys router? Can some one help? I need to install and
> > get it up and running quick, I know I can ping and all that and I
> > have done a .255 to search for available ip addresses, but the one
> > from my computer never shows up. Can someone guide me Symantec has an
> > impossible tech support, Is it as simple as installing pc anywhere
> > then just typing in the ip addreses? I have done this but no luck
> > they dont seem to find each other. Oh by the way i have dsl and
>
> Why would you use PC Anywhere when you have Windows 2000 server and XP
> (Professional?) everywhere? Remote Desktop should give you everything you
> need and built into what you already have.. What is it that you are using
> that you need PC Anywhere for?
>
> If you are trying to get to the computer from outside the router, you will
> need to forward the ports through to the computer(s) in question and connect
> either giving the port (except to the one that stays default (3389).)
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

It looks like PCAnywhere uses...

TCP Port 5631
TCP Port 5632

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/ports.mspx