remotely connect to Active Directory

how can i? or can i even do this?

maybe via a web browser.
4 answers Last reply
More about remotely connect active directory

    I'm not much of an AD expert. What do you want to be able to do?

    If your remote machine is joined to the AD domain, and you connect via a VPN
    connection, I thnk you can do anything you'd want. Likewise, a remote
    machine using Remote Desktop to connect to a host which is joined to the AD
    domain should also be able to do whatever is needed.

    "Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how can i? or can i even do this?
    >
    > maybe via a web browser.

    thanks for responding,

    what i really want to do is access my active users and
    group via a web browser. let's say:

    Im across the street working on one of my user's PC (of
    course he/she is at lunch) and I forget the password, i
    dont wanna run back and forth to change it, ect. I would
    like to change it rigth there without installing any
    extra software.

    You want to be to have Terminal Services installed in Remote Administration
    mode on a Windows 2000 server. This gives you two administrative sessions
    besides the console session, which can be used to run such admin tasks.

    From the workstation perspective, if you have XP, there's nothing to
    add--just run Remote Desktop Connection.

    If the workstation is something else, you'll need to add the RDC. It's
    downloadable, and small--you can, in fact, fit it on a floppy, I believe,
    but it is a stretch.

    I do this quite regularly in just the kind of circumstance you mention.

    > thanks for responding,
    >
    > what i really want to do is access my active users and
    > group via a web browser. let's say:
    >
    > Im across the street working on one of my user's PC (of
    > course he/she is at lunch) and I forget the password, i
    > dont wanna run back and forth to change it, ect. I would
    > like to change it rigth there without installing any
    > extra software.

    One other note.

    You can install IIS and the Web Connection method. This does an automatic
    install of an ActiveX control on the client machine when you connect to the
    server via browser.

    I've not done this with Windows 2000 servers, so I'm not sure what the
    precise details of installing and upgrading to the latest bits are. I
    prefer installing code on the workstations versus having the extra security
    effort required to secure IIS.

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > You want to be to have Terminal Services installed in Remote
    > Administration mode on a Windows 2000 server. This gives you two
    > administrative sessions besides the console session, which can be used to
    > run such admin tasks.
    >
    > From the workstation perspective, if you have XP, there's nothing to
    > add--just run Remote Desktop Connection.
    >
    > If the workstation is something else, you'll need to add the RDC. It's
    > downloadable, and small--you can, in fact, fit it on a floppy, I believe,
    > but it is a stretch.
    >
    > I do this quite regularly in just the kind of circumstance you mention.
    >
    > "Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> thanks for responding,
    >>
    >> what i really want to do is access my active users and
    >> group via a web browser. let's say:
    >>
    >> Im across the street working on one of my user's PC (of
    >> course he/she is at lunch) and I forget the password, i
    >> dont wanna run back and forth to change it, ect. I would
    >> like to change it rigth there without installing any
    >> extra software.

Web Browser Connection Microsoft Active Directory Windows XP