Help With XP Web Server

I am trying to set up a Web Server on XP. I have installed all of the
components but I am have trouble getting it to work outside the LAN. I want
to use the remote connection accessed through IE 6. If I put my IP address
in the address bar or IE on the LAN it works find. But I can not get a
connection from another computer outside the local LAN.

Bryan Krossley

You need to forward both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 (RDP) in order to access the web based
Remote Desktop from a remote site. This presumes that your ISP is *NOT* blocking TCP Port 80, since
running a web server may violate the terms of agreement with your ISP.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Bryan Krossley" <krossley@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to set up a Web Server on XP. I have installed all of the
> components but I am have trouble getting it to work outside the LAN. I want
> to use the remote connection accessed through IE 6. If I put my IP address
> in the address bar or IE on the LAN it works find. But I can not get a
> connection from another computer outside the local LAN.
>
> Bryan Krossley

Al's mentioned the major issue I'm familiar with this--ISP's blocking port
80.

Check the TOS (terms of service)--in the case of Verizon, for example, in
portions of their network, port 80 is blocked. However, the TOS doesn't
forbid running a non-commercial web server--they just make it a bit more
difficult.

You must, of course, be using the public IP address assigned to your
connection by the ISP, and not a private IP address originating in a router
or other device connecting you to the Internet.