Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Terminal Server Client for Windows XP

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:00:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows XP. I am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find it. XP doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this service compatible and instalable on Windows XP?
July 20, 2004 5:14:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Use the Remote Desktop Connection (under Accessories | Communications). It
comes with XP and takes the place of the Terminal Server Client that had to
be separately installed with Windows 2000.


"Tomas Palomo" <Tomas Palomo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:55B5D5EF-849B-42BA-9CDF-9ABDF049CC47@microsoft.com...
> I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows XP. I
am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find it. XP
doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this service compatible
and instalable on Windows XP?
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:14:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Is there a way to migrate the links from TSC 2000 to XP?

"Mike" wrote:

> Use the Remote Desktop Connection (under Accessories | Communications). It
> comes with XP and takes the place of the Terminal Server Client that had to
> be separately installed with Windows 2000.
>
>
> "Tomas Palomo" <Tomas Palomo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:55B5D5EF-849B-42BA-9CDF-9ABDF049CC47@microsoft.com...
> > I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows XP. I
> am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find it. XP
> doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this service compatible
> and instalable on Windows XP?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:28:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I am also trying to install Terminal Services on a Windows XP machine but can't find it also. I am aware of Remote Desktop but I am trying to login to a the Windows XP machine from a Windows 2000 Server machine which doesn't have Remote Desktop so I need to install the client on Windows XP. How would I go about doing that since I can't use adminpak.msi on Windows XP?

"Tomas Palomo" wrote:

> I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows XP. I am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find it. XP doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this service compatible and instalable on Windows XP?
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:32:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I am also trying to install Terminal Services on an XP machine but not able to. I am aware of Remote Desktop but that doesn't help me in my situation. I need to install the client on the XP machine in order for my Windows 2000 server to login. How would I go about installing the client on the XP since adminpak doesn't work on XP?

"Tomas Palomo" wrote:

> I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows XP. I am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find it. XP doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this service compatible and instalable on Windows XP?
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 12:57:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

What links? Shortcuts? The file name is different.

Tomas Palomo wrote:
> Is there a way to migrate the links from TSC 2000 to XP?
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
>> Use the Remote Desktop Connection (under Accessories |
>> Communications). It comes with XP and takes the place of the
>> Terminal Server Client that had to be separately installed with
>> Windows 2000.
>>
>>
>> "Tomas Palomo" <Tomas Palomo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:55B5D5EF-849B-42BA-9CDF-9ABDF049CC47@microsoft.com...
>>> I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows
>>> XP. I
>> am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find
>> it. XP doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this
>> service compatible and instalable on Windows XP?
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 2:00:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Your terminology is confusing.

You've said that you wish to connect to a Windows XP machine from a Windows
2000 Server machine.

The Windows XP machine must be Windows XP Professional. In the remote tab,
in properties of My Computer, enable Remote Desktop.

On the Windows 2000 Server machine, you need an RDP client. I don't recall
what came with Windows 2000--something did, and if you are really worried
about adding code to the server you can use that.

You could also download the latest Remote Desktop client piece for Windows
Server 2003, and run that on the Windows 2000 server. In this usage, the
server is the "client" and the XP machine is the "host."

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...


"Joel A." <Joel A.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3B8852B0-D781-41F1-9612-52A428D11E90@microsoft.com...
>I am also trying to install Terminal Services on a Windows XP machine but
>can't find it also. I am aware of Remote Desktop but I am trying to login
>to a the Windows XP machine from a Windows 2000 Server machine which
>doesn't have Remote Desktop so I need to install the client on Windows XP.
>How would I go about doing that since I can't use adminpak.msi on Windows
>XP?
>
> "Tomas Palomo" wrote:
>
>> I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows XP. I
>> am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find it. XP
>> doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this service compatible
>> and instalable on Windows XP?
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 12:35:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Joel A. wrote:
> I am also trying to install Terminal Services on an XP machine but
> not able to. I am aware of Remote Desktop but that doesn't help me
> in my situation.

Terminal services = remote desktop.

> I need to install the client on the XP machine

The TS/RD client is already installed on XP. Go to start | run | mstsc
<enter> and you'll see it.

> in
> order for my Windows 2000 server to login.

I don't know what you mean by that....

> How would I go about
> installing the client on the XP since adminpak doesn't work on XP?

You already have the TS client - you can get the latest Remote Desktop
Client from microsoft.com/downloads.
>
> "Tomas Palomo" wrote:
>
>> I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows
>> XP. I am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot
>> find it. XP doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this
>> service compatible and instalable on Windows XP?
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 12:56:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Yes, the shortcuts. The filename is actually the same its just in different location, but the shortcuts seem to be calling information stored within the program, for exampe:
"C:\Archivos de programa\Terminal Server Client\MSTSC.EXE" "San Salvador"
Is there a way to migrate them from the TSC 2000 format to the XP Remote Desktop?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> What links? Shortcuts? The file name is different.
>
> Tomas Palomo wrote:
> > Is there a way to migrate the links from TSC 2000 to XP?
> >
> > "Mike" wrote:
> >
> >> Use the Remote Desktop Connection (under Accessories |
> >> Communications). It comes with XP and takes the place of the
> >> Terminal Server Client that had to be separately installed with
> >> Windows 2000.
> >>
> >>
> >> "Tomas Palomo" <Tomas Palomo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:55B5D5EF-849B-42BA-9CDF-9ABDF049CC47@microsoft.com...
> >>> I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows
> >>> XP. I
> >> am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find
> >> it. XP doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this
> >> service compatible and instalable on Windows XP?
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 5:45:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Tomas Palomo wrote:
> Yes, the shortcuts. The filename is actually the same its just in
> different location, but the shortcuts seem to be calling information
> stored within the program, for exampe: "C:\Archivos de
> programa\Terminal Server Client\MSTSC.EXE" "San Salvador" Is there a
> way to migrate them from the TSC 2000 format to the XP Remote
> Desktop?

Don't think so, but you can save .rdp files and just send them to users
(with the server name, connection info,etc. preconfigured therein).

>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> What links? Shortcuts? The file name is different.
>>
>> Tomas Palomo wrote:
>>> Is there a way to migrate the links from TSC 2000 to XP?
>>>
>>> "Mike" wrote:
>>>
>>>> Use the Remote Desktop Connection (under Accessories |
>>>> Communications). It comes with XP and takes the place of the
>>>> Terminal Server Client that had to be separately installed with
>>>> Windows 2000.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Tomas Palomo" <Tomas Palomo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>>> message news:55B5D5EF-849B-42BA-9CDF-9ABDF049CC47@microsoft.com...
>>>>> I am a tech support worker configuring a new laptop with Windows
>>>>> XP. I
>>>> am suppoed to install the Terminal Server Client, but cannot find
>>>> it. XP doesn't bring the option in the Control Panel. Is this
>>>> service compatible and instalable on Windows XP?
!