Hi. I'm a newbie looking for a good video editing program I can grow
with a little. It would be nice to find something that could do what a
standard still image editing program can do, such as (1) rotate the
video frame (e.g. 90 degrees clockwise) and (2) adjust an entire clip
for hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, etc. It would also be nice if
the program could also convert between .avi, .wmf, .rm, mpeg, mpeg-4,
etc. What do you recommend? Thanks for your help... Bruce

"Bruce Brown" <bb@astonisher.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm a newbie looking for a good video editing program I can grow
> with a little. It would be nice to find something that could do what a
> standard still image editing program can do, such as (1) rotate the
> video frame (e.g. 90 degrees clockwise) and (2) adjust an entire clip
> for hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, etc. It would also be nice if
> the program could also convert between .avi, .wmf, .rm, mpeg, mpeg-4,
> etc. What do you recommend? Thanks for your help... Bruce

You could check-out Magix Video Deluxe 2.0, it may be
the cheapest that can do all that, when it works. I'm using
it with MPEG2 clips and having trouble with some operations.
It could be that it'll only work correctly with the less compressed
formats. Even if I can't get it all to work the parts that do are
worth what I paid for it.

www.magix.com

Luck;
Ken

Hi Ken. Thanks for the tip. I cruised to Magix.com's Web site and I
gather the program you're talking about is Movie Edit Pro 2004? I
looked at the features and I don't actually see rotation and color
adjustement mentioned, but you've used it and it works for these sorts
of things? Bruce

> Hi Ken. Thanks for the tip. I cruised to Magix.com's Web site and I
> gather the program you're talking about is Movie Edit Pro 2004? I
> looked at the features and I don't actually see rotation and color
> adjustement mentioned, but you've used it and it works for these sorts
> of things? Bruce
>
>> You could check-out Magix Video Deluxe 2.0, it may be
>> the cheapest that can do all that, when it works. I'm using
>> it with MPEG2 clips and having trouble with some operations.
>> It could be that it'll only work correctly with the less compressed
>> formats. Even if I can't get it all to work the parts that do are
>> worth what I paid for it.
>>
>> www.magix.com

I can't be sure about the Movie Edit Pro 2004, as I've
only used their earlier products, the Movie Edit Pro series
was developed from the Video Deluxe series and should
have more features. From what I've seen of the 2004, it
has the same interface as the Video Deluxe. The Video
Deluxe only had the "Non-destructive" editing mode, but
could do 32 tracks.

If you look at the "Details" page under "Image Restoration"
there is a reference to your color issues, and there is a
screen with a drawn-in wave showing; the big round knob
lets you rotate the image. The other controls in the same
box do flips and such.

I was checking out their site as I was writing this and didn't
see a trial download or any reference to Video Deluxe, this
is very odd as I just upgraded from Video Deluxe SE to the
"Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus E" a few days ago. Checking on
www.videohelp.com it appears that they used to use the
Video Deluxe name, in the USA, for the Movie Edit series.
Now they are only using the Movie Edit name, even here in
the USA.

I originally picked-up the "Video Deluxe SE" CD from a
manager's sale table at Comp-USA, for $2.50. They
still have it listed, on an order form that came with my
upgrade, at $9.95. You might find a copy of that on a
under $9.99 rack somewhere. (it can rotate and adjust
color)

Luck;
Ken

>Hi. I'm a newbie looking for a good video editing program I can grow
>with a little. It would be nice to find something that could do what a
>standard still image editing program can do, such as (1) rotate the
>video frame (e.g. 90 degrees clockwise) and (2) adjust an entire clip
>for hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, etc. It would also be nice if
>the program could also convert between .avi, .wmf, .rm, mpeg, mpeg-4,
>etc. What do you recommend? Thanks for your help... Bruce

Both freewares VirtualDub and WinXP MovieMaker 2 can do the first two
tasks. So can TMPGenc with Avisynth support. And they can do at least
some of the conversions mentioned above; other freewares can handle
the rest.