Remote Desktop via VPN connection - black screen

I am having a problem with getting a remote desktop session established.
Here are the specifics:

1. I create a VPN connection to the remote network using CISCOs VPN client.
This connection establishes correctly and I can ping all hosts on the remote
network.
2. When I try to establish a remote desktop connection, however, I get a
black screen and (after 30 seconds or so) the error message "The connection
to the remote computer was broken. This may have been caused by a network
error. Please try connecting to the remote computer again."

A few months ago, I was able to connect with no problem using the same
computer. A workaround that I used successfully for several months was to
connect via VPN and remote desktop to my computer at work (no problem) and
then establish a VPN and remote desktop from that computer to the remote
machine that I really wanted to get to. Much to my surprise, this actually
worked! Unfortunately, I am no longer with the same company, so this route
is no longer available to me.

By the way, I have tried the black hole router fix and this does not help.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike
2 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection black screen

    Are you trying to set up the remote control using machine
    name or IP address? I know I have to use IP address, and
    set static IPs here, or else add entries to point me to
    the machine name..

    I've tried both ways. Same results (black screen) with both.

    > Are you trying to set up the remote control using machine
    > name or IP address? I know I have to use IP address, and
    > set static IPs here, or else add entries to point me to
    > the machine name..

Remote Desktop Connection VPN Windows XP