Sign in with
Your question

Firewall

Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2011 3:46:22 PM

I don't understand what Windows Firewall is doing because I don't know what other choice to make other than to allow a program through that asks to be let through.

More about : firewall

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2011 6:17:10 PM

bmxjumperc said:
I don't know what other choice to make other than to allow a program through
The only choices are yes or no. If you say yes you're allowing the program access outside the firewall so it can communicate across a network or on the internet. Uncertain if a program should be allowed access?

You can and see what programs have access through the firewall and get a bit more detail on the program. Highlight a program and use the Details button. Generally, you should know if a program should have access outside the firewall (like a web browser or an online game).

When you're not sure a specific programs website should have enough information that helps you decide if a program should be allowed access through the firewall.
In some instances you'll need to Google a service to find out what program it supposed. Bonjour Service would be one example and a Google search will tell you it supports Apple's iTunes program.

To see the list of programs with access outside the firewall, type firewall into the Search box on the Start Menu, and choose Windows Firewall in the Control Panel group.
On the Firewall page chose the Allow a program or feature through the Windows Firewall
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 412 $ Windows 7
January 3, 2011 8:32:38 PM

plus 1 for wr2!
m
l
!