remotely connect to Active Directory

July 20, 2004 10:59:05 AM

how can i? or can i even do this?

maybe via a web browser.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:45:57 PM

I'm not much of an AD expert. What do you want to be able to do?

If your remote machine is joined to the AD domain, and you connect via a VPN
connection, I thnk you can do anything you'd want. Likewise, a remote
machine using Remote Desktop to connect to a host which is joined to the AD
domain should also be able to do whatever is needed.

"Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how can i? or can i even do this?
>
> maybe via a web browser.
July 20, 2004 3:45:58 PM

thanks for responding,

what i really want to do is access my active users and
group via a web browser. let's say:

Im across the street working on one of my user's PC (of
course he/she is at lunch) and I forget the password, i
dont wanna run back and forth to change it, ect. I would
like to change it rigth there without installing any
extra software.

July 20, 2004 8:48:54 PM

You want to be to have Terminal Services installed in Remote Administration
mode on a Windows 2000 server. This gives you two administrative sessions
besides the console session, which can be used to run such admin tasks.

From the workstation perspective, if you have XP, there's nothing to
add--just run Remote Desktop Connection.

If the workstation is something else, you'll need to add the RDC. It's
downloadable, and small--you can, in fact, fit it on a floppy, I believe,
but it is a stretch.

I do this quite regularly in just the kind of circumstance you mention.

> thanks for responding,
>
> what i really want to do is access my active users and
> group via a web browser. let's say:
>
> Im across the street working on one of my user's PC (of
> course he/she is at lunch) and I forget the password, i
> dont wanna run back and forth to change it, ect. I would
> like to change it rigth there without installing any
> extra software.

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:52:45 PM

One other note.

You can install IIS and the Web Connection method. This does an automatic
install of an ActiveX control on the client machine when you connect to the
server via browser.

I've not done this with Windows 2000 servers, so I'm not sure what the
precise details of installing and upgrading to the latest bits are. I
prefer installing code on the workstations versus having the extra security
effort required to secure IIS.

!